More Liver Protection Advice

1. Banned
    Answers

More Liver Protection Advice

From JunkYardDog @ IT

The following supplements are recommended for liver support while using gear, drinking alcohol, and/or taking oral medications known to cause liver damage over time. It is also good to use them to detoxify the system on a regular basis, even if you are not using gear, drinking alcohol, and/or taking oral medications known to cause liver damage over time.

Liver Support

Supplement Dosage Frequency
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Water 128+ ounces ED

Drinking water is instrumental in detoxification. Water flushes toxins and waste from the body and transports nutrients to where they are needed.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) 1000 mg ED

Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) is a natural anti-oxidant which has been used for years in Europe because of it's ability to help MAINTAIN AND RESTORE LIVER HEALTH. It's anti-oxidant capabilities are so ideal it has been called "a universal antioxidant" and has been used in the treatment of radiation and mushroom poisoning, alcoholic hepatitis, diabetes-related neuropathy and (most importantly) ELEVATED LIVER ENZYMES.

Milk Thistle (80% Silymarin) 600-1000 mg ED

Milk thistle was named Silybum by Dioscorides in 100 AD for its large purple thistle-like flower heads. Since ancient times, the plant was valued for its nutritional and medicinal properties. By the Middle Ages the seed of the Milk Thistle was commonly used to treat liver diseases, to promote the flow of bile, and as a general tonic for the stomach, spleen, gallbladder, female organs, and liver.

Selenium 800 mcg ED

Selenium works closely with Vitamin E as an antioxidant. It helps fight premature aging and hardening of the tissues through oxidation. Selenium helps with the male reproductive system.
    Note: Anything over 800 mcg/day is toxic!

Cranberry Extract 400-800 mg ED-

Cranberry Juice Extract is great for urinary tract infections and aids in helping kill bacteria in the bladder.
    Note: Cranberry Extract is not directly responsible for cleansing the liver. It is more for the urinary tract. It is very good for overall health

2. Registered User
    Answers

This one should be read. There are lots of people out there doing cycles of anything and it should be noted that they need to take more precautions. The people cycling need to watch for possible dangers that can come from using these substances and need to address them before hand and help themselves before anything bad would happen.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

read and use, ya liver hatin bastards!

woo, 800mcg selenium/day? this doesn't seem to agree with what was noted in the Vit C Megadosing thread (200 daily)

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/s...1744#post31744
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

It's true thread states that 800mcg selenium could be toxic. It also says 200mcg is as effective as 400mcg. It would be great if someone could clear this up for the members. Two moderator threads opposing eachother.
  5. Banned
    Answers

Selenium is one of those catch 22 minerals. Recommended doses for regular training athletes is 150-300mcg ED. Its only toxic in doses over 1mg.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

aight, good deal. thanks for clearin' it up Mr Bee
  7. Banned
    Answers

You're right YJ, If I run my mouth in 1 more post, I will be banned.... thanks for the help.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

WTF happened here? Who the hell is sifu????

There is no clinical evidence that dosing any more than 200mcg produces any other benefits than 200mcg does. Were not in "conflict" per se gentelmen, just different articles. My info is coming from the Linus Pauling Institute which is highly regarded by all in the scientific community. I can assure that YJ has good sources for his articles too. But in IMO, Paulings word overrules all in these matters and I choose to go with him. There are cases, I believe, of Selenium being toxic in less than 1mg but they are not the norm.

For me its always about the lowest effective dose. Sometimes the variables are to many to have a consistent baseline and somtimes not. I think in this case it has been demonstrated fairly universal for all. But again, that just MO.
  9. Banned
    Answers

Originally posted by windwords7

There is no clinical evidence that dosing any more than 200mcg produces any other benefits than 200mcg does.

Define 'benefits'? Just curious.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

The place that I work at(University of Missouri-Research Reactor) did a 5 year study on selenium supplementation and selenium deficiency. It was concluded that 200mcg was all that was needed to derive all of the benefits that selenium confers. I will get the study and post it for you. As long as the selenium is yeast derived, 200mcg should be fine. Inorganic forms of selenium are absorbed by the body as a toxic substance, meaning less selenium in the bloodstream and unknown long term effects.
  11. Banned
    Answers

Originally posted by Sir Foxx
    The place that I work at(University of Missouri-Research Reactor) did a 5 year study on selenium supplementation and selenium deficiency. It was concluded that 200mcg was all that was needed to derive all of the benefits that selenium confers. I will get the study and post it for you. As long as the selenium is yeast derived, 200mcg should be fine. Inorganic forms of selenium are absorbed by the body as a toxic substance, meaning less selenium in the bloodstream and unknown long term effects.
    Cool, would like to see that... Im not disagreeing with Jake, just would like to see real proof, Im sure it exists, Im not doubting, but you know me, I like to read and learn.....
  12. Registered User
    Answers

yeh, let's see this thing! sounds like a cool job you have as well there Sir Foxx.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Originally posted by YellowJacket

Define 'benefits'? Just curious.
    Hey bro, there is so much info I'll just post the link. This link is full of studies to back up what they are saying. Peace!

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...ium/index.html
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Give me till Thursday to post it, I talked with the Dr. who did the study, earlier tonight and he is getting the study for me to post here.

I am a Health Physics Tech. I work at the largest and most powerful research nuclear reactor in the world. We are primarily in the business of producing radiopharmaceuticals for certain types of cancer, along with dating archeological material from different sites all over the world. We used to irradiate clear topaz(cheap and plentiful) to turn it blue(not so cheap or plentiful naturally) until the market bottomed out by the Russians firing up a few reactors just for gem irradiation, causing the prices to drop below breakeven.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Liver Protection - Essentiale Forte?
    By baham99 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 12:27 AM
  2. Nice Liver Protection Website
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:47 PM
  3. More Liver Tab Pimping.....
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements