Stop cycle? "Hammer Curl Injury"

Coolkat

Awards
I pulled some doing hammer curls. I heard a "pop". I finished my workout with some close-grip cable E-Z bar curls. It wqas sore a few weeks ago from doing E-Z bar "cheat curls" w/ 130#

The pain goes up from the wrist extensors to the side of my arm, not the biceps. How can I work around this? Just do what I can. I can create some intensity for growth?

Any sugestions for growth/ healing please.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
You basically have "tennis elbow" in layman's terms. You have sprained your brachialis. You need to see a physical therapist, ice it regularly, and not do anything that requires that you grip or stabilize weight (you can still bench, just use wrist straps). Back work may be ok in a week or two, but go light and focus on really using your back and not your biceps. Depending on how badly you've sprained it you could be "out" for up to 6 months...

jkaz182003

Banned
Awards
i did the same thing about 2 months ago and im still nursing it. i can't get away from the gym. i know its stupid, but i planned on taking a week off in a couple more weeks, so i'll just get through it until then

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You might still be able to do some palms up bicep work but definitely avoid anything hammer style or palms down like reverse curls.

Also, take this as a sign that your body is telling you to stop trying to pull such heavy ass weight with sloppy form. :nono: You're building muscle. Not stroking ego. There are plenty of ways to generate intensity without resorting to behavior like that. Especially at 46 yrs old.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Heavy cheat curls are a recipe for injury.

I have a bicept tendon injury from hammer curls and it is taking forever to heal. Heavy doses of flax and fish oil seem to help but if it's really sore you're going to have to lay off bi/shoulder work for a while.

Coolkat

Awards
Thanks for your replys. I think I can do cable E-Z bar curls and integrate some "intensity approaches". Any suggestions?
Anybody have experience with DSMO. Funny, I can still work forearms with less pain then biceps.

Coolkat

Awards
Both. I can use a "wrist roller w/ 35 lbs. and 45 lb. dumbell wrist curls. I just need to use my left hand to return the weight during the ecentric/return phase.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
My suggestion would be to lay off anything that aggravates it.

Sea223

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your replys. I think I can do cable E-Z bar curls and integrate some "intensity approaches". Any suggestions?
Anybody have experience with DSMO. Funny, I can still work forearms with less pain then biceps.
Try a little TUT. None of that jerky crap.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Drop sets and static holds are options too.

skinnybastard

Awards
Did the same thing toward the end of my cycle. Thought I could work though it but that was a baaad idea. First the right forearm was out of commission, then the left. So basically 4 months of injury total. Oh yeah, I was 40y/o at the time.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes the old folks have to learn the hard way. ;)

And BTW, :welcome: :wave: