How often do you work out on cycle?

Johnnyj

Awards
I'm curious to know how often you work out when you're running a bulk cycle with heavier weights. I've had tendonitis and rotator cuff problems for a while. My entire right arm is shot right now though. The body recovers faster on cycle and can obviously push more weight, therefore I haven't been taking breaks but make sure to give muscles 72 hours to recover. Perhaps I do need rest days? :/

heyboy

Banned
Awards
All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.

i dont use drugs and i train 5-6days a week

Johnnyj

Awards
From what I've gathered before too, is 5 days seems to be the sweet spot

Johnnyj

Awards
Part of it is stress reduction while giving me something to look forward to as well...my day practically revolves around going

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
What is your cycle?

Johnnyj

Awards
DMZ 3.0 4 weeks running Test E for 9 weeks. DMZ in the beginning

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
All the seven deadly sins are man's true nature. To be greedy. To be hateful. To have lust. Of course, you have to control them, but if you're made to feel guilty for being human, then you're going to be trapped in a never-ending sin-and-repent cycle that you can't escape from.

i dont use drugs and i train 5-6days a week
For someone who doesn't use drugs, you sure do like to post in a steroid forum a lot, and your holier-than-thou attitude about it only makes you look pathetic.

Reactions: Nac

heyboy

Banned
Awards
For someone who doesn't use drugs, you sure do like to post in a steroid forum a lot, and your holier-than-thou attitude about it only makes you look pathetic.
To be honest, I think bananas are a pathetic fruit.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't be on cycle if I had so many issues. Maybe get some peptides, see a physician, get it cleared up first.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Don't mind him. He's just the current forum idiot. Just ignore him.

Johnnyj

Awards
Haha there's always one guy. I've seen the doctor about it before. They had me on Motrin 800 and Naproxen 550. I'm not looking to use NSAIDS currently for obvious reasons. From the reading I did, some articles offered burnout sets with low weight to maximize movement. It felt better today and still had great pumps. For future reference after this clears up, I'm wondering if I should cut down to 5 days in the gym...or possibly less?

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Make sure it is actually tendonitis and not in fact tendinosis.

wrxwhit

wrxwhit

Banned
Awards
  • Established
3 days destroy mode 4 days repair works for me and my only choice.

Johnnyj

Awards
I came across the two in a few articles. I didn't know the difference. But from reading the symptoms, it points to tendonitis. I have more of an athletic job so it would be wise to stay away from bulking and work on endurance. When I say bulk, it's no where near the bulk of others haha. When you "destroy", are you implying minimal reps and heavy weight?

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
TB -500?? I feel like maybe look into that. Or don't cycle until you get your medical issues taken care of

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
3 days destroy mode 4 days repair works for me and my only choice.
Inverse of that works too, absolutely wreck yourself for 4 days and spend 3 recovering. 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on 1 off, throw in an extra leg/accessory day every now and then and you're good to go

Last edited:
AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't miss a single day of training on cycle, but my joints probably aren't as bad as yours. I'd stay away from strong orals if you plan on using NSAIDs while on cycle.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Inverse of that works too, absolutely wreck yourself for 4 days and spend 3 recovering. 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on 1 off, throw in an extra leg/accessory day every now and then and you're good to go
This

Allows for everything to be hit with variation in a given week. Alternate between strength and hypertrophy for best results. Never neglect one in the name of the other.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
For bulking specifically, I've gotten the best results on cycle going low and slow 8 second reps, keeping the reps over 10 (aim for 12) and over 6 sets per exercise. I isolate one body part a day (push-pull) and usually do 5 days a week.

I've tried both long and short rests in between sets, and I tend to do better on longer rests in between sets. I've had pros argue this with me (to rest less) but I just don't feel the nervous system recovers fast enough to give it 100% if you don't rest long enough in between sets. Maybe they've achieved something at their level I'm not aware of, maybe there's some benefit to training before you fully recover (new articles on this), but that's what works best for me. Experimenting with resting less but I'm not on cycle right now. I think Trest is in my lineup next. Always a work-in-progress.

heyboy

Banned
Awards
I've tried both long and short rests in between sets, and I tend to do better on longer rests in between sets. I've had pros argue this with me (to rest less) but I just don't feel the nervous system recovers fast enough to give it 100% if you don't rest long enough in between sets. Maybe they've achieved something at their level I'm not aware of, maybe there's some benefit to training before you fully recover (new articles on this), but that's what works best for me. Experimenting with resting less but I'm not on cycle right now. I think Trest is in my lineup next. Always work in progress.

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
I've tried both long and short rests in between sets, and I tend to do better on longer rests in between sets. I've had pros argue this with me (to rest less) but I just don't feel the nervous system recovers fast enough to give it 100% if you don't rest long enough in between sets. Maybe they've achieved something at their level I'm not aware of, maybe there's some benefit to training before you fully recover (new articles on this), but that's what works best for me. Experimenting with resting less but I'm not on cycle right now. I think Trest is in my lineup next. Always work in progress.
454 posts and you haven't contributed once to this forum. Don't you have better things to do?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've tried both long and short rests in between sets, and I tend to do better on longer rests in between sets. I've had pros argue this with me (to rest less) but I just don't feel the nervous system recovers fast enough to give it 100% if you don't rest long enough in between sets. Maybe they've achieved something at their level I'm not aware of
Probably the fact that fatigue is a crucial variable with hypertrophy. As in, crudely, strength training you want to avoid it, hypertrophy you want to accumulate it and adapt to it.

Look at stuff like rest-pause, compound sets, etc.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
Probably the fact that fatigue is a crucial variable in hypertrophy. As in, crudely, strength training you want to avoid it, hypertrophy you want to accumulate it and adapt to it.
That's how it was explained. Definitely need longer rest in between sets for strength training. But for size (hypertrophy) training through fatigue just never feels like I can give it 100%, but again maybe that's the point. So this is my thinking, do I rest for 1 minute and get 8 reps at 90% or do I rest for 5 minutes and get the full 12 at almost 100%. Obviously I could drop the weight, but I'm still pushing more intense volume after a longer rest.

For now, off-cycle, I get better results with longer rest and recovery in between sets, even for bulking, but still experimenting. Just too used to strength training I suppose. I agree with what you're saying though, gotta figure out how to get the results.

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
I'm glad you guys agree with 3/4. I mix it some weeks 3 some weeks 4 but I thought I was the only person that responded better from high intensity lots of rest. Even though my gainz are better I always feel guilty of being lazy.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's how it was explained. Definitely need longer rest in between sets for strength training. But for size (hypertrophy) training through fatigue just never feels like I can give it 100%, but again maybe that's the point. So this is my thinking, do I rest for 1 minute and get 8 reps at 90% or do I rest for 5 minutes and get the full 12 at almost 100%. Obviously I could drop the weight, but I'm still pushing more intense volume after a longer rest.

For now, off-cycle, I get better results with longer rest and recovery in between sets, even for bulking, but still experimenting. Just too used to strength training I suppose. I agree with what you're saying though, gotta figure out how to get the results.
Yeah, well theres lots of ways to induce fatigue. How you go about that is obviously up to you and what you find most effective.

But end of the day, hypertrophy is about balancing fatigue + load. Sorta like secks.

Johnnyj

Awards
I saw another doc and it's looking like it's neuropathy in my arm. Everything points to it including pinky going numb. It throws a wrench in a lot when your job depends on physical activity. If I can go, I'll opt for surgery ASAP. I appreciate the input. You guys have offered a lot

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Surgery wont correct neuropathy. This is a generic diagnosis or rough explanation for your symptoms that goes no further than your forum posts. I certainly hope your doctor didn't say "yup neuropathy, let's cut"

SwoleNation

SwoleNation

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4-5 days on. Volume train, high reps (Hypertrophy) while on... Strength train, low reps during pct.

FRITZBLITZ

FRITZBLITZ

Banned
Awards
4-5 days on. Volume train, high reps (Hypertrophy) while on... Strength train, low reps during pct.
Exactly what works best for me ^^^^ I'm just bit lazy and do 3&4 days on. Great mention of PCT, I feel mentally better pushing high weight with rests rather than superseting beast mode while already drained.

Johnnyj

Awards
celc5 - tendonitis has been the quick diagnosis and the quick fix was naproxen 550 and Motrin 800 everyday. I'll go ahead and trust him on this one. Symptoms have been going on for years, and after he explained it to me, and reading more in depth, everything is spot on. Not all docs are bad and retarded.

Johnnyj

Awards
Had to revisit. So more **** came up. After seeing a few docs, they both are saying I have Ulnar Neurapathy. It's to the point where I can barely hold a water bottle. I laid off the gym with very minimal workouts, ended up turning to NSAIDS, which didn't do much so I stopped those. Should I continue the Test E or stop and follow up with PCT?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ulnar neuropathy is a very specific diagnosis. You should try therapy for 3-6 weeks. If that doesnt resolve your symptoms, an ulnar nerve release is a very plausible surgical intervention. Like I said before, none of the previous diagnosis were clear. This one is very specific and likely treatable.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dorian Yates on Joe Rogan Podcast just said throughout his career he found the best results with 45-50 minute intense workouts, 4 days per week. Not what I would have thought from that level of bodybuilder on that much gear. But just furthers the notion of rest/recovery for growth. But the key is intensity.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dorian Yates on Joe Rogan Podcast just said throughout his career he found the best results with 45-50 minute intense workouts, 4 days per week. Not what I would have thought from that level of bodybuilder on that much gear. But just furthers the notion of rest/recovery for growth. But the key is intensity.
Have you seen any of his training sessions with Leroy Davis? Id probably only need 20min sessions with someone yelling and pushing me like that lol

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you seen any of his training sessions with Leroy Davis? Id probably only need 20min sessions with someone yelling and pushing me like that lol
I just went and watched a few. No doubt dude was in his face!!

Listening to this interview more man, Dorian is cool af and a really smart guy with some great insight. Recommended listen for sure.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just went and watched a few. No doubt dude was in his face!!

Listening to this interview more man, Dorian is cool af and a really smart guy with some great insight. Recommended listen for sure.
I like DY from what Ive seen, too. Seems much more a thinker-type than say someone like Coleman lol (though I still enjoy his approach).

Even though DY always officially denied it, rumour was he utilised the AAS protocols of a Paul Borresen. At least at some point. Dunno if youve come across this guy, but his nickname was "the nutty professor". His blasts were short but EXTREME. There was obviously some method to the madness, and from what Ive read he seems pretty onto it.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And he said he couldn't sit or walk for 4-5 days after training legs. Intensity!

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Paul Borresen. Dunno if youve come across this guy, but his nickname was "the nutty professor". His blasts were short but EXTREME
Yeah, I've sometimes wondered what it must feel like to run a 15-30 day cycle using a gram (or more) per day; an oil-filled pin cushion, among other things. Also had some interesting thoughts on histamine suppression.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmm, after watching the Rogan interview....who knows what DY actually ran during his competitive career. Part of me thinks meh who cares. And for all his talk of being transparent and pushing for truth (generally), he knows people will copy him. He even said as much. Im sure that basic cycle he specified was maybe his bread and butter, but only he knows if he ever did at least experiment with other stuff (other than slin) or "extreme" doses.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm, after watching the Rogan interview....who knows what DY actually ran during his competitive career. Part of me thinks meh who cares. And for all his talk of being transparent and pushing for truth (generally), he knows people will copy him. He even said as much. Im sure that basic cycle he specified was maybe his bread and butter, but only he knows if he ever did at least experiment with other stuff (other than slin) or "extreme" doses.
He was pretty firm on the 1g of Test with Deca, Dbol and HGH. It's hard to say, he was massive and so freaking thick. But he said over and over that normal gym goers use way more than he did and don't get anywhere near the results. Emphasized genetics and work ethic, and that's completely believable. If a ton of gear made every hardworking gym goer stage worthy, they would be all over the place. And obviously they're not. A good dose of a few compounds, intense training, genetics, and living the lifestyle to a T is what got him there. Based on his personality and the other topics in the conversation I find him believable. I tend to believe people of his nature more so, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm just fulfilling my own confirmation bias in that opinion, so...

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For sure, and I agree with that too. And thats why a big part of me is meh at the actual numbers. Who really cares. I like what you wrote in another thread: you know what works for you given your goals. You know what you have to take, are prepared to take. Would my own cycling change cos of what DY took? Lol hell no.