Vitamin D supplement - benefits

Futjun

Futjun

Awards
Hey bros.

Just wanted to ask what are the benefits you have seen while taking vitamin D supplements aesthetically? Exp. increased gains, body hair, etc. I want to incorporate it in my regime. 25 years, 5'8 155lbs.

Thank u!

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use vitamin d, but that’s cause it was too low in my last blood work. Don’t know if I actually noticed anything extra. But who knows what’s going on internally

Charlesw617

Awards
Besides it playing a part in your overall health, most people in the world are deficient in vitamin d. But in regards to building muscle among all the macro nutrients it plays the most part in testosterone production. In fact it's more like a prohormone than a vitamin and can naturally raise testosterone production.

I personally take 5000 iu's a day, how big of an effect that is, I don't know. I honestly can't see a difference, but its been studied for decades and all studies show it does play a role in testosterone production.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a great article, albeit, a little older.

Vitamin D has been used to boost athletic performance since 1927. It's especially effective for those who are deficient, which is most everyone.

Low D is related to cancer, depression, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. Getting adequate amounts can prevent diabetes, lower blood pressure, and restore insulin sensitivity.

Historically, competitive athletes getting sunlamp exposure have experienced improvements in strength, speed, and endurance.

Taking vitamin D while dieting may lead to faster fat loss, particularly in the abdominal area.

Fitness experts recommend supplementing with 1,000 to 5,000 IU per day and if you rarely get sunlight, maybe up to 5,000 IU per day.
https://www.t-nation.com/supplements/d-is-for-doping

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hopefully it helps with fat loss as I’m running/logging SNS Higenamine right now!

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I doubt anybody will notice any actual difference from something so minor. It’s still worth taking, but just don’t expect to take it and turn into a fitness model haha.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I doubt anybody will notice any actual difference from something so minor. It’s still worth taking, but just don’t expect to take it and turn into a fitness model haha.
Wtf bro! Got damn dream crusher!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The amount of Vitamin D3 you require to take is different based on your geographic location and exposure to the sun, as well the time of year. That said, I think taking 1,000-4,000IU per day is safe and recommended. I think 5,000IU is at the top end for most of us, unless prescribed for a condition that is relevant to take more by a Doctor.

Factors that might affect your vitamin D levels

Your vitamin D levels reflect many factors. For example:

Where you live. If you live in the northern states (latitudes north of 37°), you are at higher risk for a vitamin D deficiency because your skin may not be able to produce any vitamin D from sun exposure during the winter months.

Your age.
Your skin's ability to produce vitamin D drops with age. If you're over age 65, you generate only one-fourth as much vitamin D as you did in your 20s.

Your skin color.
People with darker skin typically have lower levels of vitamin D than lighter-skinned individuals. African Americans have, on average, about half as much vitamin D in their blood compared with white Americans.

Your weight.
If you have a body mass index above 30, you may have low blood levels of vitamin D. Vitamin D is stored in fat, so in people with obesity, less of the vitamin circulates in the blood, where it's available for use by the body.

The foods you eat.
Very few foods naturally contain vitamin D. The U.S. government started a vitamin D milk fortification program in the 1930s to combat rickets, a bone-weakening disease caused by vitamin D deficiency, which was a major public health problem at the time. Breakfast cereals and some types of orange juice may also be fortified, but this varies by brand. So, the amount of vitamin D you get from food depends on the food you eat and how much milk you drink.

Certain health conditions.
People with conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, liver disease, or cystic fibrosis, among others, may have trouble absorbing vitamin D, which can lead to deficiencies.

Some interesting links I had to look up, thanks to the OP's question:

Impact of Geographic Location on Vitamin D Status and Bone Mineral Density
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4772204/

Geographic location and vitamin D synthesis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18786559

Taking too much vitamin D can cloud its benefits and create health risks
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/taking-too-much-vitamin-d-can-cloud-its-benefits-and-create-health-risks

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea I was surprised that my vitamin D was low as I live in Arizona, AND I run outside shirtless daily each week.

thaifoon90

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last year was the first time I had my Vitamin D levels checked. Was at ~22ng/ml (deficient). I started supplementing at around 5000 IU per day. I got it checked again this year and it's around ~60ng/ml now. I didn't notice it when I was low, but it's definitely noticeable now that I'm in the optimum range. It's nothing huge, but I have a better sense of overall well being, better sleep, better gains at the gym, etc.

dontsweatme

dontsweatme

Awards
I supplement D3 6 months out of year at 10,000 iu daily. Don’t notice anything different either way but it’s cheap to supplement so I add it in during fall & winter. I’m outside a lot in the spring & summer months so I don’t bother taking it then. It’s not something that’s reported in the blood work panel I get so I can’t speak to my levels.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
The amount of Vitamin D3 you require to take is different based on your geographic location and exposure to the sun, as well the time of year.

[/url]
And also your complexion and ethnicity/genetics, and not trying to ruffle any liberal feathers lol, but it does make a difference.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And also your complexion and ethnicity/genetics, and not trying to ruffle any liberal feathers lol, but it does make a difference.
That's actually in the links I posted, no feathers were ruffled.

From my post:
Your skin color.
People with darker skin typically have lower levels of vitamin D than lighter-skinned individuals. African Americans have, on average, about half as much vitamin D in their blood compared with white Americans.