Alternatives to Taurine?

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
I ordered some taurine last week for back pumps and for whatever reason it is taking forever to get here. Are there any other remedies for back pumps that I could try until my taurine arrives? After doing deads today it took me 15 minutes to unload the bar because of the pump and I'm starting to hate deadlifts, my favorite lift.

dmxinc

Awards
I am not sure if this will help, but when I race motocross, I sometimes get forearm pump. When I use magnesium and potassium, it helps to alleviate the pumps before my next heat race. (about 1-2hrs. later) It might help. Good luck.

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
If you're on SD, get used to it. It'll take 3 weeks before they go away after you're off the SD.

Nathan1

Banned
Awards
I am not sure if this will help, but when I race motocross, I sometimes get forearm pump. When I use magnesium and potassium, it helps to alleviate the pumps before my next heat race. (about 1-2hrs. later) It might help. Good luck.
2nd the potassium....hence the reason i've heard eatin a couple bananas when it gets bad can really help with the pumps.

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the bananas a try and see how that works out.

Homerjay

Awards
you can pick up a potassium supp. I got away w/ using just potassium on a clen cyle. I don't know if the pumps are worse w/ SD.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I was always under the impression that taurine increased pumps, but helped alleviate cramping? I would reconsider using it for what you intended. Instead, I'd give potassium a try like the others suggested.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Taurine does work, 3-5 grams worth a day. Potassium supps are under dosed thanks to big pharma, I would get potassium chloride from the store (sold as a salt substitue).

Striate

Awards
Taurine does work, 3-5 grams worth a day. Potassium supps are under dosed thanks to big pharma, I would get potassium chloride from the store (sold as a salt substitue).
Do you recommend a taurine powder...which brand is best?

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used taurine throughout my SD cycle, and it didn't do anything for me to alleviate the lower back pumps. I had two weeks of lower back pumps to contend with after the cycle was over as well.

I did rack deadlifts instead of full deads during my cycle, as these don't tend to hit my lower back nearly as hard. Squats, on the other hand, were damn near unbearable throughout the cycle.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It seems to depend on the person, I have had some luck with it. I also mega-dose potassium however.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Taurine will help, as will potassium. It won't get rid of the most extreme lower back pumps if your on 'strong' enough compounds but it still seems to help. I second the salt substitute (potassium chloride ie. Nosalt) as a source of potassium. Has helped me tremendously. Also be careful of vasoconstrictors like ephedrine.....makes my legs really crap up bad when ON.

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
I finally broke down and stopped at a supplement store on the way to the gym yesterday to pick up some taurine. I couldn't bear the thought of another day of deads with back pumps. I was amazed at how much better I felt working back as opposed to the last week or so where I could barely walk out of the gym.

PriTyan

Awards
I’ve read that taurine also has some positive effects on lipids. Is this True?

DuiLee

Banned
Awards
I bought NOW brand taurine. It was $7 for 100 500mg capsules. Well worth it in my opinion. I felt like I was tearing every muscle in my lower back every time I did deads. It would literally take me 15 minutes to unload the bar afterwards and my back would start to hurt if I stood for too long. I still feel sore in my lower back but nothing like before.

bigman420

Awards
i always leave the weights on the bar so i can get the best pump ever, then finish workout, drink shake, then go pick up...but thats because my gym has 3 power racks so they said i could