PHs and hair loss - I don't get it

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand the science behind PHs and hair loss. If I run a PH cycle I'd like to take precautions to minimize hair loss, but I don't exactly understand what causes the hair loss. I thought it was just the additional DHT but that seems to not be the case as many people who have used PHs that don't convert to DHT have hair loss. So the logic is...

If 1-DHEA converts to 1-testosterone which doesn't convert to DHT then it wouldn't be an uptick in DHT that would lead to hair loss. However, people have experienced hair loss on this.

If we take it a step further and look at 19norDHEA it gets even more complicated. From what I've read, nandrolone is a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor and converts to DHN, which is much weaker than DHT. So, on paper, if one was to use nandrolone, then it would act as a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, which would block DHT, and also shut down natural test production, which would also lower production that could cause hair loss. Basically, I'm saying that "in theory" nandrolone could possibly stop hair loss - but that's a crazy statement because it doesn't. Everyone knows it speeds up hair loss. So, my question is.... what am I missing? I know I'm missing something obvious that is going to make me probably look stupid, but I don't know what it is.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
But if you use a compound that has a higher binding affinity for the AR you are booting off and putting more testosterone into circulation hence more of it aromatizing and also converting via 5 a reductase to dht

anabolicgainz

Banned
Awards
But if you use a compound that has a higher binding affinity for the AR you are booting off and putting more testosterone into circulation hence more of it aromatizing and also converting via 5 a reductase to dht
finally someone realizes its not just the hormone youre putting in but that hormones effects on your own endogenous hormones and its ability to displace them from receptors, it's a system and how that eludes some people eludes me. Hey at least you know. :)

Bunshichi

Awards
  • Established
So by following that and with a shutdown we can postulate a hair loss stop a few weeks in cycle...

I do not see this happen however, unless there is no more hair to shed.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I'm still confused though. If you ran nandrolone it would convert to DHN via 5-AR which is a significantly weaker androgenic than DHT. So, if someone used nandrolone would they would have a high level of DHN but low level of DHT? And since DHN binds very weakly to the AR it would seem like there would be less hair loss. I'm probably getting this wrong.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
How androgenic or anabolic or its androgenic/anabolic ratio of a compound doesn't really matter, it's more about binding affinity. Anything that has a higher binding affinity for the androgen receptor will displace your natural testosterone and put it into circulation where it can either aromatize or get reduced, all that matters is whether or not nandrolone has a higher binding affinity. Most PH/DS or exogenous steroids that give you the results you want are made to have as high a binding affinity as possible, so they are probably going to displace your natty testosterone. This is also why high tren/low test works, tren is going to out compete test in almost of your soft tissue and skeletal muscle, you only need the test because it fulfills other biological needs both as precursor to estrogen and dht and by acting on other site specific ARs in your brain, testes, skin and hair.
Bunshichi, the life cycle of a hair follicle is complicated exposure to DHT might not immediately result in shedding, it can take time to manifest so even after you are shut down and there is no more of your own testosterone to convert to DHT you can be losing hair because the signal was already sent and the those follicles received the genetic instruction to die weeks ago. But it is all dependent on how susceptible to MPB you are to begin with

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
How androgenic or anabolic or its androgenic/anabolic ratio of a compound doesn't really matter, it's more about binding affinity. Anything that has a higher binding affinity for the androgen receptor will displace your natural testosterone and put it into circulation where it can either aromatize or get reduced, all that matters is whether or not nandrolone has a higher binding affinity. Most PH/DS or exogenous steroids that give you the results you want are made to have as high a binding affinity as possible, so they are probably going to displace your natty testosterone. This is also why high tren/low test works, tren is going to out compete test in almost of your soft tissue and skeletal muscle, you only need the test because it fulfills other biological needs both as precursor to estrogen and dht and by acting on other site specific ARs in your brain, testes, skin and hair.
Bunshichi, the life cycle of a hair follicle is complicated exposure to DHT might not immediately result in shedding, it can take time to manifest so even after you are shut down and there is no more of your own testosterone to convert to DHT you can be losing hair because the signal was already sent and the those follicles received the genetic instruction to die weeks ago. But it is all dependent on how susceptible to MPB you are to begin with
So, if you choose PHs with low binding affinity (which I believe norDHEA and Halodrol are) then you would be better off from being exposed to hair loss? What are the effects of using finasteride while on PHs? I really don't think I'd feel comfortable running PHs until I jump on finasteride. I appreciate your help you seem to know a lot about this topic. Unfortunately, your knowledge and honesty is a real buzz kill.

phollet

Awards
Sorry for bringing this topic again, but 210LBS is also mine, I as planning to run the new halodrol from gaspari and was looking for in including a finasteride to avoid hairloss. What is your thoughts on this?

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm waiting for someone to suggest the obvious...

We don't really know what exactly causes hair loss other than it being hormonal, hereditary or from a busted immune system like Lyme's disease or chemotherapy...