(Rat study) Taurine normalizes T levels in rats given Deca

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
For those of you running cycles, interesting article I came across while looking for ways to manage low test. Supposedly taurine may stimulate GnRH release as well as exert a protective (antioxidant effect) in the testicles. Could be useful while on gear:

A new study shows some interesting benefits of taurine that could be specific to the user of anabolics. Rats were given nandrolone decanoate (deca) alone, or nandrolone with taurine for 8 weeks (and placebo only, and taurine only). The result was that taurine reversed several significant nandrolone induced side effects. The most important being that it normalized testosterone levels while taking nandrolone. In addition it prevented changes in sperm characteristics and in key steroid forming enzymes.
Patrick Arnold » Taurine and Anabolics

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm not gonna accept this due to the fact that they missed something so critical, telling us the dose... study is practically pointless without dosage info

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
100mg/kg

220 pound or 100kg man's dose = 10g of taurine

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To achieve this aim, male Wistar rats were randomly distributed into four groups and administered either vehicle, nandrolone decanoate (10mg/kg/week, I.M.), taurine (100mg/kg/day, p.o.) or combination of taurine and nandrolone decanoate, for 8 successive weeks.
This would require a correction in that case.
Someone check this. Then the HED would be16mg/kg; therefore 1.6g for a 220 pound man.

Amelioration of nandrolone decanoate-induced testicular and sperm toxicity in rats by taurine: effects on steroidogenesis, redox and inflammatory cascades, and intrinsic apoptotic pathway.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25542992#

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Charles paliquin (spelling might be off) had a article relating to this years ago, if you Google taurine testosterone it will pop up, not saying it's proof but it's also not a new theory either. Gonna go do some searching for more studies

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Taurine Doubles Testosterone in Diabetic Rats
Taurine doubles testosterone production in diabetic rats

The reason I am addressing this again is the recent publication of a study on the beneficial effects of supplemental taurine, administered at a dose of 500mg/kg (human equivalent: 80mg/kg, or 3-4g /day) on the following diabetes related ailments:

• wasting (loss of body weight),
  • testicular damage,
  • defect spermatogenesis,
  • systemic oxidative damage,
  • DNA damage,
  • loss of natural antioxidant defense,
  • low testosterone
Suppversity
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/07/up-to-180-increase-in-testosterone-w.html

Then there is also this:
Two studies have shown taurine supplementation to increase testosterone in otherwise healthy rats, no current human studies with similar design; one human study showing no effects of 1,500mg taurine acutely with other ingredient confounds..
It does show a dose of 1.5 grams whereas the above study related to a heftier dose of 3 to 4 grams.

Examine.com
https://examine.com/supplements/taurine/#summary7-0

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
IIRC the diabetic rats in that study had pretty low test levels but the positive effect by taurine is still encouraging. Personally, the idea that taurine brought testosterone levels into the normal range for rats on deca and improved other markers is pretty impressive

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Results from this study and previous are simply too good for me to believe.

Mmajunkie13

Mmajunkie13

Awards
Then there is also this:

"Two studies have shown taurine supplementation to increase testosterone in otherwise healthy rats, no current human studies with similar design; one human study showing no effects of 1,500mg taurine acutely with other ingredient confounds..
It does show a dose of 1.5 grams whereas the above study related to a heftier dose of 3 to 4 grams."

this is why i hate these studies that seem to be financially backed by the big pharmas. All their test are ran at low dosage compared to the much higher dosages that showed promise in the first place, so all their results are inconclusive because the dosages they test are not high enough to see significant change. this could be a healthier answer to a lot of issues peope have but they will never know unless they try it themselves.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Then there is also this:

"Two studies have shown taurine supplementation to increase testosterone in otherwise healthy rats, no current human studies with similar design; one human study showing no effects of 1,500mg taurine acutely with other ingredient confounds..
It does show a dose of 1.5 grams whereas the above study related to a heftier dose of 3 to 4 grams."

this is why i hate these studies that seem to be financially backed by the big pharmas. All their test are ran at low dosage compared to the much higher dosages that showed promise in the first place, so all their results are inconclusive because the dosages they test are not high enough to see significant change. this could be a healthier answer to a lot of issues peope have but they will never know unless they try it themselves.

Additionally, with that human study, they only gave participants one dose of 1,500mg taurine in the formulation, and measured t concentrations afterwards.

I think it's reasonable to suppose that if taurine did increase testosterone in humans, it not only might take a larger dose, but also a longer period of time (daily dosing for a few weeks) potentially.

The formulation (Amino Shooter) in that study also used 19g BCAAs, which supposedly increase testosterone after exercise, but that didn't occur either.

Here is a study that shows that BCAA's did increase testosterone after exercise, after being given daily for several weeks straight, rather than single dose:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20300014

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm gonna eat the rat with taurine and see what happens. Rat on a stick in asia was mighty tasty.