know if this is healthy, and if dhea should be cycled off ect...I assume
some answers, but I would love to know what some of you experts
think.

Ryanbodybuilder

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There's a DHEA thread that sites a study w/peeps using 1gm/day I believe. I think in the study, they lowered bodyfat, and kept the same weight (gained lean mass). That high a dose didn't mess with their hormone profiles much either. That's just ONE study though, and it's fairly old.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
imo 2 grams of dhea ed would be so pricey it wouldnt be close to worth it.

Storm

Awards
....plus who knows the side effects 2gms/ed will cause? imho..it's not worth the health risks to run it that high plus it's very costly unless you buy it in powder/bulk. On the other hand it's great as part of pct and perhaps of use in HRT and to boost the immune system....all of which is accomplished at much lower dosages...50-200mg/ed.

Regards,
Storm

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
All I know is thatr 200 mgs a day gave me the worst acne outbreak I've had in years so I can't imagine 2 grams. I bet it puts you in a pretty f'ing good mood though lol.

I'll wait for more ginneau pigs to post up on that. lol

SeaHawk22

Awards
I thought all DHEA did was incress estrogen in men, and had no benefit unless you were over 65 or post menaupausal women (sp?) I am intrigued if there is some benefit from it though I not saying I am right. Thats just what I have heard.

SeaHawk22

ryanbodybuilder

Awards
  • Established
me neither...but maybe i will try it out at 400mg ED or so

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Just have an AI ready if you dose high.

joshingyou

Awards
You know I actually saw an ad in a "popular men's magazine" selling this stuff at $78 for a bottle of 90 25mg. Do people actually fall for that?

paul e

Awards
imo 2 grams of dhea ed would be so pricey it wouldnt be close to worth it.
Pricey? I dont follow you.. 2 grams of Higher Power DHEA, in bottles with 100 caps x 2 grams only costs $19!!

How is this expensive? Thats less than 6 bucks a month.. I wish all my supps were this 'Pricey'. I thought 'pricey' meant 'expensive'.. how did you mean it?

paul e

Awards
u can get 2 gram dhea caps? where
Whoops.. Im an ass.. arithmetically challenged today.. For some reason i thought we were talking about 2000 mg = 2 grams.. Which is correct. But... like an idiot, i looked at my 100 mg caps, and thought 1000 mg caps. So, forget what I said... What a putz.. All I reallyl meant is, I get my Higher Power dhea caps from bb.com, for the prices i listed. Higher Power makes both 100mg caps and 200 mg caps. About 10% what were were talking about .. My bad.. Brain cramp... really sorry man... For the quantities you guys were saying, damn right, it IS damned pricey indeed!!

paul e

Awards
It's not crazy expensive, 1fast has it for a buck a gram, and BAC has it for $11.50/20gm. I don't think I'd run it at 2g/day though!
That BAC price is $.57/gram... thats Cheap... But please, who is BAC?? i want to order.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't know who said 1fast was $1 a gram. 75grams is $20 which is considerable less than a $1 a gram. Also I believe dr. D stated their purity was slightly better than BAC. I think they are the place to go with.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Now that Custom has DHEA, how about somebody give it a true high dose shot. Here's something neat I found:

Effects of Dehydroepiandrosterone and Alprazolam on Hypothalamic-Pituitary Responses to Exercise.

Deuster PA, Faraday MM, Chrousos GP, Poth MA.

Departments of Military and Emergency Medicine, Medical and Clinical Psychology, and Pediatrics, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences; Bethesda, MD 20814; Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child health and Human Development, Bethesda MD 20892.

Context: The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPA) is restrained by activation of gamma-amino-butyric acid (GABAA) receptors. Alprazolam (APZ) and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) are purported to be GABA agonists and antagonists, respectively. Objective: To examine the effects of APZ and DHEA alone and in combination on HPA axis activity. Design: Double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled study. Setting: General community. Participants: Males (n = 15) 20-45 yr with a BMI 20-25. Interventions: DHEA (100 mg/d) or Placebo for 4-weeks followed by a 2-week washout; participants ingested 0.5 mg APZ or Placebo 10 and 2 h before high-intensity exercise. Outcome Measures: Basal and exercise-induced ACTH, AVP, cortisol, DHEA, and growth hormone (GH) responses. It was hypothesized that DHEA would enhance and APZ blunt exercise-induced ACTH and cortisol release. Results: DHEA significantly increased the AVP response to exercise (P < 0.01). APZ treatment significantly increased basal GH and blunted plasma cortisol, ACTH, AVP and DHEA responses to exercise (P < 0.05). DHEA and APZ in combination significantly increased the GH response to exercise (P < 0.01). Conclusions: DHEA may alter a subset of receptors involved in AVP release. Together DHEA and APZ may up-regulate GH during exercise by blunting a suppressive (HPA axis) and potentiating an excitatory (glutamate receptor) system.

PMID: 15928250 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

paul e

Awards
Sounds like an interesting idea.. I took 100mg dhea per day for a month. But ive pretty much given it up lately, because there is no doubt that it has the effect of making me irritable... Well, it hinders sleep, and that in itself will make most people irritable. But I think it did both. Irritability is, after all, a known side effect of dhea for alot of people. I have no idea why.. It could be because of a test increase, but it just as easily could be because of a rise in est... est related moodiness is not a foreign concept either.

Either way, its too bad.. Because I do feel it made me stronger in the gym. Now that Im not taking it, looking back at my logs, I find that the amounts Im lifting more frequently back slide from week to week now, then when I was taking it. You dont see a huge difference in the lifting log, but I felt stronger when I was taking it. Still, its not worth the sides which I experienced.

rhinochaser48

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Just to add a few comments in here on high dose DHEA:

My girlfriend is currently trying 1725mg ED, (575mg x3 / day). She is lifting 3 times per week, doing cardio twice daily (morning and evening), and eating slightly below maintenance. So far, she is making some slight improvements in strength while shedding fat very quickly. I don't know how much can be attributed to the DHEA because I think the overall program, while it may be overreaching for a female, is fairly well balanced.

DHEA in this dose definetly has some adrogenicity because she is getting some slight acne, has a bit more of a libido than normal, and is experiencing heightened sensitivity down below.

Her mood has been elevated and she is having zero problems sleeping. In fact, she is out sleeping me every day, which is a first.

BigSwede

Awards
1700 mg is A LOT for a woman. In this case, androgenicity is a function of a large variance from the average dosing/regimen. I mean that is A LOT of DHEA for a woman! ;) My mother in law takes 25mg daily and has eliminated her menopausal hot flashes.

On 70x that dosage you may have to concern yourself with spontaneous penis development. j/k ;)

paul e

Awards

My girlfriend is currently trying 1725mg ED, (575mg x3 / day). She is lifting 3 times per week, doing cardio twice daily (morning and evening), and eating slightly below maintenance. So far, she is making some slight improvements in strength while shedding fat very quickly. I don't know how much can be attributed to the DHEA because I think the overall program, while it may be overreaching for a female, is fairly well balanced.

DHEA in this dose definetly has some adrogenicity because she is getting some slight acne, has a bit more of a libido than normal, and is experiencing heightened sensitivity down below.

Her mood has been elevated and she is having zero problems sleeping. In fact, she is out sleeping me every day, which is a first.
Lucky! I think because of its easy convertability between test and est, we need to focus on which sex we're talking about. I dont think we can make any conclusions, for instance, about the effect of larger dosing on Males from the effect we may see on females.. Age would also be an important characteristic to track with regard to effect. Keep an eye on it over time.. I dont know how long shes been doing it, but I enjoyed my 100mg for a couple of weeks. Then, the ill sides seemed to hit. I must have triggered some sensitivity, because now I get the sides from even 25mg! Ill keep trying though, over time.. Id love to be able to take it again.

paul e

Awards
1700 mg is A LOT for a woman. In this case, androgenicity is a function of a large variance from the average dosing/regimen. I mean that is A LOT of DHEA for a woman! ;) My mother in law takes 25mg daily and has eliminated her menopausal hot flashes.

On 70x that dosage you may have to concern yourself with spontaneous penis development. j/k ;)
Jeez... talk about Camel Toe!!!!

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Seems like pretty much every study on DHEA is positive or neutral. Couple more:

The estrogen antagonist EM-652 and dehydroepiandrosterone prevent diet- and ovariectomy-induced obesity.
Lemieux C, Picard F, Labrie F, Richard D, Deshaies Y.
Centre de Recherche de l'Hopital Laval and Departement d'Anatomie et Physiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada.
OBJECTIVE: EM-652 is a pure antiestrogen in human breast and uterine cancer cells that also reduces bone loss and plasma lipid levels in the rat. This study aimed to assess the ability of EM-652, alone or with dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), to prevent obesity and related metabolic abnormalities induced by an obesity-promoting diet and ovariectomy. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Female rats were fed a high-sucrose, high-fat (HSHF) diet, were left intact or ovariectomized (OVX), and were treated with EM-652, DHEA, or both for 20 days. Variables of energy balance and determinants of lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivity were assessed. RESULTS: The HSHF diet (vs. chow) and OVX both increased energy intake and gain, as well as energetic efficiency. Both EM-652 and DHEA prevented diet- and OVX-induced energy gain mainly by decreasing fat deposition, without being additive. The modest EM-652-induced increase in liver triglycerides of intact rats was prevented by its combination with DHEA. EM-652, but not DHEA, decreased cholesterolemia. The HSHF diet and OVX reduced insulin sensitivity, an effect that was attenuated by EM-652 and abrogated by DHEA and EM-652+DHEA. Treatment with EM-652, DHEA, or their combination abolished the diet- and OVX-induced increase in adipose lipoprotein lipase activity that accompanied fat gain. DISCUSSION: EM-652 is an effective agent to prevent diet- and OVX-induced obesity and its associated cardiovascular risk factors such as insulin resistance. The addition of DHEA prevents hepatic lipid accumulation and further ameliorates insulin sensitivity. The beneficial metabolic effects of such combined steroid therapy may, therefore, eventually prove to be clinically relevant.
PMID: 12634448 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dehydroepiandrosterone up-regulates resistin gene expression in white adipose tissue.
Kochan Z, Karbowska J.
Department of Biochemistry, Medical University of Gdansk, Debinki 1, 80-211 Gdansk, Poland. [email protected]
Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), the most abundant steroid hormone in human blood, is considered to be one of fat-reducing hormones. However, the molecular mechanisms underlying DHEA mode of action in obesity has not been fully clarified. The pivotal role in the maintenance of cellular lipid and energy balance is played by peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARalpha) which acts as transcriptional activator of numerous genes encoding enzymes involved in fatty acid catabolism. Lately published papers suggest that resistin, a low molecular-weight protein produced by adipose tissue, may act as an inhibitor of adipocyte differentiation and could regulate adipose tissue mass. Recent studies have established that the promoter region of the resistin gene contains several putative PPAR response elements. Since DHEA has been characterized as a peroxisome proliferator able to induce hepatic genes through PPARalpha, we hypothesised that DHEA might affect PPARalpha and, subsequently, resistin gene expression in adipose tissue. In order to test this hypothesis, an experiment was performed comparing PPARalpha and resistin gene expression in white adipose tissue (WAT) of male Wistar rats fed standard or DHEA-supplemented (0.6% (w/w)) diet for 2 weeks. DHEA administration to the rats induced PPARalpha and resistin gene expression in WAT (3- and 2.25-fold, respectively; as determined by real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)); reduced body weight, epididymal adipose tissue mass and decreased serum leptin levels. We propose that DHEA may impact on the transcription of resistin gene through a mechanism involving PPARalpha and that an elevated resistin level may lead to an inhibition of adipogenesis and a decrease in adipose tissue mass.
PMID: 15130511 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established

That is EXTREMELY WAY too much man. Where did you get your info at to do this? I would get her off of this ASAP bro....virilization symptoms will more than likely be present in the near future if she continues with this dose...even if it's minimal, most of these are irreverseable too....not something I would wanna mess with.