Steroids and kidneys

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
So I have been taking steroids for about 14 months. The plan was to cycle but the results were incredible and I guess you could say I became addicted to the strength and attention and lifestyle. I know I was a idiot for staying on for over a year. I did not have all the facts. I always thought it took a lifetime of taking steroids or mega dosing to have real negative impact. I finally got my blood work done and my blood pressure was good my cholesterol good. I thought I was gonna be golden until my doctor told me my kidneys are barely functioning and my liver enzymes are high and it’s inflamed. I also had a ultrasound done I’ll know more about that tomorrow. Anyways I was just hoping to make anyone I can aware to stay on top of your blood work and don’t be a idiot like me and cycle off and give your body a chance to heal. When I think about possibly loosing my life I don’t think man I won’t be able to go to the gym anymore. I think about leaving my wife and kids behind.

Anyone else have a issue like this?

Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dang man, that is terrible. I hope they figure it out and get you back up and running. I'll pray for you. Keep us updated.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I have been taking steroids for about 14 months. The plan was to cycle but the results were incredible and I guess you could say I became addicted to the strength and attention and lifestyle. I know I was a idiot for staying on for over a year. I did not have all the facts. I always thought it took a lifetime of taking steroids or mega dosing to have real negative impact. I finally got my blood work done and my blood pressure was good my cholesterol good. I thought I was gonna be golden until my doctor told me my kidneys are barely functioning and my liver enzymes are high and it’s inflamed. I also had a ultrasound done I’ll know more about that tomorrow. Anyways I was just hoping to make anyone I can aware to stay on top of your blood work and don’t be a idiot like me and cycle off and give your body a chance to heal. When I think about possibly loosing my life I don’t think man I won’t be able to go to the gym anymore. I think about leaving my wife and kids behind.

Anyone else have a issue like this?
Thanks for sharing your experience on the forum so perhaps some can learn from your mistakes. Good luck with the ultrasound.

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Post your blood work or ast alt , bun, creatinine, egfr

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
AST is 82 supposed to be 0-50
Alt is 117 supposed to be 0-50
Gfr is 59
Creatinine is 1.53
UN is 26
Protein UA (in urin) is 30

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh dear Lord Sweet Baby Jesus.

You’re fine....

However, if your Doctor is the one that told you, your kidneys are barely functioning and you didn’t come to that conclusion yourself, you will need a new Doctor.

If you don’t believe me, do a little googling on what the labs look like for someone that’s actually in the very first stages of renal disease.

Most all of us have slightly high BUN and Creatinine too. Our kidneys are fine. As for your GFR that’s 1 point out of range for Normal, drink a glass of water and re-take the test.

Brenwad

Awards
Total scare mongering from your Doctor. If your body was failing you'd have realised.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kidneys are barely functioning and my liver enzymes are high and it’s inflamed
Labs results looks like mine, after a night out.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In for the info about the compounds you used

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the info about the compounds you used
Me too. Some strong orals may be involved, looking at AST/ALT.

Here something interesting:

Discussion
Four bodybuilders developed acute renal insufficiency while using commercial nutritional supplements consisting of protein and creatine combined with anabolic steroid injections. Biopsies demonstrated acute tubular injury, and when the injections and supplement use were stopped, serum creatinine levels became normal within 4 weeks.

The findings raised the possibility of the hypervitaminosis D-induced nephrocalcinosis recently encountered in four Brazilian bodybuilders [18–20]. These subjects developed hypercalcemia and renal failure with nephrocalcinosis while injecting veterinary grade vitamin D with estimated doses of >10 million IU annually. Of note was that the injections were not for vitamin D but for the silicone-like effect of the oily carrying medium that was used to add bulk to specific muscle groups. Our findings differ from those of the Brazilians in that none of our patients were hypercalcemic or took large doses of vitamin D, and none of our biopsies could be considered to show nephrocalcinosis.

Closely related to hypervitaminosis D is the milk- or calcium-alkali syndrome [21–23]. This is caused by an excessive consumption of milk or anti-acid calcium carbonate compounds. Currently, the calcium-alkali syndrome is primarily seen in post-menopausal women taking supplemental calcium and vitamin D for osteoporosis. The occurrence in bodybuilders is not specifically reported apart from hypervitaminosis D, and among our patients, milk and other calcium consumption could not be considered greatly excessive.

Acute phosphate nephropathy with intratubular calcium phosphate deposition that somewhat resembles the pathology of our patients is caused by oral sodium phosphates used for bowel preparation before colonoscopy [24]. Protein powder contains little inorganic phosphate with three daily supplement servings providing <0.5 g [25]. Creatine is sold mainly in the form of a monohydrate also with little phosphorus. Daily 2–3 L milk consumption will add 1.6–2.4 g to a normal dietary phosphorus intake of 1.0–1.5 g [25]. This is well below the 11 g oral intake used in bowel preparations [24]. In addition, the negative von Kossa stains indicates that the mainly amorphous tubular concretions found in the kidneys of our patients were acutely precipitated and had not complexed into crystalline hydroxyapatite with prominently stained phosphates that are seen in hyperphosphatemic nephropathy as well as other forms of neprocalcinosis [26].

For most athletes, sports nutritionists recommend a daily protein intake of 1.4–1.7 g/kg/day, less than half of what was used by our patients [2, 27]. There is substantial experimental and clinical data supporting the safety of creatine supplementation when it is used in the recommended amounts, but there is concern that excess dietary protein and creatine that is not accompanied by increased fluid intake may lead to a relative hypovolemia [6–9]. The clinical presentation of our three of our patients was in the summer. Iraqi summers are very hot, and by Western standards, the regional gymnasiums are warm and trainee hydration less than optimal.

In previously reported cases of acute kidney injury in creatine users, one demonstrated acute tubular necrosis, but two were classified as acute interstitial nephritis suggesting idiosyncratic allergic reactions [10–12]. Our patients' biopsies showed acute tubular necrosis that could be nephrotoxic or ischemic [28, 29]. In either case, this type of kidney injury among otherwise healthy young men is a rare event and points to a causal relationship with supplement and steroid use. Two of our patients had significant chronicity in their renal biopsies. This raises the possibility of preexisting chronic kidney disease that may or not be related to supplement use, but more likely reflects the risk that acute kidney injury of any type carries for chronic kidney disease [28, 29].

We must emphasize that a specific offending agent cannot be identified in this case material, and it may be the combination of excess creatine and protein with steroid injections that compounds risk not incurred with the individual substances. Our working hypothesis is that under hydration rather than direct toxicity precipitated the kidney injury.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4515889/

adammorrow36

adammorrow36

Awards
  • Established
What have youbeen running for that long ? Orals ?

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you gonna hop off now? I’m wondering if your body will start producing its own test again and how long it’ll take. Or maybe your on trt already? Sorry, to hear your blood work is f*cked up but I think a lot of these guys are right; your doctor probably wants to rattle you a bit. Stay away from orals for a while.

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Like others have said your numbers arent so bad but are not what you want year round. You need to come off whatever your taking and give your body a break. Continue with a lose dose TEST if you must. My kidney numbers look like yours and Im not on gear. Get some TUDCA for liver and a product called Kidney Stuff. Then lower your protein intake for 2 days and do not work out for 2 days then go get retested. I bet your numbers come back fine. My kidney numbers are similar and I dont take gear. But if i take the Kidney Stuff product and follow that regiment they always come back in line.

If you had high blood pressure i would be concerned as this can tax the kidneys big time. But you said no high blood pressure.

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
Well it started out as a test only cycle 500mg a week. Then I threw in 50mg of dbol a day for 4 weeks and that is the only time I took orals. The in between is a blur of trying different esters of test and taking tren e and ace at 300-400 mg week. But I’ll focus on my last two cycles. It was test 500 week nandrolone decaonate 600 week and tren 250 a week for 14 weeks. Then with no break switched to test 400 week boldonone(eq) 800 week and masterone 500 week for the past 8 weeks. Was gonna go another 8 but have not taken a shot in a week now.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well it started out as a test only cycle 500mg a week. Then I threw in 50mg of dbol a day for 4 weeks and that is the only time I took orals. The in between is a blur of trying different esters of test and taking tren e and ace at 300-400 mg week. But I’ll focus on my last two cycles. It was test 500 week nandrolone decaonate 600 week and tren 250 a week for 14 weeks. Then with no break switched to test 400 week boldonone(eq) 800 week and masterone 500 week for the past 8 weeks. Was gonna go another 8 but have not taken a shot in a week now.
Did you start taking a SERM? Either way, how are you feeling? Do you feel healthy?

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Got anxiety just from reading this
Don’t. I’m sure your blood work would come back a little messed up right now from the tbol and trenavar but those numbers are temporary. Just start the healing process.

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
No not yet. It’s only been a week sense my last shot. I have some clomid and some exemestane but I think I’m gonna wait till my next blood test in a week and see if my numbers are better. If they are then I might just coast on 200mg of test a week for a few months till I know I’m better. I feel mostly healthy except the painful urination which the doc says is from the kidneys

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
I do drink a ton of milk. Almost a gallon a day.

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
Ya I agree her saying barely functioning was a poor choice of words sense that tends to mean 10% efficiency or less. But I’d say around 60% at my age does not seem ideal either. I don’t want to be on dialysis before I’m 50 or anytime for that matter.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don’t. I’m sure your blood work would come back a little messed up right now from the tbol and trenavar but those numbers are temporary. Just start the healing process.
I just posted my results in my sust, Tvar and Tbol log, they are in normal range

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve worked with thousands and thousands of Dialysis patients. 99% of them have had UNCONTROLLABLE diabetes or hypertension (and I’m not talking about the crap we post around here like 165/91, I’m talking 228/115) for DECADES. The other 1% is chronic kidney disease, ibuprofen overdose, and blunt trauma. To destroy a kidney, you literally have to make billions of capillaries explode. This cannot happen simply from anabolic hormone use.

If any of us ever want to have a chance of the public understanding and accepting our AAS use, we absolutely cannot play any kind or role in perpetuating anti-ped hysteria.

Fugging hate scare-mongering Docs!

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
I’ve worked with thousands and thousands of Dialysis patients. 99% of them have had UNCONTROLLABLE diabetes or hypertension (and I’m not talking about the crap we post around here like 165/91, I’m talking 228/115) for DECADES. The other 1% is chronic kidney disease, ibuprofen overdose, and blunt trauma. To destroy a kidney, you literally have to make billions of capillaries explode. This cannot happen simply from anabolic hormone use.

If any of us ever want to have a chance of the public understanding and accepting our AAS use, we absolutely cannot play any kind or role in perpetuating anti-ped hysteria.

Fugging hate scare-mongering Docs!
Anxiety adverted, thank you brother!

Arnold_strong

Awards
Wholeheartedly agree with you

My doctor always looks at me in a funny way when I take my blood tests

She definitely doesn't approve of my lifestyle . She always grills me about my supplement use

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t even ask their input. I just politely ask for copies of my labs. If anything is bad enough for meds, I ask for a script. I’d walk out if a Doc started lecturing me about shyt he/she doesn’t even know about.

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
Ya now that I’m reading about liver enzymes my numbers are barely elevated some people have numbers in the thousands. I think she made it seem worse then it is.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya I agree her saying barely functioning was a poor choice of words sense that tends to mean 10% efficiency or less. But I’d say around 60% at my age does not seem ideal either. I don’t want to be on dialysis before I’m 50 or anytime for that matter.
I would say that this is a wise assessment. But I also think steroids are not the only factor at play here. This would be quite unusual.

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
your levels are a little elevated, it'll get back to normal once you drop the gear. It's when your platelets drop to below 50 is when you have a problem. I'm surprised your wife didn't get on your ass a lot sooner. Mine does

Stickyseeds

Stickyseeds

Awards
Oh man my wife has been on my ass every step of the way lol. She dosent like anything about me taking them. I’ve made a few compromises to try and help but she will never like it.