Ladder pyramid sets

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Read that Dolph lundgren does ladder sets to stay jacked. I did those today with pyramid sets by rep 30 you feel the burn deep inside your muscles, even with lighter weights, freaking felt good.

I'm going to start using ladder sets, to warm up before putting in heavy work.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What the hell is a ladder set?

And im pretty sure dolph does steroids to stay jacked...

Reactions: Nac

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What the hell is a ladder set?

And im pretty sure dolph does steroids to stay jacked...

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How fatiguing are these? Not sure how good itd be to do these prior to "heavy work". If youre getting a burn in your muscles...its usually best to do metabolite work at the end of a session.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A ladder set is 30 reps, then 20 reps, then 15 reps, then 10 reps. Start out light weight, increase with each rep set.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pretty challenging when you start your set with 30 reps. Then after the ladder sets, I went heavy 5x8.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Ridiculous gimmick.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it’s a better use if your time to just lift heavy. The people who get big while doing 30+ reps are on a ton of gear, and they won’t keep that size when they come off.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I think it’s a better use if your time to just lift heavy. The people who get big while doing 30+ reps are on a ton of gear, and they won’t keep that size when they come off.
This.

Natty lifters will kill their gains with cortisol using this method, it wont create hypertrophy just due to the sheer amount of stress you'll be putting on your system from such high rep counts without rest.

High reps are good for breaking down fat when youre not on gear.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. The whole cortisol argument in my opinion is blown out of proportion as well. I put in a f9ck ton of volume like 3 hour sessions on my last cycle and gained 8 lbs. Still maintained all of it. Plenty of lifters in this game who lift for long periods of time daily that don't kill their gains with long lifting sessions.

Good article on Cortisol Myth which my experience has led me to believe is true. http://www.simplyshredded.com/cortisol-layne-norton.html

I'd also say most just don't put in enough time lifting to see the results they desire. I frequently lift for 2 hour sessions and have maintained 90% of my gains from last Sarms cycle ran without an AAS.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m starting to think it’s better to lift more frequently by splitting up each body part into two or three sessions a week. So if you do 20 sets on leg day once a week, it’d likely be smarter for you to split it up into two sessions of 10 sets each week. I think the volume should be spread out like this because you’re muscles don’t grow for seven straight days. So there’s no need to rest them that long. They grow for one to three days after a workout. Big muscles could be worked out twice a week and small muscles three times. So in my opinion, there’s absolutely no need to annihilate you’re muscles for three straight hours.

I saw a video explaining this theory recently. I’ll post it when I find it.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wished Id come across Mike Israetel years ago.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Personally, my sessions are 30-50 minutes long, and I’ve been growing a lot off of that. That’s all you need to stimulate growth. I’ve gained 11 pounds naturally in the last two months, with the majority of it being muscle. Working out for three hours is just burning calories at a certain point. But maybe it is the most efficient method for you. It just seems like a lot of time and energy burned, and almost nobody benefits from that long of workouts.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m still new to juggernaut training systems videos but they’re basically all PhD’s and very scientific in their approach to building strength and muscle.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've forgotten what Mike Israetel's association with Juggernaut is but JTS is strength oriented and similar to 531/Cube while those interested in Israetel's hypertrophy stuff will want to look into Renaissance Periodization. I wouldn't recommend paying for any of it though, it's pretty overpriced for what are basically just cookie cutter programs. They're not bad programs, they're just expensive for what they are. The YouTube videos are free though and worth a watch.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't call it a gimmick. The whole cortisol argument in my opinion is blown out of proportion as well. I put in a f9ck ton of volume like 3 hour sessions on my last cycle and gained 8 lbs. Still maintained all of it. Plenty of lifters in this game who lift for long periods of time daily that don't kill their gains with long lifting sessions.

Good article on Cortisol Myth which my experience has led me to believe is true. http://www.simplyshredded.com/cortisol-layne-norton.html

I'd also say most just don't put in enough time lifting to see the results they desire. I frequently lift for 2 hour sessions and have maintained 90% of my gains from last Sarms cycle ran without an AAS.
You were taking drugs, natural lifters can't lift for 3 hours a session and keep their gains.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m still new to juggernaut training systems videos but they’re basically all PhD’s and very scientific in their approach to building strength and muscle.
I've forgotten what Mike Israetel's association with Juggernaut is but JTS is strength oriented and similar to 531/Cube while those interested in Israetel's hypertrophy stuff will want to look into Renaissance Periodization. I wouldn't recommend paying for any of it though, it's pretty overpriced for what are basically just cookie cutter programs. They're not bad programs, they're just expensive for what they are. The YouTube videos are free though and worth a watch.
Yeah Ive pretty much pieced together his basic principles watching youtoob interviews.

He has done some absolute gems with Eric Helms and Greg Nuckols.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally use laddered pyramid sets on all heavy lifts. I use the build up to prepare my nervous system for the coming progressively heavier sets. I dont do stupid things to burn out my energy though, like doing 30 reps first??!! ... instead do sets of 8-10 leading up to the big lift, then strip down the weight for a few sets to etch in the deep burn, and finish with a final light high rep set. so it might be like this for benching: 95x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x8, 275x8x2-3 strip to 225x8-10, 185x10, 135x20 then move on to next exercise.
This would be more of a b-pak style lifting or MI40 style. the weight doesn't matter but the contraction does!

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm about to hit the gym now and will take your advice to heart RIPPER. I agree though, doing warm up sets really prepares my muscles for the upcoming heavy sets. What I did enjoy about doing light weight high reps before the low reps, was that the higher reps really helped my muscles reach a higher contraction point, I could feel the fibers working to lift the weight after the 20th rep, it actually felt amazing.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel it's fine to do before heavy lifting. It helps warm up the muscle fibers for a greater load capacity. By the way. I'm not a conventional lifter, I have crazy endurance. Probably my genetics. So I don't tire out easily.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just found out mike israetel lives in the same city as me. The gym he goes to isn’t far from mine. I’m gonna have to go there and ask him if he wants to pay me to be his trainer haha.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A ladder set is 30 reps, then 20 reps, then 15 reps, then 10 reps. Start out light weight, increase with each rep set.
So regular old progressive overload then? I do this before I do my dropset.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I do 20 to failure, 15 to failure, 12 to failure, 10 to failure, then 6, 4, 3, then I do a dropset from there in one burst, resting only as long as it takes to whip off a plate every time I hit failure.