PH and college level baseball

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey all,

I'm currently looking into doing a PH cycle to help with athletics. I play college level baseball as a pitcher. I've just had enough of the genetic freaks who are lazy but still out preform me even though I work harder. /end rant.

Anyways, this would be my first PH cycle, and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations? I'm leaning towards Epi as a solo to try for a 6 week cycle. Anyone have experience/recommendations?

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
As a pitcher???

What particular edge are you looking for here?

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looking for added strength and recovery. That's the reason I'm leaning towards Epi instead of something like 1ad. Do you think it wouldn't really help? Pitchers are kind of the exception to most sports, because size=/= always better. But the explosive power can make all the difference.

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
I could see increasing leg strength and endurance work, but not to the point of justifying taking any type of PH.

The last thing I would screw with as a pitcher though is any sort of muscle/tendon imbalance in the upper body. Flexibility, rotator health, and arm strength (built through mainly long toss, which I'm sure you are already aware of) is whats going to make or break you.

Reactions: Nac
Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OP you need to consider the wider repurcussions of going this route, especially at your age. Swallowing some pills is the easy part.

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for your feedback. It's nice to see someone who actually knows a thing about pitcher training on the forum. Are you a big ball player yourself?

I see your point. My thinking was epi affects strength and is also good for fat loss and I would be leaner+stronger, and would have the potential to get down the mound faster without getting a ton bigger. My throwing program wouldn't change a whole bunch, because like you mentioned gotta take care of that cuff and the elbow and PH wouldn't help a ton with ligament tendon recovery
Would there be something that would help more with the ability to generate explosivness, or am I looking for something that doesn't exsist?

I also made this thread as a place for future people looking, because i found very little info on PH for baseball pitchers. Thanks for you feedback

SouthPawSD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
OP you need to consider the wider repurcussions of going this route, especially at your age. Swallowing some pills is the easy part.
I know what you mean, which is why I came here for advice. Even if I got really good feedback that I should do it, it is cheating after all, not to mention the health effects.

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
I know what you mean, which is why I came here for advice. Even if I got really good feedback that I should do it, it is cheating after all, not to mention the health effects.
And also you need to consider that you probably won't ever again be happy with what you are able to do off cycle. Even if its way more than before cycle if it works out fine, you will always want to get that on cycle feeling again, you will want to experience all the different compounds and if you are on you will never want to get off again.

Actually thats the part I somehow missed when starting to cycle. Now I'm kind of AnabolicAddicted ;)

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
Yea, I played semi-pro up until I was 30. I wasn't a pitcher though.

I was also in the fitness industry during that timespan, and had a good amount of experience with sport specific training.

Perfect example of what can happen: My final year playing I was training in the gym doing rope hammer curls on the cable and felt a "pop" in my right forearm. Minimal pain until I hit the field. Started throwing and out of nowhere had very little control where I was throwing and felt a dull pain in the inner elbow/forearm that started intensifying the more I attempted. The pain eventually got to the point it made me nauseous and I don't get that way easy.

Went to the doc and sure enough, I blew a ligament right at the elbow/inner forearm area that would have required surgery, had I chose to continue playing. So thats when I hung it up.

And thats a perfect example of why you have to be extra cautious in your situation.

By taking PH's you are creating the environment to demand your body to do things it normally could not tolerate, and that's when injuries occur, let alone all of the other risks you would encounter without even playing a sport.

So you have to ask yourself, are those risks worth the extra 1-2 MPH on your fastball? Will you even gain 1-2 MPH on your fastball?

Fact is, you could LOSE some ROM in your throwing arm from a safe and effective PH run and lose velocity. Who knows.

If I were you, I'd be focusing more on fine tuning your offspeeds or perfecting a "different look" via arm angle or delivery method if you are not doing so already.

Also, keep in mind. You are a baseball player. Baseball players don't have to be athletes to make the HOF. Not all athletes have the gift to be able to hit a ball at 90 mph or have the knowledge or precision a pitcher has to strike someone out.

You are a different breed of "sport".

So just be careful OP

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
Throwing in my 2 cents...

Are you talking about Epi Andro or Epistane?

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
Forgot about there being two refered to as Epi my bad. I was thinking of epiandro
Oh. Ok. Epiandro is a way more solid choice for most athletics in my opinion.
Just guessed it must be Epistane as one usually does not think of running something like epiandro solo.

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you will see much with an EpiAndro solo run, but if you are going to give it a shot, then I would run it at no less than 1000mg. I would go with at least 1200 if it was me.