Gettin in Shape for Marine Corps OCS

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Hi, I', a prior enlisted Marine who is DETERMINED to get into the Marine JAG Corps (I'm currently a 2L in law school). Anyway, b/c its so competitive to get in to the Marine JAG some of the requirements I have to meet in order to go to OCS by next summer are: to drop from 238 (at about 14%) to no more than 214; Drop my 3 mile runtime from about 26 minutes to 20 while at the same time retaining my ability to do 20 dead hang pull-ups and 100 crunches in 2 minutes. I have what I think is a decent training program in place but I was wondering if it would be to my benefit to implement some of the SD or ErgoMax I have lying around. My initial thought is no to the SD b/c of the painful shin pumps which will greatly screw up my running. However, I have never used Ergomax and was wondering if it could be of some use in retaining strength while getting absolutely shredded in order to meet the height/weight requirement of 214 at a height of 6'2. I need to accomplish all this in as short a time frame as possible so I welcome any and all input. Thanks.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
OK, let me sum up my question like this: Will Ergomax (combined with a superstrict low calorie diet-1000 cals below maintainance) allow me to drop huge amounts of bodyfat in a reletively short period of time, while losing scale weight but not affected my ability to run (i.e. SD painful shin pumps) or strength in a negative manner? Or should I just try to go the natural route?

S

SecretOfSteel

Awards
I did the Marine JAG program delayed entry - after they refused to negotiate salary I bailed (they wanted to pay me $39,000/year - starting junior attorney in my city makes $82,000/year, so I told them to go **** themselves).

That said - here's what I did to get in shape.
First off, all you need are three things - pullups, situps, and 3 mile run. I got 100% situps my first try and every other time, so I never really needed to work on that - if you do, perhaps . . . do more situps.

For the pullups, I would do 4 sets to burnout on some days, and other days I would do 1 rep, rest ten seconds, 2 reps, rest 20 seconds, 3 reps, rest 30 seconds etc until I was burned out - I managed 18 on my final fitness test.

3 mile run was a combination of some days just getting on the treadmill and running for 3 miles, some days running more than three miles at a slower pace, and some days doing interval/fartlek/HIIT stuff - I pulled a 20 min 3 mile as my best . . . .

However, they don't really care about the fitness scores - you just need a 225 to pass, I think, which is like, 10 pullsup, 80 situps in 2 minutes, and a 20 minute run - they care more about your grades. If your grades aren't in the top 10-25% of the class you're going to have a very, very, very hard time getting in unless you score a perfect 300 on the fitness test.

I did this all natural as well - they test you for steroids when you go to MEPS. Reading your profile you mainly need to work on the run, so . . my advice - eat high carb, keep doing your situps/pullups, and run ALL THE TIME

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I did the Marine JAG program delayed entry - after they refused to negotiate salary I bailed (they wanted to pay me $39,000/year - starting junior attorney in my city makes $82,000/year, so I told them to go **** themselves).

That said - here's what I did to get in shape.
First off, all you need are three things - pullups, situps, and 3 mile run. I got 100% situps my first try and every other time, so I never really needed to work on that - if you do, perhaps . . . do more situps.

For the pullups, I would do 4 sets to burnout on some days, and other days I would do 1 rep, rest ten seconds, 2 reps, rest 20 seconds, 3 reps, rest 30 seconds etc until I was burned out - I managed 18 on my final fitness test.

3 mile run was a combination of some days just getting on the treadmill and running for 3 miles, some days running more than three miles at a slower pace, and some days doing interval/fartlek/HIIT stuff - I pulled a 20 min 3 mile as my best . . . .

However, they don't really care about the fitness scores - you just need a 225 to pass, I think, which is like, 10 pullsup, 80 situps in 2 minutes, and a 20 minute run - they care more about your grades. If your grades aren't in the top 10-25% of the class you're going to have a very, very, very hard time getting in unless you score a perfect 300 on the fitness test.

I did this all natural as well - they test you for steroids when you go to MEPS. Reading your profile you mainly need to work on the run, so . . my advice - eat high carb, keep doing your situps/pullups, and run ALL THE TIME
Thanks for the response. I need to get at least a 280 according to the recruiter b/c there is another guy who I'm neck and neck with for one slot. I can do it, but in order to OCS this summer I have to do it ASAP as well as drop 25 lbs...I have no idea what the starting salary is for attorneys in Orlando and I dont care...I love the Marine Corps and I believe its the best place for me to get experience litigating in the shortest amount of time possible. I probably will just do it natural...but if the ergomax will help me get down to 6% bf while preserving muscle mass...then I'll do'er.

M

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
How come they require you to get down to 6%, that seems a bit excessive.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
How come they require you to get down to 6%, that seems a bit excessive.
They don't, that was just my own target goal (actually probably closer to 7%) b/c according to Marine Corps hieght/weight standards, I have to weigh no more than 214 at a height of 6'2 (ideally 205) and I currently about 238 at 14% bf. I figured best way for me to get my weight this low while retaining the strenght to do 20+ pullups/100 crunches would be to strip off as much bodyfat as possible hence my question about using ergomax to retain lean mass while stripping of the extra baggage. I really have to get in the best shape of my life to do this...luckily for me the Marines put ALOT of empahsis on physical fitness so even though I might not be in the top 5% at my law school I can still get in with a stellar PFT score + great letters of recomendation (which I have).

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
This is the first time I've ever heard of MEPS testing for steroids... I've been told by many that they dont

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
This is the first time I've ever heard of MEPS testing for steroids... I've been told by many that they dont
I'm pretty sure they don't...way too expensive.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They don't, that was just my own target goal (actually probably closer to 7%) b/c according to Marine Corps hieght/weight standards, I have to weigh no more than 214 at a height of 6'2 (ideally 205) and I currently about 238 at 14% bf. I figured best way for me to get my weight this low while retaining the strenght to do 20+ pullups/100 crunches would be to strip off as much bodyfat as possible hence my question about using ergomax to retain lean mass while stripping of the extra baggage. I really have to get in the best shape of my life to do this...luckily for me the Marines put ALOT of empahsis on physical fitness so even though I might not be in the top 5% at my law school I can still get in with a stellar PFT score + great letters of recomendation (which I have).
i wouldn't use either personally. I would speak with your recruiter about measurement instead of weight. I had this problem as enlisted, I was well over the "ideal" weight of the Marine Corps, but I was well within standards as far as measurement.

The best advice I have for you would to hire Bobo, tell him the situation, and see what he can do for you. Right now I think diet would do you really well, and a well planned training routine.

S

SecretOfSteel

Awards
Well they told me MEPS tested for roids, so, you guys probably know a lot more about it than I do, I just went with my brain and decided, ya know, I'm gonna do this on my own.

As far as those OTC legal supplements, I've never been a big fan of them, and I've heard they can have some side effects. I don't know if they increase your red blood cell volume or not, but most steroids will increase it by 10-20% - the endurance benefit is noticeable but on some you get back pumps/joint pain so you can't really take advantage of it.
I'm told EQ is a favorite of runners because it gives a huge boost to RBC. Personally, I would consider turanabol - no side effects, not really androgenic (about 6/100) and fairly anabolic (60/100) - these are just the figures I've read/seen, not sure if they're correct. But, having used turanabol, I got no sides and had tons and tons of endurance, and my recovery was crazy good.

You might also want to consider something like igf-1 - it helps you recover a lot quicker and definately made me feel better all over, plus its not illegal, and its pretty impossible to test for (haven't heard of it being tested for at all). Unlike GH, it works in younger guys. Innovative research is having a christmas sale right now too . . . I just picked up a month's worth.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
i wouldn't use either personally. I would speak with your recruiter about measurement instead of weight. I had this problem as enlisted, I was well over the "ideal" weight of the Marine Corps, but I was well within standards as far as measurement.

The best advice I have for you would to hire Bobo, tell him the situation, and see what he can do for you. Right now I think diet would do you really well, and a well planned training routine.
Thanks for the input. I actually emailed Bobo before posting here...still waiting to hear back from him. I think weighing about 210 with 7-8% bf is a reasonable goal for me and will keep me within the weight standards...I don't want to weight too much b/c of the wear and tear on my joints.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Well they told me MEPS tested for roids, so, you guys probably know a lot more about it than I do, I just went with my brain and decided, ya know, I'm gonna do this on my own.

As far as those OTC legal supplements, I've never been a big fan of them, and I've heard they can have some side effects. I don't know if they increase your red blood cell volume or not, but most steroids will increase it by 10-20% - the endurance benefit is noticeable but on some you get back pumps/joint pain so you can't really take advantage of it.
I'm told EQ is a favorite of runners because it gives a huge boost to RBC. Personally, I would consider turanabol - no side effects, not really androgenic (about 6/100) and fairly anabolic (60/100) - these are just the figures I've read/seen, not sure if they're correct. But, having used turanabol, I got no sides and had tons and tons of endurance, and my recovery was crazy good.

You might also want to consider something like igf-1 - it helps you recover a lot quicker and definately made me feel better all over, plus its not illegal, and its pretty impossible to test for (haven't heard of it being tested for at all). Unlike GH, it works in younger guys. Innovative research is having a christmas sale right now too . . . I just picked up a month's worth.
I know next tro nothing about igf-1 but I will definitely do some research...if anyone can think of some good links (for research) I would definitely appreciate it.