doxycycline/mino...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I am going back to my dermatologist tomorrow so I can get some antibiotics for this damn acne. I've been dealing with this crap for 5 months now (since last cycle) and it just won't go away. I was using some tetracycline for a week or so, but since I gotta take that stuff so often (4x/day) and on an empty stomach, it makes it very hard for me to not miss a dose due to the BB'er diet we all our used to....screws the hell outa my schedule and I end up forgetting to wait and miss my dose.

So I was going to just get some more Minocycline which I've had good results with before, but I still gotta take 2 doses/day on empty stomach (although its' better than 4 with the tetra).

Although, was thinking about doxycycline instead...do you gotta take that on an empty stomach, or can you take it with food and it still work? Any help is great, thx.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
Mino, 4 times a day? That sounds like that would be annoying. What's the dose on that? From my experience the cyclines tend to lose their effectiveness after a couple months. If your looking for something to clear you up quick I'd ask your doc about maybe getting some Bactrim. You'd only take one pill a day, as it is much more powerful. I took bactrim and was 90% clear after 10 days. Some people have some bad allergic reactions to it though, so that would be something to look out for.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
Have you tried any topicals like Differin gel? This works for me, of course, I was on accutane and don't really get pimples any more. Hell, I even get compliments on my complexion now. If only they had seen me a few years ago... can you say pizza-face?

Man, it feels good to finally post in here without have to worry about one of the mods whipping out that banning stick...:lol:

DobermanXXL

Awards
accutane!

but anyway, doxycyline can be taken with food. It wouldn't hurt to take it during the first few bites though.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Mino, 4 times a day? That sounds like that would be annoying. What's the dose on that? From my experience the cyclines tend to lose their effectiveness after a couple months. If your looking for something to clear you up quick I'd ask your doc about maybe getting some Bactrim. You'd only take one pill a day, as it is much more powerful. I took bactrim and was 90% clear after 10 days. Some people have some bad allergic reactions to it though, so that would be something to look out for.
No, minox is only taken twice/day...100mg 2x/day. The Tetra is what is taken 4x/day...usually 1-2grams split up.

I've heard good things about bactrim, but have also heard that it can cause some bad sides. What kind of reactions are there from it?

DSL, yeah I tried those topicals...differin, tazorac, etc. and all thet seemed to do was dry my face up like crazy...it just made things worse and I got more scarring from them back in my teen years.

Dobe, I've been pondering accutane for years now, but the sides just freak me out...thx for the info on doxy, I think I'll just ask for some of that.

THX FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS. :)

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried any topicals like Differin gel? This works for me, of course, I was on accutane and don't really get pimples any more. Hell, I even get compliments on my complexion now. If only they had seen me a few years ago... can you say pizza-face?

Man, it feels good to finally post in here without have to worry about one of the mods whipping out that banning stick...:lol:
Were still watching:stick:

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I just got back and she gave me both mino and doxy....she said if it doesn't work out I can have her write me one for bactrim...I'm gonna start with the doxy and see how I fare.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
I hope that doxy and mino works out for you. If you get bactrim, I wouldn't worry too much about the sides. The main concern would be if your allergic to it. You'd get a rash and swelling of the lips (pretty nasty). However if you are allergic to it you find out right away, and can stop taking it immediately. For me it cleared me up pretty good, and imo is alot safer than taking accutane.

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
When I was on accutane, I had zero sides. The dermatologist had bloodwork done every month and said everthing was fine. Plus, I never felt depressed.

The only problem that you would have in getting it is that the doctor would probably only want to use it as a last resort, so it might take some begging and pleading on your part.

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
man i take tetracycline also...or i have it sitting on my counter. you cant take it with food, vitamins, or dairy. wtf?! when do i not have one of those in my stomach? ugh!

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
man i take tetracycline also...or i have it sitting on my counter. you cant take it with food, vitamins, or dairy. wtf?! when do i not have one of those in my stomach? ugh!
I generally take doxycycline w/ my pre wo meal so I don't have to take it with any vitamins, just the bread and whey. I tried the stuff once w/o food and I almost puked...I will NEVER do that again.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I hope that doxy and mino works out for you. If you get bactrim, I wouldn't worry too much about the sides. The main concern would be if your allergic to it. You'd get a rash and swelling of the lips (pretty nasty). However if you are allergic to it you find out right away, and can stop taking it immediately. For me it cleared me up pretty good, and imo is alot safer than taking accutane.

thx bud, I do too. We'll see how it goes.

DSL, yeah actually my derm has been wanting me to go on accutane for a couple years now...lol. But I keep saying no.

I asked my derm about eating on doxy and she said it's no problem just not w/ dairy..lol. I rolled my eyes...I'm the same as you uber, I always have dairy in every meal...oh well, two times/day is a hell of a lot better than 4x/day with the tetra..I will survive. :D