Discussion: Why do you use anabolics?

logan

logan

Board Supporter
Awards
I am getting ready to start my first cycle. I shared this information with my bestfriend who is informed about anabolics and not brainwashed by the media into thinking they are "the devil". He feels they have there place when it comes to speeding up injuries in sports ... etc

However he has a huge problem with vanity, which is using them just for the sole purpose of looking great; and says "excessive pride in one's appearance is not worth debating about."

Since I am not going to be using them to improve an injury or help cope with a muscle wasting illness he is does not agree with me using them.

Coming from an artistic background I always looked upon bodybuilding not just as a fun hobby but like sculpting. Until now I have been using a hammer and chisel(good natural working out) to sculpt. Now I want to use some power tolls to help me out(anabolics). Using power tools is a bit riskier, however it will help me get my sculpture to where I want it to be a lot faster.

Is that vein of me? He has used creatine in the past. One could argue that he was just as vein for using creatine because it speeds things up. It may not have the same risks but it does help you out.

If anabolics had the same risk as creatine would using them still be vein?

just a bunch of stuff I'm thinking about right now.
what do you guys think? does someone just wanting to add some extra muscle by using anabolics in an informed and non abusive manner make them vein?

lightweight

Awards
I don't think the use of anabolics in the manner you describe to be vain. I have been lifting weights for years and i use anabolics to break my genetic barrier, in an effort to look better and feel better about myself. IMO i believe the decision to use anabolics /OTC sups should be based on the users opinions and no one eles. If you want to look and feel better then do it as an artist you can appreciate the work you create.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
One of the problems is that when you stop a portion of your "gains" disappears. For a lot of guys this fact, along with the subsequent hormonal "crash" results in depression and a subsequent need to get back "on". Therefore; in my humble opinion a guy should only use in order to augment training and set realistic goals and expectations. A man has a genetic set point wherein he can only gain and maintain so much muscle tissue. Yes you can circumvent that, but you have to stay on for life, doesnt sound realistic to me.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
All i can comment on is the fact that you only live once, now that doesnt mean smoke meth cause you live once, or rob a bank....... But we take drugs for headaches, fever, nausea, heartburn, upset stomach, diahhrea yay pepto lol. Mental disorders, physical ailments, vanity...... Why use the advance of science in a reactory sense?, Why because there are some serious positve effects,who the fat ass lazy law makers dont use or benefit from, do the ignorant masses consider supps cheating? Why do people eat huge amounts of fat into there system get huge get drunk do coke but make laws that limit what i can put into MY body. Smoking kills 50% of the people that use it WHY are AS illegal in the damn first place. Why does society atttach such a negative stigma towards designer steroids, creatine, CEE, to the average non lifter its all the same anyway but hey know what a 26 is, or what a kingsize cigarette pack is, and what super size me means.
What is vain about inproving your body, the sole vessel of your soul, the greatest tool you ever operate, own or have.
Now this is assuming you have taken all the measures to make your beneficial efforts as benificial as possible meaning all the neccesary measures are taken. How can some fatty sit on his couch on sunday scream bloody murder to a fumble ball when he can barely get his ass in the tub to clean of the caked feces he couldnt get at when he crapped. He does play ball but he has an opinion about it. I think you should use the tools available to you to make yourself happy healthy and inform yourself about what your ingesting or choosing.
as oppposed to the popular method following the masses when the masses are fat dying smokers who drink to be social.

dwass

dwass

Awards
I am by no means an experienced user, but I will say that anybody who calls the use of anabolics purely vain simply doesn't get it. For those of us who are serious about lifting/bodybuilding, it is not a matter of vanity but a matter of challenging outselves.

Sure, there are those guys who use AAS just to get a six-pack so they can score a few more chicks on spring break, but I'd equate those guys to the people who put chrome turbos on their cars to win car shows - not to race.

From what I've seen and read, the guys here on AM are the ones who'll put the turbo on for the gain in power and the ability to go faster. They're using the AAS as a tool to be better - not to jerk off to their own reflections in the mirror. When an intelligent user looks in the mirror, he may be proud of what he's done, but he'll be more critical of himself than anything else.

Not all of us were born Ferraris.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am by no means an experienced user, but I will say that anybody who calls the use of anabolics purely vain simply doesn't get it. For those of us who are serious about lifting/bodybuilding, it is not a matter of vanity but a matter of challenging outselves.
The problem is I know MORE weekend warriors who gas themselves just because than I know bodybuilders who do it to improve their physique.

Sorry to say, but for most gear users, its vainity that they use not because they are concerned about building a complete physique to compete with.

If it wasn't vaniety, then there should be no problems in wanting to push past your barriers while natural.

I guess some people just need to rationalize their actions instead of simply saying this si what I am doing and I really don't care what others think.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
All i can comment on is the fact that you only live once, now that doesnt mean smoke meth cause you live once, or rob a bank....... But we take drugs for headaches, fever, nausea, heartburn, upset stomach, diahhrea yay pepto lol. Mental disorders, physical ailments, vanity...... Why use the advance of science in a reactory sense?, Why because there are some serious positve effects,who the fat ass lazy law makers dont use or benefit from, do the ignorant masses consider supps cheating? Why do people eat huge amounts of fat into there system get huge get drunk do coke but make laws that limit what i can put into MY body. Smoking kills 50% of the people that use it WHY are AS illegal in the damn first place. Why does society atttach such a negative stigma towards designer steroids, creatine, CEE, to the average non lifter its all the same anyway but hey know what a 26 is, or what a kingsize cigarette pack is, and what super size me means.
What is vain about inproving your body, the sole vessel of your soul, the greatest tool you ever operate, own or have.
Now this is assuming you have taken all the measures to make your beneficial efforts as benificial as possible meaning all the neccesary measures are taken. How can some fatty sit on his couch on sunday scream bloody murder to a fumble ball when he can barely get his ass in the tub to clean of the caked feces he couldnt get at when he crapped. He does play ball but he has an opinion about it. I think you should use the tools available to you to make yourself happy healthy and inform yourself about what your ingesting or choosing.
as oppposed to the popular method following the masses when the masses are fat dying smokers who drink to be social.
excellent post.

the42nd

Awards
Any attempt to isolate one particular action as an indulgence of vanity seems highly illogical. Our entire society has vanity built into its foundation. Working out in general is a form of vanity. The clothes one wears everyday is usually determined with some level of vanity. As a race we enjoy looking good and looking at people who look good. Undoubtedly this leads to an ego-centric society, but I highly doubt that the elimination of steroids in any way changes this unavoidable occurrence.

logan

logan

Board Supporter
Awards
If it wasn't vaniety, then there should be no problems in wanting to push past your barriers while natural.
what difference is there between using anabolics or any other supplement to push past your barriers and doing it naturally?

A person not using AAS can be be just as vein or more so than someone using all avaible means to further their body to what they desire.

The lighter build with a six pack is what the masses are pushing for. Wouldn't the person trying to achieve that "look" be more vein than someone using AAS making up there own image of themselves? An image that may very well not be what the "masses" would consider the ideal physique.

You can be vein if you are an AAS user or a natural. Just because you decide to use anabolics doesn't mean you are vein.

logan

logan

Board Supporter
Awards
Any attempt to isolate one particular action as an indulgence of vanity seems highly illogical. Our entire society has vanity built into its foundation. Working out in general is a form of vanity. The clothes one wears everyday is usually determined with some level of vanity. As a race we enjoy looking good and looking at people who look good. Undoubtedly this leads to an ego-centric society, but I highly doubt that the elimination of steroids in any way changes this unavoidable occurrence.
exactly! what I was trying to get at with previous post.
Well put mate!:cheers:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't start working out for vanity. I started for athletics. To get bigger, stronger and faster.

Now? I train to compete. No vanity on my side. I wear baggy clothes in and out of the gym. I covered up when possible. No vanity here.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Strange that a women can go under anesthesia and have surgery performed to enlarge her breasts for cosmetic purposes and hardly anyone bats an eye. I take some supps and I am a vein criminal? Just doesn't make sense. I can go to the liquer store and buy as much whiskey as I want and drink my liver into a pile of mush and it's no biggie, just have another smoke. Sheesh.

But yeah, i'm vein, so what. I am never happy with how I look. If I cut up I feel too small, I start bulking up and I feel too fat. I swear i'm worse than a little bitch sometimes! ( Beelz's bitch )

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Strange that a women can go under anesthesia and have surgery performed to enlarge her breasts for cosmetic purposes and hardly anyone bats an eye. I take some supps and I am a vein criminal? Just doesn't make sense. I can go to the liquer store and buy as much whiskey as I want and drink my liver into a pile of mush and it's no biggie, just have another smoke. Sheesh.

But yeah, i'm vein, so what. I am never happy with how I look. If I cut up I feel too small, I start bulking up and I feel too fat. I swear i'm worse than a little bitch sometimes! ( Beelz's bitch )
This is the point i was making so i agree with you completely. I hate to sound like a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but theres alot more money in a society with private health care to have fat madically dependant people who opt to be the ultimate consumer. EAt get fat get sick eat medications get hospital service, die broke, before you get pension or benefits.
Epedrine makes people skinny and supresses appetite, BANNED
the FDA legalizes drugs to be put in food that serve no function other than to make us fatter and hungrier, have you read up on what asparatame can do to you? have you ever seen these drugs they advertise on t.v side effects include, dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, diahrea, heart palpitaions, irrational behavior...... all this to lower BP how about eating, working out and taking ephedrine while consuming a low fat diet. Ranting any way I think for myself and i think the rules around what i can do ar skewed to say the least. Why cant i marry my cousin lol. kidding

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Pick your poison folks. We all have different goals in life some are willing to take that extra step despite the consequences that may or may not lie ahead. I think we all have our reasons for our behavior. I don't really care why anyone takes anabolics. My reasons are just that, my reasons. Regardless of why the fact is you either take them or you don't.

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
Damn, you guys are on fire! Great posts!

My .02¢: I use anabolics 'cause I stopped growing naturally and I love lifting. But lifting without improvement would be painfully pointless, wouldn't it? So that's that. No regrets, and my vanity hasn't increased from the "enhancement".

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i agree the posts have been outstanding so far.

why do i use? because i like it. big fucking deal if i'm vain (which is the correct spelling BTW, lol). is it so wrong to be proud of what i have worked so hard to obtain? what, if i cover up in baggy winter clothes, does that make me more 'acceptable' or 'moral' to the fat fucks who shovel down big macs, biggie fries, and a 98oz bucket o' coke? good, i hope they hate it. i hope they're sick of it and despise me. i'm sick of the obesity rate of this country but i don't hear so many lectures on that nowadays. no, steroids are the problem :rolleyes:.

i see this **** all the time with these morbidly obese fuckers eating extra cheese pizzas, burgers, ice cream, etc., but hey, that's ok, cuz they're showing us what rebels they are by not conforming to a healthy body image. yeah, i'm really fucking impressed you fat lard. get the hell out of here with that ****. why do i use? i like to lift weights, i like to be big, i like the nervous looks i get when i walk into a room fill with a bunch of pasty faced punks who play video games all day and feel a rush when they successfully hack into someone elses computer.

why do i use? mainly, because i want to.

nuff said

the42nd

Awards
I didn't start working out for vanity. I started for athletics. To get bigger, stronger and faster.

Now? I train to compete. No vanity on my side. I wear baggy clothes in and out of the gym. I covered up when possible. No vanity here.
I find that competition is not devoid of vanity. Forgive me, but I am going to quote Merriam-Webster for a definition of vanity:
"inflated pride in oneself or one's appearance "

Thus vanity exists not simply in physical appearance. Competition can allow one to prove their ability or dominance, which in and of itself is a vain effort.

With regards to the posted question I use AAS for achievement in many forms. It is simply another tool used in achieveing the goals I have set throughout my life.

Furthermore, this board has some of the best discussions of any type of board I've occasioned, and I am proud of the maturity level(when appropriate:blink: ) exhibited by everyone here.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Vanity also means: the quality of being valueless or futile.

There is deff some value to being fit and attractive: More ass, position at a new job ( they chose you because the other applicants were academically equal but fat ass' and it shows dedication to maintain a good physique), more ass, good role model for younger peeps, more ass .... you get the picture.

the42nd

Awards
Vanity also means: the quality of being valueless or futile.

There is deff some value to being fit and attractive: More ass, position at a new job ( they chose you because the other applicants were academically equal but fat ass' and it shows dedication to maintain a good physique), more ass, good role model for younger peeps, more ass .... you get the picture.
I get the pcture, but what's up with the "more ass"?
:wave:

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Pick your poison folks. We all have different goals in life some are willing to take that extra step despite the consequences that may or may not lie ahead. I think we all have our reasons for our behavior. I don't really care why anyone takes anabolics. My reasons are just that, my reasons. Regardless of why the fact is you either take them or you don't.

You nailed it right on the head. My reasons are the best so let it be at that.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established

Bigdaddyandy

Awards
I take them pretty much out of curiosity, to see what I can do.
Hell why NOT take them?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do not have a problem with AAS in the least. I get the impression some of you think I do. lol

What I have a problem is when people try to rationalize and justify what they do and why they do it. Just call a spade a spade. For those that compete or are looking to compete (this is for powerlifting or any type of athletics) then the main purpose of AAS is not for vanity reasons in my opinion. There is justification to using (to win).

For those that do not compete in anything, you can challenge and improve yourself without being enhanced. You just choose not to because a) its harder; b) takes longer; and c) want to look as good as you can as quick as you can for as long as you can (vanity).

Its all good guys. Just stop trying to rationalize and justify the reasons for why we do what we do.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bingo. No rationalizing. No justification. You do what you do because you WANT to.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
HouseMan You are right, and i choose to use something that will make me bigger than what i will be naturally And I want to win in the mirror call me vain then, just dont call me fat, I refuse to go back. And what the hell is natural? not justification, not rationalizing, just a question?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
HouseMan You are right, and i choose to use something that will make me bigger than what i will be naturally And I want to win in the mirror call me vain then, just dont call me fat, I refuse to go back. And what the hell is natural? not justification, not rationalizing, just a question?
Natural = not enhanced.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
A guy can make gains without anything but exercise and food.For me its about strength and maintaining muscle, age causes a certain amount of atrophy as well as sarcopenia (yuck) an occasional OTC cycle helps allay that, ageing doesnt have to occur so completely and rapidly if we supplement in a prudent and sensible manner.

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the fat fucks who shovel down big macs, biggie fries, and a 98oz bucket o' coke
Hey man thats my post workout meal dammit.:nono: You don't see me callin you names. You ink covered muscle freak:rasp:

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
On a serious note I use because I have spent years training naturally trying all the natural supps I could trying to keep up with my juiced up friends trying not to let it bother me that that were accomplishing so much more. Finally I realized the importance of diet. I started getting big quick. But then after a while it slowed down, alot. Now to make those gains and to get where I want to be I feel I need to be enhanced.

Sure where I want to be makes me vain. Bodybuilders may need this **** to get where there at. But I have never met one that isn't vain. Whether you compete or not if you want a certain look you need juice. Period. You cannot be 250-300 lbs of solid, rock hard muscle at 8% bf naturally at 5-10 or less. NO WAY. If you want that you are going to need aas.

I like the way I feel when I am on. I like the way they make me look. Do I like the fact that I have to use to get there, no. But the benefits win over the cost in my case. And I can deal with that and that is all that matters. What some old fat bastard or some skinny frail kid thinks of me doesn't fucking matter.

Like Beelz said I love the nervous look on peoples faces and the fascinated look on girls faces. Especially my girlfriends'. If thats what it takes to make me happy in life so be it. It could be much much worse.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Natural = not enhanced.
i have heard that and then i have met "natural" guys who use otc anabolics, they are taking the high road, all I am pointing out is that it becomes a fine line between natural , and enhanced, but all in all i know people want an edge to win and aas is that extra umph besides diet that can get you there...

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i have heard that and then i have met "natural" guys who use otc anabolics, they are taking the high road, all I am pointing out is that it becomes a fine line between natural , and enhanced, but all in all i know people want an edge to win and aas is that extra umph besides diet that can get you there...
Yeah,. I agree with that. Natural is usually defined by the federations you are competing in as to what you can and cannot take and various clearance times to certain products (ephedrine for example).

max-rot98

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do you have any idea how many guys compete fucking "natural" using growth and insulin. **** I know guys still claiming to be natural using superdrol. They don't know **** about it but because it can't be tested for it "isn't steroids".

Good points apowerz

WATERLOGGED

WATERLOGGED

supreme being
Awards
  • Established
i have a few reasons for useing AAS, i like the feeling i get dureing cycles , my wife likes me too for my limbido and better mood ,i have a lot of injuries from a while ago that now started atrophy of my muscles and AAS is bringing them back as well as tendons because of the collagen sythesis and my joints all feel normal for a while anyway ! also i do like being stronger and bigger ,its a great feeling ! my doc would never agree so i'm bypassing and have for[ 5 years ] them and goin by myself.these things are only given out by docs by prescription and if they feel you dont need it your pretty much screwed and who makes them think they know what i need and what i dont !

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
People take steroids to improve the physical shape they're in. There's a lot more to it than simply wanting to look good (for those who do it for appearance purposes).

For example, take two candidates for a job opening - both candidates are equal in all areas of expertise - but one is fat and out of shape - and the other is in excellent shape, and muscular.

Why would you choose the one who looks like he's got less discipline?

Why would you choose the one who's less socially acceptable?

Unfortunately, that's a shallow way of looking at things, but life is shallow.. I've been hired for jobs SOLELY on the fact that the female boss was attracted to me. And I've been promoted for the same reason / the car I drove at the time. That's life... We live in a shallow world...

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
I do not have a problem with AAS in the least. I get the impression some of you think I do. lol

What I have a problem is when people try to rationalize and justify what they do and why they do it. Just call a spade a spade. For those that compete or are looking to compete (this is for powerlifting or any type of athletics) then the main purpose of AAS is not for vanity reasons in my opinion. There is justification to using (to win).

For those that do not compete in anything, you can challenge and improve yourself without being enhanced. You just choose not to because a) its harder; b) takes longer; and c) want to look as good as you can as quick as you can for as long as you can (vanity).

Its all good guys. Just stop trying to rationalize and justify the reasons for why we do what we do.
On the same token Houseman, you could choose to compete "naturally" and toss out the reasons to use AAS to level the playing field.

It's all the same. The rationilization between vanity and performance enhancing is a justification in it's self in my opinion.

Why will I use? Because I want to... or the reasons Letro posted above.. same with Ageless. If I can look and feel that good at 60, that makes me look foward to growing "young".