Verdict on DHEA?

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts and experiences are regarding DHEA supplementation and its effects on testosterone, FT, IGF-1, etc. The research seems to be rather scattered. One study shows no effects across all subjects, another says estradiol levels increased, then another will say FT increased, and so on. I personally think that if one has normal DHEA-S levels, that additional DHEA supplementation will likely not be beneficial, however if one is deficient in DHEA-S, then supplementing could quite possibly serve some benefit towards improving the male androgenic hormone milieu. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what it does to my hormone levels, but I played around with it for a while and I find that 25mg eod help me to get some decent strength gains, etc. without any sides. Cheap as chips also and as I get more out of it than most other products that I have used, I will continue to take it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it is very beneficial to those of us on trt!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Do you have documented low DHEA-S levels? If you don't mind me asking
YOU MUST BE KIDDING...I go thru the VA, no frills like that, lol. do some research on trt and dhea...

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I almost posted on this very same topic today as it is very confusing. It is said that men over 40 may benefit from 25 mg daily of oral DHEA, yet it is also known that DHEA is not particularly orally bioavailable and is optimally absorbed in a transdermal preparation. Great. So then you look at OL Super-DHEA and it gives warnings about suppression. I think Dermacrine also used to say that it should be used no longer than 8 weeks and there was always debate about if running that in PCT would be suppressive.

Does anyone know the truth about DHEA...oral and transdermal for someone 40+ who is not on TRT?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think companies will always overstate the potential for suppression, for what I take to be relatively obvious reasons. Cos bottom line, 99% of users will not run any bloodwork whatsoever.

Anvil72

Awards
The way I understand it, dhea is the master hormone all hormones from estro to test are made from in the body. I used dermacrine on my chest and shoulders and the difference was great. They said the enzymes present in the skin on the shoulders facilitate the dhea conversion into the sub hormones, good and bad. They had blockers for the estro that is created in conversion. It is just too bad they are getting out of the topical dhea business, at least I think that is what I read. My 60 year old neighbor used it solely for hrt, nothing else.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's orally bioavailable, inexpensive and a good addition to TRT.
I have added it with Pregnenolone.

"Morales AJ, Nolan JJ, Nelson JC et al. Effects of replacement dose of dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of advancing age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994; 78:1360-7.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial, 30 patients ages 40-70 years were given 50 mg of DHEA orally daily. Within two weeks, this dose restored serum DHEA levels in both men and women to those found in young adults."

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
It's orally bioavailable, inexpensive and a good addition to TRT.
I have added it with Pregnenolone.

"Morales AJ, Nolan JJ, Nelson JC et al. Effects of replacement dose of dehydroepiandrosterone in men and women of advancing age. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1994; 78:1360-7.

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial, 30 patients ages 40-70 years were given 50 mg of DHEA orally daily. Within two weeks, this dose restored serum DHEA levels in both men and women to those found in young adults."
Okay and how did the dhea convert to T and E?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Okay and how did the dhea convert to T and E?
I'm not sure I care. It has so many other benefits in aging adults and I am on TRT.
The original posters position was concerned with testosterone and estradiol, but also stated this "... if one is deficient in DHEA-S, then supplementing could quite possibly serve some benefit towards improving the male androgenic hormone milieu. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts."

Younger people probably should be avoiding DHEA unless deficient.
"People under 40 shouldn't take DHEA unless they have low levels as determined by their doctors. People taking DHEA should have their blood levels checked every 6 months. Very few studies have been done on the long-term safety of DHEA."

"The most abundant human steroids, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and its sulfate ester DHEAS, may have a multitude of beneficial effects, but decline with age. DHEA possibly prevents immunosenescence, and as a neuroactive steroid it may influence processes of cognition and memory. Epidemiological studies revealed an inverse correlation between DHEAS levels and the incidence of cardiovascular disease in men, but not in women. To define a suitable dose for DHEA substitution in elderly men we studied pharmacokinetics and biotransformation of orally administered DHEA in 14 healthy male volunteers (mean age, 58.8 ± 5.1 yr; mean body mass index, 25.5 ± 1.5 kg/m2) with serum DHEAS concentrations below 4.1 μmol/L (1500 ng/mL). Diurnal blood sampling was performed on 3 occasions in a single dose, randomized, cross-over design (oral administration of placebo, 50 mg DHEA, or 100 mg DHEA). The intake of 50 mg DHEA led to an increase in serum DHEAS to mean levels of young adult men, whereas 100 mg DHEA induced supraphysiological concentrations [placebo vs. 50 mg DHEA vs. 100 mg DHEA; area under the curve (AUC) 0–12 h (mean ± sd) for DHEA, 108 ± 22 vs. 252 ± 45 vs. 349 ± 72 nmol/L·h; AUC 0–12 h for DHEAS, 33 ± 9 vs. 114 ±. 19 vs. 164± 36 μmol/L·h]. Serum testosterone and dihydrotestosterone remained unchanged after DHEA administration. In contrast, 17β-estradiol and estrone significantly increased in a dose-dependent manner to concentrations still within the upper normal range for men[ placebo vs. 50 mg DHEA vs. 100 mg DHEA; AUC 0–12 h for 17β-estradiol, 510 ± 198 vs. 635 ± 156 vs. 700 ± 209 pmol/L·h (P < 0.0001); AUC 0–12 h for estrone, 1443 ± 269 vs. 2537 ± 434 vs. 3254 ± 671 pmol/L·h (P< 0.0001)]. In conclusion, 50 mg DHEA seems to be a suitable substitution dose in elderly men, as it leads to serum DHEAS concentrations usually measured in young healthy adults. The DHEA-induced increase in circulating estrogens may contribute to beneficial effects of DHEA in men." 3

Resources or Further Reading
Dehydroepiandrosterone: University of Maryland Medical Center
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/dehydroepiandrosterone

Ample Evidence: Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Conversion into Activated Steroid Hormones Occurs in Adrenal and Ovary in Female Rat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4427309/

3Oxford Academic: JCEM The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-abstract/84/6/2170/2864736/Biotransformation-of-Oral-Dehydroepiandrosterone?redirectedFrom=fulltext

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
justhere4comm nice read.

I think that if you are going to supplement you should determine if you actually need it. That should be the rule for any vitamin or mineral supplement you take. Not cost effective in those cases, but for something like DHEA that can aromatize, testing should definitely be done to see what if anything is out of whack first. Even then I would seek out a naturopath or someone for guidance on how to optimize everything.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
justhere4comm nice read.

I think that if you are going to supplement you should determine if you actually need it. That should be the rule for any vitamin or mineral supplement you take. Not cost effective in those cases, but for something like DHEA that can aromatize, testing should definitely be done to see what if anything is out of whack first. Even then I would seek out a naturopath or someone for guidance on how to optimize everything.
Yes sir. I don't think anyone should be taking DHEA specifically or anything hormonal without really needed it for HRT / TRT due to age. The long term effects of DHEA is not known, and is not well studied enough. Anyone who disagrees with this is trying to sell you something. There are tried and true methods of growing a better physique.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you dont mind the format, below is a link to a powerpoint presentation John Crisler did on DHEA/Pregnenolone/7keto supplementation. Its obviously one-sided but LOTS of benefits and studies cited:

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/DheaPregMelatonin.ppt
Really great information, but some of those slides were strange. The damaged car; dogs with bad teeth; cat and sunset / sunrise were just weird.
That said, I enjoyed reading some of those details and will look into the further reading on the subject matter. Thank you for sharing it.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol I know, when I saw them I thought they prolly had subliminal messages hidden in them. Or Crislers kids were pranking him.

K21

Awards
can a dose of dhea given to a man that provides a natural level range of dhea levels get you caught in tested sports? just curious?