Deltoid injections - aspirate?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As the title asks, is aspirating the deltoid necessary? As of now, the only spots I'm using are the vg's. I have 23gx1" needles. I've seen varying opinions on aspirating different sites.

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Always a good idea. There are blood vessels everywhere. That said, even if some does get into your bloodstream you're not going to die, unless its like 500mg of tren or something, then I may be concerned. I think DatBTrue mainlined like 2cc's of oil just for the hell of it and he was fine.

ATOM ONE

ATOM ONE

Awards
I never aspirate for shoulders with a 1 1/2 inch pin

cody199477

Awards
  • Established
I’ve never aspirated and injected hundreds of times. Nurses aren’t even taught to aspirate any more but if it give you a sense of reinsurance then by all means go for it

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
aspirate? That’s outdated medical practices

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
aspirate? That’s outdated medical practices
Last time shot in my quads, got lots of blood when aspirated. So imo aspirating is a must. Why would you wanna cough and feel like chit?

cody199477

Awards
  • Established
Last time shot in my quads, got lots of blood when aspirated. So imo aspirating is a must. Why would you wanna cough and feel like chit?
Aspirating isn’t necessarily at all. You scared of a little blood coming out? Unless your injecting tren your not going to cough. Just the needle touching the vein will cause tren cough so aspirated wouldn’t even help avoid it. I’ve never aspirated and have injected hundreds of times.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Aspirating isn’t necessarily at all. You scared of a little blood coming out? Unless your injecting tren your not going to cough. Just the needle touching the vein will cause tren cough so aspirated wouldn’t even help avoid it. I’ve never aspirated and have injected hundreds of times.
Last night, app 5 hours after 1ml of Test cyp I started coughing like crazy. An itch that didn't want to subside. I have a slight hematoma at the site of injection. So... imo aspirating is a plus. Did I have any problems? No I didn't, but would still prefer not to cough for half an hour :)

Also, there is a difference in just a drop of oil entering your veins or half a ml. The reaction to more oil should be more severe than to less.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Going to try a delt pin tomorrow. If I can aspirate and hold the needle with one hand, I'll do it.

greg916

Awards
I’m no expert but if you actually hit a vein I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t even need to aspirate would you? I’d expect to see some blood go into the syringe immediately.

& yeah I heard that they don’t even teach aspirating as part of giving shots to people in medicine anymore.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m not sure what you’re talking about with coughing and feeling like shiit.
Aspirating isn’t going to effect this.
If this is happening to you it’s a mental thing. Coughing and allergies to the solvents in ug oils could cause these sides, but aspirating isn’t going to effect it.
The reason you would aspirate is so you don’t inject 1-5 cc of oil directly into your bloodstream. That’d be a waste of good gear.
But the actual chances of you injecting into a large vein after toughing out the pain of piercing it is very slim especially if you’re using 1/2-1 inch needles.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did my first couple years. I draw blood before and reinjected. Then i saw where a doctor said not necessary

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m not sure what you’re talking about with coughing and feeling like shiit.
Aspirating isn’t going to effect this.
If this is happening to you it’s a mental thing. Coughing and allergies to the solvents in ug oils could cause these sides, but aspirating isn’t going to effect it.
The reason you would aspirate is so you don’t inject 1-5 cc of oil directly into your bloodstream. That’d be a waste of good gear.
But the actual chances of you injecting into a large vein after toughing out the pain of piercing it is very slim especially if you’re using 1/2-1 inch needles.
Embolism? Where the oil gets secreted through the lungs. That's what I meant. But please correct me if I'm wrong. Tnx :)

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Embolism? Where the oil gets secreted through the lungs. That's what I meant. But please correct me if I'm wrong. Tnx :)
An embolism is the lodging of an embolus, a blockage-causing piece of material, inside a blood vessel. (Dowlands (2012). Dowland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary (32nd ed.). Elsevier p 606)

I don’t even get think oil vapors being expelled by the lungs is possible.
Inhaled yes, but I don’t even think oil vapors are even absorbed.

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Do you cough even from test ?

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I mixed embolism where a large clough forms and can create a serious block (ie. heart attack) with pulmonary oil microembolism (POME). Pome produces the cough that I'm talking about.

In this study 19 out of 1000 injections produced POME: https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&********web&rct=j&url=http://www.eje-online.org/content/172/5/511.full.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi3zuDO__vaAhVMbVAKHVjCD3MQFjAGegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1xzyPo5483E629rewB18sh

This was a more serious case. The report you all have probably seen before: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3205107/

So, coughing after an IM shot is offcourse possible. Albeit rare. I'm surprised that we are here discussing it as I thought this was common knowledge?

What I experienced two days ago was some sort of an alergic reaction. I started producing a lot of slime from my bronchies, that I had to spit out and an itch that made me cough. An antihistamine seemed to fix the problem or it went away on it's own, not quite sure. I was at home and nothing special had happened and I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary. So...I don't know :)

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From the first study, injections were given deep into the glute muscle using a 21g needle. They went in deep (probably 1 1/2” with a big needle. Coughing lasted 1-10 minutes and oxygen wasn’t required. Nothing to be really of concern, but it’s possible.

The second study goes on to describe how pome happens from a mix up in the body. This is probably why it happened so infrequently in the previous study, normally everything gets filtered fine before making it to the lungs.
But the secondary studies conclusion is as follows:
“The injection of oil-steroid solution was unwitnessed in the present case and it was, therefore, difficult to discern whether the initial shortness of breath was truly respiratory difficulty due to arterial injection of oil or more a subjective experience related to the injection event itself.“
——-

So many (including myself) have probably never heard of this because it happens so infrequently in an injection and what it does, is of no concern and over within minutes so most When this happens probably don’t give it a second thought

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From the first study, injections were given deep into the glute muscle using a 21g needle. They went in deep (probably 1 1/2” with a big needle. Coughing lasted 1-10 minutes and oxygen wasn’t required. Nothing to be really of concern, but it’s possible.

The second study goes on to describe how pome happens from a mix up in the body. This is probably why it happened so infrequently in the previous study, normally everything gets filtered fine before making it to the lungs.
But the secondary studies conclusion is as follows:
“The injection of oil-steroid solution was unwitnessed in the present case and it was, therefore, difficult to discern whether the initial shortness of breath was truly respiratory difficulty due to arterial injection of oil or more a subjective experience related to the injection event itself.“
——-

So many (including myself) have probably never heard of this because it happens so infrequently in an injection and what it does, is of no concern and over within minutes so most When this happens probably don’t give it a second thought
Yeah it's not a big deal at all. It does happen however and some may panick where others wont realy give it a thought...

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, I wussed out and went in the vg's again. Lol. It's just so much easier to sit there & hold it with one hand and push the plunger with the other.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't aspirate anymore.
You really don't need to.
If you have everinjected something into a vien ( most people havnt) you'd know if you were actually in a vien.
It aspirated for you. Especially in a large gauge needle. The blood will shoot into the syring. Real unlikely to happen especially in the shoulder.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
All my needles are 1/2 inch long and 25g.
So I don’t worry about hitting any large veins

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't aspirate anymore.
You really don't need to.
If you have everinjected something into a vien ( most people havnt) you'd know if you were actually in a vien.
It aspirated for you. Especially in a large gauge needle. The blood will shoot into the syring. Real unlikely to happen especially in the shoulder.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but I don't think this should be possible as the back pressure wouldn't be high enough? Also if you don't have any air in the syringe, then it wouldn't be possible at all?

All my needles are 1/2 inch long and 25g.
So I don’t worry about hitting any large veins
You use this for delts? I use 23g 1" mostly and a 22g 2" which I bought by mistake, so now I'll just use them, although the lenght is a bit*h :)

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm just thinking out loud here, but I don't think this should be possible as the back pressure wouldn't be high enough? Also if you handt have any air in the syringe, then it wouldnt be possible at all?

You use this for delts? I use 23g 1" mostly and a 22g 2" which I bought by mistake, so now I'll just use them, although the lenght is a bit*h :)
True. You leave a little air in a syringe if you want it to aspirate automatically .
It absolutely works that way though. I guarantee it.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
True. You leave a little air in a syringe if you want it to aspirate automatically .
It absolutely works that way though. I guarantee it.
Interesting. I'll keep this in mind, tnx for the info!

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yea I use it for everywhere. I mostly inject glutes.