Max gains?

pureburl

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if this should be posted in the fitness section but it does have to do with aas so that's why I posted here. So I'm wondering based off your experiences and knowledge which training style yields the biggest size gains while on cycle. Strictly hypertrophy or high weight low reps? Or a mix of the 2? What are your thoughts and experience for the biggest size gains while on aas? Merry Christmas all

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh boy....

Lol. Well, speaking strictly generally then yeah you can generate hypertrophy using just about any rep range BUT the most efficient means of doing so is getting the best balance between load and fatigue. Which tends to be the good old 8-12 rep range.

And then you have all kinds of other variables like overall volume, training to failure, rest pause, etc etc which will determine how effective a rep range will be.

So its kinda missing the point and a big piece of the equation to state "train with such and such rep ranges for te most gainz".

Personally, Id say dont neglect the psychological factor. Its fawkin huge. Low reps may contribute to hypertrophy but if you hate doing them with a vengeance to the point you miss sessions, it makes sense to train with protocols that light your fire (again, generally).

By the time you decide to utilise AAS, ideally you have some idea of what protocols light your fire and actually have you make progress (strength and size).

pureburl

Awards
  • Established
Oh boy....

Lol. Well, speaking strictly generally then yeah you can generate hypertrophy using just about any rep range BUT the most efficient means of doing so is getting the best balance between load and fatigue. Which tends to be the good old 8-12 rep range.

And then you have all kinds of other variables like overall volume, training to failure, rest pause, etc etc which will determine how effective a rep range will be.

So its kinda missing the point and a big piece of the equation to state "train with such and such rep ranges for te most gainz".

Personally, Id say dont neglect the psychological factor. Its fawkin huge. Low reps may contribute to hypertrophy but if you hate doing them with a vengeance to the point you miss sessions, it makes sense to train with protocols that light your fire (again, generally).

By the time you decide to utilise AAS, ideally you have some idea of what protocols light your fire and actually have you make progress (strength and size).
I agree with you and also agree my question was somewhat vague and missing variables. Reason I'm asking is because some will swear that more volume produces better size gains, not necessarily strength. I've always found that a combination of overload with weight with long rest and overload with volume with short rest works for me. Just curious on others experience because I enjoy training different from time to time and there may be more beneficial ways than how I do it. Thanks for your input though bro

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well yeah, the more volume you can manage the better. But that itself comes with cavaeats (more volume will tend to make recovery more of an issue, so deloads and overreaching are potential concerns).

But you still want to experiment. I know I said that you should have an idea of what works for you, but this doesnt mean you have to stick solely with that.

Theres a million ways to vary the parameters of any training protocol. I personally rotate between programs that have high frequency and low session volume, and programs that have lower frequency and high session volume. When bulking, weekly volume is high compared to cutting when its lower.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm far from the smartest guy on here, but I know a lot of smart guys on here. And you can always tell a smart guy because he knows that there is no one size fits all, best way to do anything. Not the answer you were looking for, but I don't think there is n answer to that question.

pureburl

Awards
  • Established
I'm far from the smartest guy on here, but I know a lot of smart guys on here. And you can always tell a smart guy because he knows that there is no one size fits all, best way to do anything. Not the answer you were looking for, but I don't think there is n answer to that question.
Im not really looking for one specific answer. Just wanted to hear everyone's personal preference/experience with different training styles (rep schemes, rest periods, sets, drop set, super sets etc). I know what I personally prefer, but always interested to try more

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Based on what I learned about anabolics before my first ph cycle I programmed an 8 week phat style training log. Main difference was the number of sets on hyperthrophy days was increased (to take advantage of the ability to handle for volume) and the strength days had more accessory stuff and some neg work.

I overloaded weight first 2 weeks on all 5 days then started adding reps rather than weight on hyperthrophy days.

In pct now and looking back I genuinely think I’ll do exactly the same next time - it worked really well (possibly more luck than judgement.

In pct I’ve increased the weight whilst reducing the volume of work (giving the new muscle a reason to stay whilst acknowledging I simply can’t push as hard or recover as quick).

Should be noted than historically I respond better to higher volume than low rep stuff.

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
The answer is going to be found in your definition of “max gains.” If your goal is strength, lift heavy. If the goal is shear size 8-15 rep range will fit the bill. If both, do a combo set of both. One week hyp followed by a strength week.... or, every day add an element of strength for a single movement followed by two two hyp lifts. There are a 1000’ways to do it.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Amen. Makes me laugh when I see people argue one side or the other stating their "studies" that prove them correct. Then again, where is the fun if your not moving big a** weight?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There can be “general rules of thumb,” but they are just that, and shouldn’t be taken to be the be-all-end-all of creating a training protocol that will yield the best results for everyone. Some people respond better to high reps than low reps, some people are prone to injury if they go too heavy, some people have certain exercises that aggravate old injuries or certain body parts, some people have schedules that make certain protocols work better (and more sustainable) than others (how many times per week, how long each session, etc). There’s also the question of what equipment you have, if you consistently have reliable spotters, etc. Then, since you mentioned “while on aas,” that throws another variable(s) into the equation. There’s some basic level of trial and error in finding what protocol works best for you, that is what yields the best results and you enjoy doing.

SwoleNation

SwoleNation

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In my opinion... While on cycle it's all about hypertrophy. High reps, generate an insane pump and tear those muscle fibers.

I would strength train, low reps, on PCT.

pureburl

Awards
  • Established
There can be “general rules of thumb,” but they are just that, and shouldn’t be taken to be the be-all-end-all of creating a training protocol that will yield the best results for everyone. Some people respond better to high reps than low reps, some people are prone to injury if they go too heavy, some people have certain exercises that aggravate old injuries or certain body parts, some people have schedules that make certain protocols work better (and more sustainable) than others (how many times per week, how long each session, etc). There’s also the question of what equipment you have, if you consistently have reliable spotters, etc. Then, since you mentioned “while on aas,” that throws another variable(s) into the equation. There’s some basic level of trial and error in finding what protocol works best for you, that is what yields the best results and you enjoy doing.
Good reply bro. I know that's the correct answer, that there's no one right answer. I was just interested in hearing people's opinions that work for them

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
They say low rep high weight for strength, but I know a dude who will do 10 sets of 10 reps of 495 on squats. He does 10 sets of everything. He's an absolute animal. Personally Ill do his 10 sets of hell, I'll do typical 3-5 sets 10-12 reps, sometimes ill do 5 sets of 12-15. Honestly can't really pin down what training style has giving me the best gains.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know a dude who will do 10 sets of 10 reps of 495 on squats. He does 10 sets of everything. He's an absolute animal.
You know Brian Carroll or something bro? - 10x10 at 495 is crazy strong especially is following the rest periods on a proper GVT program.........at that weight the guy must be an elite level lifter?

K3flex

K3flex

Awards
You know Brian Carroll or something bro? - 10x10 at 495 is crazy strong especially is following the rest periods on a proper GVT program.........at that weight the guy must be an elite level lifter?
I wouldn't believe unless I saw it with my own eyes. It's ridiculous to watch.