The best training style while "on" a bulker

The best training style while on a bulker is some form of.....

• Total voters

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to make a poll anyway. What is the most effective training style while "on" a bulking cycle? What have you had the most success with? Please feel free to add if I have missed a style.

Boss_K

Awards
  • Established
I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to make a poll anyway. What is the most effective training style while "on" a bulking cycle? What have you had the most success with? Please feel free to add if I have missed a style.
hard and heavy.

solarize

solarize

191cm, 98kg (6'3, 215lb)
Awards
  • Established
Failure

Liftin to failure on most sets. go as heavy as possible. Get a spotting partner if possible. Concentrate on the big lifts. Train each muscle group twice a week.. get lots of sleep.

bigcity

Awards
I have gained more from DC then any other style I have ever used, Hard to stick with year round, butr great for a bulker

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
So I guess TUT isnt the way to go cuz your cant lift as heavy?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have been very pleased with DC off or on cycle and will continue to do similar DC style routines in the future, perhaps with an exception of a Westside (still want to try that).

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
this post is pretty interesting. Seems that their is little homogeny in preference.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
While I can't comment on the best I would say that HST is probably the worst. It's too structured in that you can't work to failure but every 2 weeks and you have to follow a certain weight rep pattern.

While "on" you should train to failure and take advantage of the strength gains. HST just doesn't let you take advantage of the benefits while "on".

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
this post is pretty interesting. Seems that their is little homogeny in preference.
On the contrary I think there is a definate trend here......hard, heavy, intense.

I would also aggree that HST is not the most productive plan for while "on". While using you really need to be able to take advantage of the enhanced recuperation that your body has by pushing it hard as often as possible.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I voted for the classic split. I tend to put genetics/diet/drugs lumped together before training when it comes to bbing goals overall. I just make accomodations and changes as I need to and pick some sort of non-retarded way of training. As far as bbing goes, I don't think the decision has hurt me any.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i was liking max-ot before, but now i'm thinking twice a week for each muscle group just short of failures. right now i'm doing an upper body variation A on tues lower body variation A thur, upper body variation B sat & lower body variation B sun. just wasn't getting enough.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
what exactly is DC
DC is just an abbreviation for the nic of the guy who promotes the training (aka Doggcrap). Without trying to explain the training in detail it's basically rest-pause training where each "set" of the rest-pause is taken to failure and each muscle gets hit with just one exercise per training session which consists of three sets with about a 60 sec pause between them.

The key though is his "extreme stretching" protocol. Painfull? YES! Worth it? Definately!

Bas4Lizzife

Awards
I like high volume/ high frequency

ex:
monday am: chest, hams
monday pm: back traps
tuesday am: quads, triceps
tuesday pm: shoulders, biceps

wed: off
thurs: repeat monday w/ new exercises
friday: repeat tuesday w/ new exercises

sat and sun: off

12-20 sets per session

Im in the middle of a tren/prop cycle and found myself leaner than i expected to be after 3 weeks so I did this for the next 3 weeks, puttind down 5-6000 cals a day and had great success. really helped bring up my chest and my arms and in just a few weeks I was getting a lot of comments about hwo thick I was looking. Im running adex by the way and very dry right now. You just have to be careful to back off after a few weeks and avoid an extended state of overtraining

DrPhil

Awards
Doggcrap combined with steroids will cause great increases in strenght, I know from experience. However, I do wonder if the strenght gains are too good, to the point where it might become dangerous to joints and stuff.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
WS
some type of modified 5x5 (Needsize's version?)
Whatever has worked for you in the past...but maybe up the weight.
TUT incorporated into your routine works great too...has for me anyway.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't agree more. DC during a bulk/cycle is the only way to go.

I have gained more from DC then any other style I have ever used, Hard to stick with year round, butr great for a bulker

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had good results at the start of my cycle on max ot hit a plateu after about 7 weeks switchted to westside and now and having gains again

jjm

jjm

Awards
Can someone who uses a traditional split comment? Some use a traditional split and work each muscle once a week, but I'd like to hear some testimonial from someone who uses a traditional split and works their muscles 2 times a week.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
dc works great just about any time. It works exceptionally well while "on".

I've also recently used a modified HST style routine while on and if the timing is right this can be super productive. I continued to make muscle and strength gains while in recovery.

Powerhouse 48

Powerhouse 48

Awards
Im gonna throw out one that wasnt mentioned, GVT, German Volume Training, great for putting on slabs of beef!! and you need the shortened recovery time that gear offers to truly MAX-OUT the gvt program, b/c you know those damned east germans were juicing lik mofo's when they invinted that stuff in the 70's!

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
You guys like the Max-OT i see, i've never really done it. I personally love DC and don't intend on every straying from it unless maybe i feel like switching to a powerlifting style program like i used to do once a year for added strength.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I personally like DC, but I think most important is that you:
1) lift to failure
2) emphasize compound lifts
3) lift heavy - focus on increasing strength every week

As long as you keep the intensity high and move max weight then the gains will come.

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
I use a mix between DC an HST; a very fine tuned customized workout if you will. I was blown away by the results last time I used it. I was at my peak at the time; in both size and strength. I'm using now, again, while I'm on cycle.

Sprt

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hard, heavy, high intensity, with instinct, focus

SureShot

SureShot

Awards
  • Established
DC or HIT always worked for me, volume does nothing for me. HIT or DC+tren/test= amazing

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got strong and fat with Max OT. Not enough volume, too much rest, not enough frequency for lagging parts. Boring to be honest. I give it a thumbs down.

HST is fun right now because you ALWAYS have a successful workout. But I don't recommend it on cycle for the aformentioned intensity reasons.

I really enjoy P/RR/S. It will works well for strength and recomp but maybe not the REALLY heavy power lifts because you don't do them frequently enough.

A traditional push/pull split should work well with whatever rep ranges you choose IMO. I like that it's very flexible in terms of frequency and optional rest days.

sharky

sharky

Awards
Just Hit For All Your Worth Till You Have Nothing Left. Hit The Hell Out Of It All The Time,GO THROUGH THEM LIKE CRAP THROUGH A GOOSE. And Dont Be Interested In Not Doing So Other Than The Enemy(weights). Wade Into Them, Spill Their Blood, Kick Them In The Belly. One Day When Your Grandsone Askes You What Did You Do In The Great World War 11. You Wont Have To Tell Him... Well I Shoveled **** In Louisana. When You Put Your Hand Into A Bunch Of Goo That A Molment Before Was Your Best Friends Face... Youll Know What To Do.