Warning: Orals, Antacids, and elevated stroke/cardiovascular issues

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know many people here heavily use PPI's (antacids - proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole) while on a cycle of orals due to severe heartburn. This is a very very bad idea. There was a serious warning released about these drugs - they highly elevate the risk of stroke and cardiovascular issues, something that's already a big concern while on cycle. It's the worst time to be using these drugs.

Here's an article that I just saw about this:

Heartburn medications linked to higher risk of stroke - CNN.com

Not only do these types of antacids raise the risk of cardiovascular issues, but they cause major kidney stress.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Good Read.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes. Never touch them myself.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im permanently on nexium fml...

FaurckkMyronn

Awards
Im permanently on nexium fml...
Used to be on nexium 40mg everyday, started taking a probiotics pill daily instead after 1-2 months heartburn pretty much stopped. Ive been off nexium for about a year after being on it for 3-4.. Maybe once a month now I'll need to take an antacid but that's usually only if I eat something too spicy and it triggers my heartburn, might be worth giving it a shot

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Used to be on nexium 40mg everyday, started taking a probiotics pill daily instead after 1-2 months heartburn pretty much stopped. Ive been off nexium for about a year after being on it for 3-4.. Maybe once a month now I'll need to take an antacid but that's usually only if I eat something too spicy and it triggers my heartburn, might be worth giving it a shot
Were you on cycle though? On cycle makes a huge difference

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Well, really we need to know what those "lowest doses" were that saw no increase in risk of adverse events.

gagandugan

gagandugan

Awards
  • Established
Just like yates84, I am pretty much permanently on Prilosec. It does not have anything to do with cycling etc., it's just that at this point I can't function without a proton pump inhibitor. I would not be able to eat anything (except maybe bananas) and even drinking anything but water would give me heartburn. With Prilosec, I can live a pretty normal life and not be bothered by reflux at all.

About hamdysayed 's question: as far as I know, there are no natural remedies that will work 100% like these pills do. Maybe if I carried a bag of baking soda with me at all times and ate it 3-4 times a day... but that's just horrible and makes you bloated as hell. If someone has a solution I'd like to hear it, but I've tried many things, including flax seeds, and no, it does not help much at all.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
Have you guys tried Zantac? It's an H2 receptor blocker. I take it everyday. I eat spicy foods, drink a lot of coffee, and eat the majority of my calories at night before bed. It's a horrible combination for GERD but I'm stubborn. Zantac seems to help, with some occasional tums thrown in when needed.

gagandugan

gagandugan

Awards
  • Established
I started with Tums. Progressed to Zantac. Now it's Prilosec, and this one has been working for years.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
damn bruh be careful, any natural alternatives out there for heartburn etc?
My heartburn was not super serious but digestive enzymes really help.

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try rennie it's no where near as strong, it's basically chalk, bicarbonate of soda is great for heartburn too. As is aniseed...

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No I wasn't, just thought it was worth mentioning
Definitely worth a try man, appreciate it. On cycle heartburn seems to be unstoppable for me if I'm not on my nexium.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Have you guys tried Zantac? It's an H2 receptor blocker. I take it everyday. I eat spicy foods, drink a lot of coffee, and eat the majority of my calories at night before bed. It's a horrible combination for GERD but I'm stubborn. Zantac seems to help, with some occasional tums thrown in when needed.
I'm just like you diet wise and this is what I've been doing

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Definitely worth a try man, appreciate it. On cycle heartburn seems to be unstoppable for me if I'm not on my nexium.
On orals, I need about 6-8 omeprazoles per day to fight heartburn ;( Thinking of dropping orals completely now.

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
6-8? Jesus! I have 1 just for chile eating competitions and I don't even get ring sting the day after! And I mean eating Carolina reapers, the hottest chiles in the world! What's your diet like?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
6-8? Jesus! I have 1 just for chile eating competitions and I don't even get ring sting the day after! And I mean eating Carolina reapers, the hottest chiles in the world! What's your diet like?
I only need them on methyls. They really **** me up. Normally I'm fine with a couple tums at night if I eat close to bed, but orals/methyls really **** up my stomach. I used to take 2 every 4 hours or so on my last run of epistane/tren. Same when I take tbol. It's really bad. I'm waking up at night and dosing omeprazole a couple times too. I think I'm done with methyls. They never used to do that to me years ago.

On my last run, I was cutting and eating super clean. Same when on tbol.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The effect of chewing sugar-free gum on gastro-esophageal reflux.
Moazzez R1, Bartlett D, Anggiansah A.
Author information
Abstract
Regurgitated acid entering the mouth in gastro-esophageal reflux disease can cause dental erosion. Chewing gum could induce increased swallowing frequency, thus improving the clearance rate of reflux within the esophagus. The null hypothesis of this study was that chewing gum does not have any effect on the clearance of reflux from the distal esophagus. Thirty-one subjects presenting with symptoms of reflux were given a refluxogenic meal twice and were randomly selected to chew gum for half an hour after eating the meal. Esophageal pH was measured, and pH data were analyzed and compared during the postprandial periods for 2 hrs on the 2 occasions. The median (IQ range) values for the % time pH < 4 during the postprandial period without chewing gum were 5.7 (1.7-13.5) and, with chewing gum, 3.6 (0.3-7.3), respectively (p = 0.001). Chewing sugar-free gum for half an hour after a meal can reduce acidic postprandial esophageal reflux.

Note:do not use minty gums. Although peppermint is known for its soothing qualities, peppermint may inappropriately relax and open the lower esophageal sphincter. This can allow gastric acid to flow up into the esophagus. This may trigger symptoms of acid reflux.

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only need them on methyls. They really **** me up. Normally I'm fine with a couple tums at night if I eat close to bed, but orals/methyls really **** up my stomach. I used to take 2 every 4 hours or so on my last run of epistane/tren. Same when I take tbol. It's really bad. I'm waking up at night and dosing omeprazole a couple times too. I think I'm done with methyls. They never used to do that to me years ago.

On my last run, I was cutting and eating super clean. Same when on tbol.
good call bro, as I always think fuk gainz if u r not healthy to enjoy them

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The effect of chewing sugar-free gum on gastro-esophageal reflux.
Moazzez R1, Bartlett D, Anggiansah A.
Author information
Abstract
Regurgitated acid entering the mouth in gastro-esophageal reflux disease can cause dental erosion. Chewing gum could induce increased swallowing frequency, thus improving the clearance rate of reflux within the esophagus. The null hypothesis of this study was that chewing gum does not have any effect on the clearance of reflux from the distal esophagus. Thirty-one subjects presenting with symptoms of reflux were given a refluxogenic meal twice and were randomly selected to chew gum for half an hour after eating the meal. Esophageal pH was measured, and pH data were analyzed and compared during the postprandial periods for 2 hrs on the 2 occasions. The median (IQ range) values for the % time pH < 4 during the postprandial period without chewing gum were 5.7 (1.7-13.5) and, with chewing gum, 3.6 (0.3-7.3), respectively (p = 0.001). Chewing sugar-free gum for half an hour after a meal can reduce acidic postprandial esophageal reflux.

Note:do not use minty gums. Although peppermint is known for its soothing qualities, peppermint may inappropriately relax and open the lower esophageal sphincter. This can allow gastric acid to flow up into the esophagus. This may trigger symptoms of acid reflux.
So true! That's happened to me loads of times in the past