How Would it be Possible for Someone to Die Shortly after Self-Administering AAS?

ShadowOne

Awards
In the ESPN special about steroids (the one with Bill Lewellyn), it talked about a Latin American baseball player who died shortly after injecting a "veterinary" steroid. Obviously it didn't discuss the cause of death, likely due to a social/political agenda in demonizing AAS. But I was wondering about what possible scenarios would cause acute death associated with self-administering AAS.

I figured the "veterinary" steroid would likely have been EQ or a homebrew Fina.

So possibly:

(1) Contamination with bacteria which may cause septic shock.

(2) Contamination with some other compound that causes a fatal allergic reaction.

(3) Overdose

I think (1) and (2) are the most likely and don't directly involve the affects of AAS itself, but what's the chances of (3)?

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what the chances are, but what if he injected into a vein?

BP

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can't drink the water in mexico...

How do you feel about injecting a drug made there for animals?.... Who knows what might accidently get in the amp.. could of been straight javex or something?

Anyway, more details are needed.. could be completely unrelated.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
septic shock would take few days to setup depending on the bacteria that got into the wound it might a little longer..
Overdosing on test won't not be likely to cause that type of problem IMO

Air Embolism would be the most likely cause if it were directly after injection.. but that would be due to improper injection techniques..

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
You can't drink the water in mexico...

How do you feel about injecting a drug made there for animals?.... Who knows what might accidently get in the amp.. could of been straight javex or something?

Anyway, more details are needed.. could be completely unrelated.
lol you probably know that vet steriods are not made for animals but just incase others didn't I thougth I would say it.

CROWLER

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
septic shock would take few days to setup depending on the bacteria that got into the wound it might a little longer..
Overdosing on test won't not be likely to cause that type of problem IMO

Air Embolism would be the most likely cause if it were directly after injection.. but that would be due to improper injection techniques..
Air Embolism seems unlikely, too, because you'd need BIG ASS AIR BUBBLE.

And, you need like 10cc of oil to shut your heart down, right? I've never heard of anyone taking a single shot much bigger than 4-5cc's <-- and those are just a few freaks who do that ****.

I'm sure there is more to the story...

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How about accidentally puncturing the femoral artery? Unlikely, but you never know.

Last edited:

Guido

Awards
actually, only 1% or so of oil emboli are fatal. The biggest risk is gram negative sepsis, which can kill you in a matter of hours. But hoenstly, to develop this, you'd have to stick your pin in a pile of **** and inject it. Injections are safe in their nature if you use sterile (or at least aseptic) technique and know your own anatomy. Some people may have nerves and vessels that run a course a little different than you might see in a textbook. Just be careful and be SMART. If anything happens, go to the hospital, dont **** around. Tell them you were doing IM injections. It can save your life.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
k....that explaination sounds reasonable, thx guido!

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Volume will certainly make a difference.

However, a pulmonary oil embolism can cause death.
I believe it...but how the hell is someone going to get the pin in one of the pulmonary arteries? lol

brogers

Awards
  • Established
no, the oil travels to your lungs (The term pulmonary refers to lungs not neccesarily the pulmonary vein/artery) and forms an embolism inside of your lungs. This is why you cough for like 15 minutes if you hit a vein.

I think this is what he is talking about.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
no, the oil travels to your lungs (The term pulmonary refers to lungs not neccesarily the pulmonary vein/artery) and forms an embolism inside of your lungs. This is why you cough for like 15 minutes if you hit a vein.

I think this is what he is talking about.
Oh yeah, I'm aware of that definition :) I should have thought of that...

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It takes approximately 10cc's of oil straight into a vein to kill you.
It takes approximately 2cc's of air straight into a vein to kill you.

It's is EXTREMELY unlikely you'll do either of these things. However, you may die from an injection, just much later. If you get a bad infection and don't treat it at all, that's how you can die.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
certainly we would have heard if someone had died from self-administration.
we would have heard, over and over and over and over.
the media wouldn't let it go.

it would be a great day for pencilnecks
Headline: Person dies instantly from steroids.

size

Awards
  • Established
It takes approximately 10cc's of oil straight into a vein to kill you.
It takes approximately 2cc's of air straight into a vein to kill you.
WHere did you find these values? I think they are wrong, particularly the air one as I believe it is an even higher number. I will check and get back with more info.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
you can't overdose on steroids...
orals you probably could more quickly due to toxicity issues. but pinning is probably unlikily.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
orals you probably could more quickly due to toxicity issues. but pinning is probably unlikily.
Don't even think that's possible. You'd piss most of it out before it would have the chance to do any major damage to the liver.

This was discussed somewhere on the board before, I believe :think:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
maybe I saw that, didn't a kid take a gram of M1T (trying to commit suicide) but was unsuccessful? What a way to go if he had his way.

curlman25

Awards
Yea i thought nobody has died from steriods. If so im sure the media would be all over that like a fat kid and cake

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
He probably had a motor vehicle accident afterwards where the steroid was somehow thought to be the cause :lol:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seriously, there's no way the steroids were related to his death, unless he was shot by his dealer.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the guy DID die by gunshot to the head and they tried to claim it was the steroids.

STEROIDS:
Known side effects -
breast growth
suicide
gunshot to the head
condition known as hotdog fingers
brain tumor
spontaneous landmine foot

In the ESPN special about steroids (the one with Bill Lewellyn), it talked about a Latin American baseball player who died shortly after injecting a "veterinary" steroid. Obviously it didn't discuss the cause of death, likely due to a social/political agenda in demonizing AAS. But I was wondering about what possible scenarios would cause acute death associated with self-administering AAS.

I figured the "veterinary" steroid would likely have been EQ or a homebrew Fina.

So possibly:

(1) Contamination with bacteria which may cause septic shock.

(2) Contamination with some other compound that causes a fatal allergic reaction.

(3) Overdose

I think (1) and (2) are the most likely and don't directly involve the affects of AAS itself, but what's the chances of (3)?