oleic acid=ethyl oleate
- 01-22-2006, 01:37 AM
- 01-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by s.normanGive a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
- 01-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Klaus
Olive Oil is a complex compound made of fatty acids, vitamins, volatile components, water soluble components and microscopic bits of olive. Primary fatty acids are Oleic and linoleic acid with a small amount of linolenic acid.
- A fatty acid has the general formula: CH3(CH2)nCOOH where n is typically an even number between 12 and 22
- If no double bonds are present the molecule is called a saturated fatty acid.
- If a chain contains double bonds, it is called an unsaturated fatty acid.
- A single double bond makes a monounsaturated fatty acid
- Oils with more that one double bond are called polyunsaturated fatty acids.
- Oleic acid is monounsaturated and makes up 55-85% of olive oil
(C17H35COOH) or CH3-(CH2)7-CH=CH-(CH2)7-COOH also known as oleate.
The IUPAC name would be cis-9-octadecenoate
- Linoleic is polyunsaturated and makes up about 9%
(C17H29COOH) or CH3-(CH2)4-CH=CH-CH2-CH=CH-(CH2)7-COOH
- Linolenic, which is polyunsaturated, makes up 0-1.5%
Last edited by jonny21; 01-24-2006 at 08:20 PM.Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
Similar Forum Threads
- By madds87 in forum General ChatReplies: 35Last Post: 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM
- By MAxximal in forum SupplementsReplies: 6Last Post: 05-16-2010, 02:50 PM
- By Colin in forum Supplement AuctionReplies: 0Last Post: 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM
- By propho in forum AnabolicsReplies: 3Last Post: 07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
- By jediclampet in forum AnabolicsReplies: 6Last Post: 08-25-2003, 01:28 AM