Eating a bigger surplus on cycle

Zeon

Awards
While on cycle, do you guys eat more calorie than you would off cycle (regardless of cut/bulk)?

csline

csline

Awards
  • Established
No, it depends. On a cut, I can afford to LESS calories than I'd be eating if I wasn't on a cycle, because muscle protein synthesis (mps) and nitrogen retention in the muscle is way more efficient. So less muscle breakdown will occur than if calories were the same while not on a cycle. Therefore, you can afford to cut even more, and hold onto muscle better.

For a bulk, yes. Definitely I'll eat more. And then more. And more. Like I said, MPS and nitrogen retention and through the roof on cycle, so you're able to build more than what's naturally possible. I'll up my protein to about 1.5g per lb of LBM, and carbs at about 2x my weight

Most importantly more

Reactions: Nac

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mehh.. depends if I am not gaining..

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
csline, I agree, except that I'd also say thay I track weight gain and check and adjust weekly. You can still get fat while on gear. Very easily, actually.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
csline, I agree, except that I'd also say thay I track weight gain and check and adjust weekly. You can still get fat while on gear. Very easily, actually.
I also find that it depends on the compound or combination of compounds. Some seemingly partition nutrients to such a higher degree than others. So I can afford to eat more (which everyone likes to do) with no fat gain. Others don't afford me the same luxury. Some compounds make me ravenously hungry and I eat more because it hurts not to. Some kill my appetite. And those reactions aren't always what I intend to happen for my cycle goals. I have found what works for me goal:diet wise and cycle accordingly.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also find that it depends on the compound or combination of compounds. Some seemingly partition nutrients to such a higher degree than others. So I can afford to eat more (which everyone likes to do) with no fat gain. Others don't afford me the same luxury. Some compounds make me ravenously hungry and I eat more because it hurts not to. Some kill my appetite. And those reactions aren't always what I intend to happen for my cycle goals. I have found what works for me goal:diet wise and cycle accordingly.
That's very true. Test/Tren and T3 obviously have quite a bit more nutrient partitioning than say, Test/Deca/Dbol.

I've learned to stay away from compounds that kill appetite, even if that feature is handy like in contest prep. The reason behind side effects like that is NOT GOOD and generally is connected to liver dysfuncion.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep, eat way more on cycle then stop eating once my cycle is over then complain about how I can't keep any gains post cycle.

Maybe you should just follow your tdee and eat according to goals on and off cycle....

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yep, eat way more on cycle then stop eating once my cycle is over then complain about how I can't keep any gains post cycle.

Maybe you should just follow your tdee and eat according to goals on and off cycle....
Now we're talking. I like how people want to pretend the rules change for people on gear vs natty lifters.

Not really folks. More flexibility on the diet, sure, to some extent. On a path to 5% BF though, and no slip ups are permitted, gear or not.

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
You shouldn't change anything other than adding in your cycle. Your diet/training/lifestyle should all be dialed in before cycling anything.