Hair Thinning from OTC AI?

Daxter

Daxter

Awards
I was using the OTC AI to combat gyno after my GP refused to take any action, and yes, I have the ultrasound results, it is definitely gyno.
Gyno appeared approximately 1 month after the conclusion of PCT from a Trest/MSten cycle with Formestane as AI, with Nolva/Clomid PCT. Was also using low dose (10mg) mk-677 throughout for sleep benefits.
Had no issues with perceivable gyno during cycle or pct, but it should be noted that I am prone to storage of fat in the chest area.
By the time I had it tested, it was puffy and very tender, which I interpreted as indications that it was still reactive and growing.

Blood results prior to the ultrasound were:

Oestrodiol 141 Pmol/L (<150)
Progesterone 3 nmol/L (<3) (flagged as high)
Testosterone 21 nmol/L (10.0-33.0)
LH 7 IU/L (3-20)

The progesterone was the only test deemed to be outside of the normal range.

The AI appeared to stop the growth of the gyno, as the puffiness and tenderness subsided, although the there was no subsequent decrease in size. I was running it initially at the high recommended dose for a few weeks, at which point I perceived it to have stabilized the situation and reduced it to a half dose for maintenance. Total time of use was approximately 2 1/2 months.

I have noticed considerable hair thinning on the crown of my head, so I have subsequently stopped the OTC AI.

As far as I understand it, an elevation in DHT could cause these symptoms in someone genetically prone.

2 Questions:

1. Would an OTC AI be strong enough to cause a significant enough increase in DHT to cause these symptoms?
2. If this is related to an increase in DHT, will cessation of the AI be sufficient to decrease levels and reverse the thinning? or should I be taking more proactive steps ie Rogaine? I have some Finasteride on hand if it is really necessary, although I would rather stay away from anything hormonal if possible at this stage.

Also, I'm not naming the Brand of the AI as I don't want to scaremonger in case it is not in fact the cause of these symptoms, as we all know some people will read the first page, get bored before a conclusion is reached and then just assume the answer was yes and move on.

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have never seen an over the counter AI do sh!t to be honest.

The hairloss is probably from the Tren/Msten cycle. Hair follicles can take a while to react to hormonal changes depending on what phase the hair was in (anagen, telogen etc..). Its probably your cycle catching up to you. Hopefully you see the shedding stop and reverse itself but sometimes a cycle speeds up the process of hairloss permanently if your genetically prone. So if you would normally start losing hair at 28 and you did a cycle at 25 you could have sped up the process permanently. Not saying that is the case here but something to consider.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
I have never seen an over the counter AI do sh!t to be honest.

The hairloss is probably from the Tren/Msten cycle. Hair follicles can take a while to react to hormonal changes depending on what phase the hair was in (anagen, telogen etc..). Its probably your cycle catching up to you. Hopefully you see the shedding stop and reverse itself but sometimes a cycle speeds up the process of hairloss permanently if your genetically prone. So if you would normally start losing hair at 28 and you did a cycle at 25 you could have sped up the process permanently. Not saying that is the case here but something to consider.
This. Probably from your cycle. Some people think that hair would start shedding during cycle but that's not the case. Hair should start shedding after the cycle because it can take a while for the hair to fall out from the hormonal changes. I think I read it can take 3 months for your hair to start falling out from your cycle but I'd have to look for that.

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
You should have used a better AI with Trest and now you have gyno. What makes you think an inadequate AI is going to do anything for your gyno now?

You have two options for your gyno:
1. Run a Raloxifene and Exemestane regimen.
2. Have it surgically removed.

Only the second option will actually make it go away permanently, but it is also much more expensive.

Daxter

Daxter

Awards
User567 and 210LBS, thanks for the input guys, didn't think that it could have been the cycle but it does make sense after further consideration.

Mike, this is about my hair, not my gyno, I'm well aware of the options available to me at this point. The AI was all I had on hand at the time, and being based in Australia means that I don't have easy access to RC chems like ralox. As I said, it stopped the tenderness and the puffiness, so it clearly did do something. Regardless, I'm booked in to consult with a surgeon in April.

210LBS

Awards
  • Established
User567 and 210LBS, thanks for the input guys, didn't think that it could have been the cycle but it does make sense after further consideration.
No problem. Don't quote me but I believe I read that it can take time for DHT in the blood to scar the follicles and cause hairloss. That's why the worst of the hairloss from AAS can come post cycle. I've seen people complain of hairloss during cycle too so who knows.