6 week into cycle, no size change

Zeon

Awards
Initially I put on 7kg, of which I dropped off 4kg after upping AI. 6 weeks in I have gained no further weight and look no different, although lifts have gone up and continue to go up. Eating at +400 kcal above maintanence.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
You may want to bump up your intake. What's your training regiment look like and what are you on?

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
3x a week lifting on cycle? You need to up calories and training intensity on and off cycle, find a new lifting program. Minimal effort makes for minimal results

Zeon

Awards
3x a week lifting on cycle? You need to up calories and training intensity on and off cycle, find a new lifting program. Minimal effort makes for minimal results
Each workout takes around 2 hours.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
If your focusing on strength (below 5 reps) you'll get harder but you probably won't put on much size just because you're increase the number of myofibrils and not focusing on increasing cell volume.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Each workout takes around 2 hours.
Bro, wtf

Have you been running this 'program' for long and been seeing progress prior to now? Or have you just recently switched to it? Is it an actual training program or something youve cobbled together?

Edit: just reread OP, youre getting stronger. So you are seeing some progress. Well, if you want to see quicker bodycomp changes youll have to either modify diet, and/or train more volume/frequency/higher reps. In other words, sacrifice some load for fatigue.

Zeon

Awards
I thought the whole "high reps for size low for strength" had been debunked? Yeah I've been running it for a while and have seen linear progression every week, which is what I count as progress.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I thought the whole "high reps for size low for strength" had been debunked?.
No. If anything has been debunked its that hypertrophy is a black-white rep range phenomonon.

Any rep range can add size, but some rep ranges will do so better than others. 8-12 offers the best balance/compromise between fatigue and load. Lower rep ranges overemphasise load at the cost of fatigue, higher rep ranges overemphasise fatigue at the cost of load. 8-12 is a good middle road between the two.

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Youre only on 300mg test e and you're only 6 weeks in; I wouldn't have expected anything too dramatic anyways, especially only training 3x a week

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
300mg test isn't particularly high...most run 500, also training 3x a week is not enough, and 2hours a time doesn't make it better... stick with a decent programme or make your own. 5-6x a week training, 1hour of heavy lifting, drop sets, high intensity and you should see results even at 300mg.

hambone2493

Awards
  • Established
How many cycles of test have you done? Because 300mgs for your first 1 or 2 cycles should yield great results, but as you become more experienced your dose should increase.

Zeon

Awards
300mg test isn't particularly high...most run 500, also training 3x a week is not enough, and 2hours a time doesn't make it better... stick with a decent programme or make your own. 5-6x a week training, 1hour of heavy lifting, drop sets, high intensity and you should see results even at 300mg.
So 5-6 times a week even if I'm doing full body? Will I have enough time to recover?

Zeon

Awards
How many cycles of test have you done? Because 300mgs for your first 1 or 2 cycles should yield great results, but as you become more experienced your dose should increase.
Its my first cycle, getting bloodwork tommorow. Might bump up to 400/450 depending on results

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So 5-6 times a week even if I'm doing full body? Will I have enough time to recover?
If youre going to switch programs, choose a time-tested one that suits your goals. If you want the best of both worlds (progressing low rep strength and increase muscle size) PHAT is adequate. If you want to emphasize low rep strength with a little bit of accessory work look into Madcow or a 531 template.

Zeon

Awards
If youre going to switch programs, choose a time-tested one that suits your goals. If you want the best of both worlds (progressing low rep strength and increase muscle size) PHAT is adequate. If you want to emphasize low rep strength with a little bit of accessory work look into Madcow or a 531 template.
The thing is everyone has a different opinion it seems. Some people think 5x5 is best, then you've got brosplits, PPL, PHUL/PHAT, 5/3/1... its difficult with so many people preaching different things.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The thing is everyone has a different opinion it seems. Some people think 5x5 is best, then you've got brosplits, PPL, PHUL/PHAT, 5/3/1... its difficult with so many people preaching different things.
Thats the beauty of being in this for the long haul, you/we have years to trial this crap and assess what works best for our ownselves.

I mean theyre all workable. Just pick something you think ticks all your boxes and run it.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Aren't you the guy who argued with me that 100mg of test a week will add size?

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I'd change it up and do a programme or your own split I.e

Mon- Back
Tue- Chest
Wed- Legs
Thur- Shoulders
Fri- Arms
Sat- Back or Chest again?
Sun- Rest or cardio.

Something like that so your body is hit every day, or do Back and Bi's etc.

If you have a weak body part train it twice a week.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd change it up and do a programme or your own split
No. Most people are too dumb/inexperienced to create their own programs. A "split" is only 10% of what constitutes a proper training program.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
No. Most people are too dumb/inexperienced to create their own programs. A "split" is only 10% of what constitutes a proper training program.
Well I don't know his training background. That's why it's a suggestion. I also don't believe it's only 10%. But each to their own I guess, I've always had great success in size and strength using a split of my own.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well I don't know his training background. That's why it's a suggestion. I also don't believe it's only 10%.
His training background? Maybe Im being unreasonably presumptuous but just look at his posts itt.

10%...you might be overlooking the specifics if how that split is being fleshed out? Variables like volume, periodization, fatigue techniques, exercises, etc etc. The split you mentioned said absolutely nothing of these. These things are 90% of why most guys should stick with established programs, at least til they have substantial experience with them.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Okay. Drop to a 100mg a week then we'll talk again. I said 300mg is what I recommended. Was I wrong? No.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, at 300mg/week I'm at 2217 so joke's on you.
What was your estrogen reading
You may need to back off the ai some. Estrogen is good for growth

Also in a 12 week cycle you normally hit about 3 spurts. One in the beginning one in about week 6-8 and one towards the end. At some point in the cycle you may feel a plateau then growth. Remember your body is always trying to stabilize itself.

Stick with it, you chose to do a low dose first cycle so you'll get a feel for how it works. 300 mg a week won't turn you into Phil Heath but you can expect a good 10-15 lbs over a 10-12 week cycle at that dose.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I prefer higher reps on cycle, like 12-20+ and lower off cycle like 3-10. No particular reason, just seems to work for me. Also full body 3x a week worked well for me when I first started but now I only find it good for strength and I only do it short periods of time. I second push, pull legs or something similar. I second upping the dose to 500.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Heavy weights with little rest is the equation for muscular hypertrophy

Theoretically if you're lifting at 80% of your 1 rep max, you shouldn't be able to do any more than 8 reps.

45 sec rest between sets.

Again, theoretically you shouldn't be able to hit the same weight for 8 reps you did previously.

70-80 percent of 1rm is typically the recommended rep ranges for hypertrophy with 45sec-1min rest. Don't be a biitch, opt for the 45sec rest.

4-5 sets.

Get a great 10min dynamic warmup in before you start.

Full body 3 days a week is fine if you're doing a periodized routine, like dup.

A proper training program usually involves too much (basic) math for most (98%) gym goers.

If you want to make it simple hire a trainer with a bs in exercise physiology.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Heavy weights with little rest is the equation for muscular hypertrophy

Theoretically if you're lifting at 80% of your 1 rep max, you shouldn't be able to do any more than 8 reps.

45 sec rest between sets.

Again, theoretically you shouldn't be able to hit the same weight for 8 reps you did previously.

70-80 percent of 1rm is typically the recommended rep ranges for hypertrophy with 45sec-1min rest. Don't be a biitch, opt for the 45sec rest.

4-5 sets.

Get a great 10min dynamic warmup in before you start.

Full body 3 days a week is fine if you're doing a periodized routine, like dup.

A proper training program usually involves too much (basic) math for most (98%) gym goers.

If you want to make it simple hire a trainer with a bs in exercise physiology.
Agreed.