Is it wise to bulk or cut while not on cycle

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi all:

I run two 8 week cycles of the andros each year. My question is, when not on a cycle and not on PCT, is it possible to make gains or do most people just look to maintain what they have while not on cycle. For example, I am worried if I ran a cycle to bulk while on andros, then after PCT, attempted a cut I could lose some of my muscle, or vica versa, if I ran a cutting cycle on the andros, then after PCT took some natural supplements such as ARA and Laxogenin to gain muscle by bulking and ate above maintenance calories to do so, I could end up gaining fat, rather than muscle. I would like to hear what most do while not on cycle, maintain, cut, bulk? If one only limits themselves to cutting or bulking while on a cycle and does it right that only gives the person 16-18 weeks a year to make body composition changes. So my basic questions is, what strategy would yield the most progress (assuming you are also eating and training right at all times)?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So many factors here, mains ones are your age, your years training, your genetics???

A younger guy new to training can gain muscle any time - just quicker when on cycle.

Older guys with years of training experience may struggle to gain muscle whilst natty (training and diet on point it’s normally possible but just very slow).

I’m pretty new into anabolics but as a 36 yr old who after 5 years of training was finding progress really really slow my aim is maintence off cycle and growth on. I wasn’t gaining much natty so it’s not like I’m missing out on much during those maintence phases.....

Should note I do think dialled in Nutrition and training making cutting off cycle possible with minimal muscle loss........

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So many factors here, mains ones are your age, your years training, your genetics???

A younger guy new to training can gain muscle any time - just quicker when on cycle.

Older guys with years of training experience may struggle to gain muscle whilst natty (training and diet on point it’s normally possible but just very slow).

I’m pretty new into anabolics but as a 36 yr old who after 5 years of training was finding progress really really slow my aim is maintence off cycle and growth on. I wasn’t gaining much natty so it’s not like I’m missing out on much during those maintence phases.....

Should note I do think dialled in Nutrition and training making cutting off cycle possible with minimal muscle loss........
Thanks for your reply. I am in the same boat as you as I am 40 years old. Certainly one other thing to consider too is if you only look for composition changes during a cycle and only try to maintain off cycle you don't have to spend a bundle on supplements like you would trying to bulk/cut off cycle. Things such as Laxogenin, ARA, HMB, etc. can blow a hole in your wallet pretty fast. Ive decided only to cut while on cycle. I don't know if it is my age or what, but no matter how much I watch my macros, do HIIT while cutting off cycle I end up losing weight, but much more muscle than fat. That isn't the case while on cycle. After my 8 week cycle on the andros and post cycle therapy I do think I will give bulking non-hormonally one try and use all the tools in the box such as HMB, ARA, Laxogenin all at once with 5 to 6 days a week lifting for say an 8 week period. If at the end I see I just add fat, then hey I learn a lesson and at least I will save money in my supplement budget by not doing it again!