Megestrol????

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My brother is recovering from cancer, his doctor told him that he needed to gain some weight and that his muscles have deteriorated. His I dont know how to post a link to where I looked it up, it says it is progesterone, and it is mainly used for women recovering from breast cancer. Does anyone know how progesterone works and how it would help him put on muscle?

Dungeon1

Dungeon1

Awards
Look into Methyl-1-P and Max Lmg. Also a few more popular AAS are progesterone derivatives: Winstrol and Tren to name a couple.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
My brother is recovering from cancer, his doctor told him that he needed to gain some weight and that his muscles have deteriorated. His I dont know how to post a link to where I looked it up, it says it is progesterone, and it is mainly used for women recovering from breast cancer. Does anyone know how progesterone works and how it would help him put on muscle?
megestrol, it works as more of an appetite stimulant, not for LBM. Studies find tendency for fat gain opposed to LBM gains.
http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-04-01-08#S5.1.1Xhttp://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-04-01-08

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would advise your brother against it and ask if the Doctor would instead prescribe oxandrolone. Of course most doctors in the US will not but if he wants your brother to gain healthy weight without screwing up his fluid balance and gaining mostly fat he will not put him on the Megestrol. Of course this recommendation may not be accurate if your brother had testicular cancer or other androgen dependant cancers.

size

Awards
  • Established
You brother should follow the advice of his doctor and consult with him abotu options. I would encourage him that he should ask his doctor about having Oxandrin prescribed to him.

aequitas

aequitas

Awards
Megestrol is a horrible drug for weight gain indeed, especially in males. It is an anti-androgen and significantly lowers LH and test.

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats what I told him when I heard it was a progesterone, this drug was ment for women with breast cancer, and the fact that it will produce estrogen like results with the extra water and fat gain is not to appealing. Why would they just prescribe him steroids instead for gain mass. He had some rare form of cancer, I can't spell it correctly but it is Hodgskins lymphoma. By the way he is only 20 years old.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Thats what I told him when I heard it was a progesterone, this drug was ment for women with breast cancer, and the fact that it will produce estrogen like results with the extra water and fat gain is not to appealing. Why would they just prescribe him steroids instead for gain mass. He had some rare form of cancer, I can't spell it correctly but it is Hodgskins lymphoma. By the way he is only 20 years old.
Not too rare is Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Good success rate on the treatments. These numbers are from a couple of years ago when I did a presentation on it. Probably have improved survival rates even more.
Survival at five years:
88% <45yo at dx
77% 45-54
67% 65-74
38% 75 and older

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good to know, I just going by what my brother said, he said it was rare and that it has chances of coming back down the road. Thanks to all for the reply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 3