Fenugreek = diosgenin? and boosts milk supply in mothers?

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.91%

Fenugreek = diosgenin? and boosts milk supply in mothers?

Taken from: http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/fenugreek.html

"Mothers who wish to build their milk supplies may consider using Fenugreek. Fenugreek is an herb that has long been used by healers as medicine, and as a galactogogue (to boost milk supply). Historically, fenugreek is an herb, trigonella foenum-graecum L, and is grown in various countries around the world including Argentina, France, India, and North Africa, and in the Mediterranean countries. The dried ripe seed of the plant is used, with one active ingredient being diosgenin. Fenugreek is used as a ground seed (high in fiber) in capsule form, or in tea, to increase milk production. The tea is weaker than the capsule form.

The dose is 2-3 capsules (580-610 mg each), taken by mouth 3 times/day. Taking a lesser dose may not increase supply. Results are often noticed in 1-3 days, although some mothers report no improvement. A bottle of 100 capsules can cost between $6-8 US, and it is available in health food stores and natural food stores. There is no reliable clinical research that supports the use of this herb, although many practitioners do use it with breastfeeding mothers with good success. Fenugreek is used in artificial maple flavorings, and also has a food product. If used to build milk supply, Fenugreek can generally be discontinued after milk supply is increased, as long as a mother can regularly breastfeed or pump."

Another little blurb taken from: http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...fenugreek.html

Fenugreek and breastfeeding ? Fenugreek seeds contain hormone precursors that increase milk supply. Scientists do not know for sure how this happens. Some believe it is possible because breasts are modified sweat glands, and fenugreek stimulates sweat production. It has been found that fenugreek can increase a nursing mother?s milk supply within 24 to 72 hours after first taking the herb. Once an adequate level of milk production is reached, most women can discontinue the fenugreek and maintain the milk supply with adequate breast stimulation. Many women today take fenugreek in a pill form (ground seeds placed in capsules). The pills can be found at most vitamin and nutrition stores and at many supermarkets and natural foods stores. Fenugreek can also be taken in tea form, although tea is believed to be less potent than the pills and the tea comes with a bitter taste that can be hard to stomach.

Fenugreek is not right for everyone. The herb has caused aggravated asthma symptoms in some women and has lowered blood glucose levels in some women with diabetes. Please read Dr. Ruth Lawrence's article Herbs and Breastfeeding for more information on fenugreek.

______________________________ ________

While many sites mention that fenugreek "may" help enhance libido, is also has the active ingredient of diosgenin, which is a growth stimulator for mammary glands (and also a steroid sapogenin, such as Wild Yam). The estrogenic effects of diosgenin have been demonstrated by some studies and diosgenin, as is my understanding, is converted into progesterone, ecdysone and pregnenolone naturally, although my understanding is that there are no enzymes in the human body that will convert diosgenin into progesterone. My question is, won't the use of this product cause concern for any persons suffering from the effects of gyno already, and perhaps even be the catalyst to cause them to begin lactating? I'm not a scientist, so I have no idea

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

this is correct. when my wife had my son, he had her use fenugreek to keep up feeding my huge son...

fenugreek also has +'s for males as well from what I've read about it
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.81%

Dr.D touts it for PCT so he might know whats up, I noticed that I had a re-volumizing effect very quickly when I started Fenungreek in PCT. I'm not sure how that would work... but it does seem to work just the same.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.45%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Bumping this thread, there is a debate starting on bb.com on this exact subject. Just curious if anyone has some research to show that it is helpful for males, more so during pct. If anyone is interested in the debate, here it is http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=647298
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I hear your concerns, but if you're running something like ATD and Nolva along side the fenu, I think that would be sufficient. If it were really an issue, we would have heard about it from someone.

On a side note, my sis recently had a kid, and when I saw the fenugreek I started teasing my bro-in-law about it. He was like are you talking about. It really blew up inn my face
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.01%

I think it works by either stimulating LH or mimicing it, b/c the effects in both men and women are similar to HCG.

I used ATD and Nolva after a 12 week cycle, and it wasn't until the Fneugreek/MACA/DHEA came in that I bounced back.

AND...I always mention this, but I will never use ATD again, as it causes shedding in me (the ONLY thing I've ever taken to do so), ruins my libido, and reduces T binding to the androgen receptor:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 01:10 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
  4. HMB and Creatine 2 weeks in
    By DieTrying in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:48 AM