Prohormones and Hair Loss

DNkG

Awards
Hey guys,

Been reading this forum for a long time and haven't posted much. But I have been interested in trying prohormones for at least a couple of years but honestly I'm afraid of hair loss. I know it's been discussed a million times but all the threads are so contradictory. I've been on propecia for over 10 years, my diet is strict and I can't get much bigger then I am now without some extra help. I've been working out for over 10 years and I really really want to try a prohormone that will help gain mass but also be easy on my hair. Any suggestions on what's available now and also for guys in canada the best place to get them? Thanks!!

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's user dependent, if you're really concerned you can buy products for your hair to prevent hair loss

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's user dependent, if you're really concerned you can buy products for your hair to prevent hair loss
This.
There are some preventative measures that can help but they too are hit or miss for people. There are some that are going to be less harsh on the hairline but there's always a risk. You just have to decide if the risk is worth the reward.

The andros are good mild cycles for beginners that are pretty easy on the hairline for me personally. Epistane jacked up my hair but is fine for others. Again, You Just have to decide if it's worth it. 2% Keto shampoo or pura d or can help to an extent. We have some reviews and goggle has tons of reviews as well. Just remember nothing is guaranteed.

http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/pura-d-or-argan-oil

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
OP as far as I know the ones that are ok for Hair loss are Tbol, Var, NPP/Deca , EQ so look into the PH Equivalents. I would run test with everything and although it causes Hair loss its not harsh.

Could look into 11-kt also.

Also If u decide to use a version of EQ, NPP/Deca be warned allot of people suffer libido/ED problems.

GettinSwolen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea epi was fine for my hair as well, think it just depends on the individual..

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
Still on it actually I'm taking **** manifested which has epistane, Dymethazine, furuza, and hexadrone. I'm on week 4 had to drop my dosage t o one cap a day. I m using pur'dor dht gold shampoo, stemoxydene and high dose saw palmetto for hair protection plus a laser helmet I bought myself last year lol

linuxjon

Awards
Still on it actually I'm taking **** manifested which has epistane, Dymethazine, furuza, and hexadrone. I'm on week 4 had to drop my dosage t o one cap a day. I m using pur'dor dht gold shampoo, stemoxydene and high dose saw palmetto for hair protection plus a laser helmet I bought myself last year lol

Wonder if Finasteride would help?

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
I've also been using formastanzol trough out my cycle which has dht blocking properties in it as well and even with a ll this I still noticed some shedding like never before.

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
I'm sure it would help, I stabilized my shedding with high dose saw palmetto and lowering my dosage.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Been reading this forum for a long time and haven't posted much. But I have been interested in trying prohormones for at least a couple of years but honestly I'm afraid of hair loss. I know it's been discussed a million times but all the threads are so contradictory. I've been on propecia for over 10 years, my diet is strict and I can't get much bigger then I am now without some extra help. I've been working out for over 10 years and I really really want to try a prohormone that will help gain mass but also be easy on my hair. Any suggestions on what's available now and also for guys in canada the best place to get them? Thanks!!
Your options are limited while on finasteride....sort of anyway. The only truly 'safe' compounds to take (for your hair) while on finasteride are Testosterone (injectable or topical) or a prohormone that converts directly into Testosterone through a one or two-step process, such as 4-AD or 4-DHEA/Andro. As I'm sure you know, finasteride with block the 5ar enzyme which converts Test into DHT. This is why using a 5ar inhibitor with Test or a PH to Test can still be effective. Note that as you increase the levels of Test within the body, you will untimately increase DHT levels and this generally means an increase in finasteride is needed to maintain the same levels of DHT.

Designer steroids (DHT-based) and other pro-hormones and steroids that are already active androgens, and that don't convert to Test, can have a direct effect on speeding up the process of MPB. Finasteride will not be effective against these types of compounds and sometimes will increase hairloss when used in combination with them. There are certain steroids/hormones that get reduced from a very potent androgen into a weaker androgen with the help of the 5a/b-r enzyme. If you were to take finasteride with these specfic compounds, you could force the steroid have a stronger effect on hairloss than it would otherwise. One specific steroid that comes to mind is Nandrolone (referred to as Deca). Nandrolone is actually a pretty potent androgen but it gets converted into Dihydronandrolone via 5ar. If you were to take Deca and finasteride together, you may or may not see an increase in hairloss. Of course, because of this conversion, Deca is generally known to be quite safe on the hairline (when compared to Testosterone), without co-administration with finasteride.

There are certian old school steroids that people have taken with finasteride and they showed no accelerated rate of MPB. It is person, duration and dose-dependent though and you would need to do some searching via your internet search engine. A lot of the 'newer' designer steroids will cause hairloss and propecia will not do anything to stop that.

As someone who has fought MPB for many years now, I am very selective with what androgens I put into my body. If you are really worried about hairloss, I would suggest you look into SARMs such as Ostarine, LGD-4033 and Rad-140. They have a lot of the anabolic properties of steroids without the androgenic side-effects. They are selective 'androgens' and as such, their androgenic nature is diminsihed considerably. I have not seen any noticeable hairloss while using SARMs and I am definitely predisposed.

One thing to note though, be careful with taking SARMs and finasteride together. On my last run of LGD, I was dosing finasteride 0.5 mg ED and I noticed some sensitivity behind my left nipple for the first time in my life. I believe it was the combination of LGD lowering my serum Testosterone, and propecia lowering my DHT considerably, and thus leaving estrogen with less competition for the estrogen receptor. This gives it a much greater ability to bind and exert it's effects (in breast tissue specifically). I am positive that without finasteride I would have been fine. I can further prove this point by the fact that I dropped finasteride from my regimen and at the same time started taking Trestolone acetate, which is a very potent estrogen, and yet saw an improvement in nipple sensitivity. I would suggest using a low-dose of Raloxifene or Tamoxifen if combining SARMs with finasteride. At the very least, I would have them on hand as a just in case measure.

Unfortunately, using PH's and steroids over a long period of time WILL accelerate MPB. To what degree depends solely on the indiviual, what compounds they used and how long they used them for. In my opinion, your best bet is to stick to Testosterone or SARMs in combination with a higher or lower dose of finasteride, as well as topical use of anti-androgens such as ketoconazole.

For a more specific and scientific breakdown of finasteride and steroids, take a look at what Total Flex Blog has to say on the matter.

http://www.totalflexblog.com/articles/aasprohormonesdesigner-steroids-and-hair-loss/

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
Finasteride will do nothing to prevent hairloss from Epistane, DMZ or Furaza. I can't speak to hexadrone. Use of topical AR blockers locally in the scalp would be your best bet against accelerated MPB caused by these types of steroids.

MMAguy

MMAguy

Awards
To be honest here. If there was a product out that's proven to help combat MPB there would be a lot of people talking about it. Sure there is rogaine , shampoos, vitamins and products available but once your dht starts locking to your hair folicules roots there's not much you can do. Science has no secret weapon for hairless yet. It'll be a billion dollar industry/product once a proven medication comes out. For now, everything that is available is hit or miss.

linuxjon

Awards
To be honest here. If there was a product out that's proven to help combat MPB there would be a lot of people talking about it. Sure there is rogaine , shampoos, vitamins and products available but once your dht starts locking to your hair folicules roots there's not much you can do. Science has no secret weapon for hairless yet. It'll be a billion dollar industry/product once a proven medication comes out. For now, everything that is available is hit or miss.
I've seen and heard of finasteride helping a lot of people maintain what they still have. If your hair loss isn't steroid related, I think it works quite well. But it has sides, and it doesn't really regrow hair that's already gone.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you don't want hair loss don't use steroids or pro hormones.

If you want to risk it try ostarine

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
epistane was the worst for me, epiandro is another one that i tried recently that had me shedding uncontrollably, mine seems to grow back eventually but not quite as thick i imagine some are gone for good. I would get a shampoo such a Regenepure DR or pur d or gold it helps but when on specific compounds nothing seems to halt it. Ive probably aged my hair 10-15 years which sucks.

Ostarine gave me no problems that would be a smart choice stack it with something like cardarine and Mk-677 which actually promotes hair growth and you should be fine.

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
How the hell does Jay Cutler still have hair on his head?

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have an old old article that may be of some help. It's unfortunately Dr. Lee's compounding pharmacy was shut down by the FDA.

http://pogue972.blogspot.com/2006/03/preventing-androgenic-hair-loss.html

Basically, use Nizoral and topical spironolactone gel if you can find it. Saw palmetto and beta sitosterol could help too, and some shampoo with salicylic acid (along with the Nizoral).

I swear I had a PDF study I just got with a lot of information about androgenic alopecia, but it has mysteriously vanished. I'll keep on the look out for it for you though.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
As Toren mentioned below in depth, propecia and dutasteride will help, but only if the androgen in question actively converts to DHT. Otherwise, it's worthless.

One specific steroid that comes to mind is Nandrolone (referred to as Deca). Nandrolone is actually a pretty potent androgen but it gets converted into Dihydronandrolone via 5ar. If you were to take Deca and finasteride together, you may or may not see an increase in hairloss. Of course, because of this conversion, Deca is generally known to be quite safe on the hairline (when compared to Testosterone), without co-administration with finasteride.
Actually, I've been doing quite a bit of research for deca for an article I'm writing, and according to the articles, since nandrolone converts via 5AR to a weaker androgen (dihydronandrolone or DHN), taking finasteride along with it actually keeps nandrolone from making that conversion and keeping it more androgenic - making it worse for hair loss. If you really really want, I can go and try and find the study where it says that, but otherwise just take my word on it. Nandrolone would be one of the safest AAS for your scalp for those concerned.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's more info about the Azelaic acid and zinc combo.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3207614

But, your best bet on cycle is to use topical spironolactone, probably at 5% twice a day. The stuff really stinks, so if you can find it in a liquid and not a gel, you'll be in luck. You can't wear a hat when you use it or it will make it smell worse.

Spironolactone is a direct androgen receptor antagonist, so it will prevent DHT and other androgens from binding to your scalp and in theory, stopping the androgens from effecting your hair. Here is possibility the one and only study done on men (not on AAS) using spironolactone on their scalp for alopecia.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090830211625/http://geocities.com/bryan50001/spiro2.htm

There are a few studies on nizoral and hair loss and they also show decent results:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9669136

Lastly, here is what Big Cat wrote in an older article about prohormones and hair loss:

I'm worried about losing my hair, is there anything I can do? Anything at all?

You and me both. Androgenetic alopecia (Hair loss) is only considered a real risk if you have the Male-pattern baldness gene on your mom's side of the family. But, turns out you and me were in the wrong line, because we both have it. Hair loss is absolutely irreversible. It's due to build-up of DHT in the scalp, which is rich in androgenic receptors. It's also unstoppable. But it can be slowed down to some extent. The first and most popular means is prescription hair loss medication. If you can show your doctor you are at risk, such a prescription is easily obtained. Finasteride (Propecia, Rogaine) is mostly used here. Finasteride stops 5-alpha reductase, preventing testosterone from turning to DHT. This would certainly help, were it not for two reservations. The first being that a lot of people using finasteride have complained of a loss of strength and a halt of gains. This would in some way be countered by the prohormones, but still, if it compromised gains it can't be all good. The second reason being that some prohormones, 5AA and 1AD for instance, will convert straight to DHT or a DHT-derivative. The introduced hormones have already undergone 5-alpha reductase so they can't be stopped from exerting their influence by using finsasteride to prevent the enzymatic conversion.

Another popular means of slowing down hair loss is the element Ketoconazole. It can be found in the shampoo Nizoral AD and if the keto is indeed absorbed through the scalp, which is questionable, it can exert an effect on stopping hair loss or slowing it down. The efficacy on hair loss has been widely documented in studies, but they were using oral administration. If you want to go that route, I can tell you that Nizoral was actually an oral compound to begin with. But you need a prescription to obtain it and your doctor will tell you that the keto-version has flaws and side-effects of its own. Now my doctor (who happens to be my father as well) prescribed me a different form of conazole. He also told me that it's often used as a shock-treatment. They give double doses 1 week and then nothing for three week, and this for periods of 3-6 months. Apparently that is more effective. Now I have to say that this stuff is usually prescribed for fungi, but I've had no complaints. I believe when doing a stack you can benefit from doing double dose for 4 days every two weeks and using the Nizoral shampoo at the same time, every day. Like the proverbial "double whammy". This is probably your best bet if you can obtain it. But getting the prescription should be no problem if you are indeed at risk for hair loss.

A more natural way that has been heralded as the savior of hair is wool-fat or lanoline. It's a natural fat found in the wool of sheep to help them maintain health of wool and skin. It's rumoured that it was first looked into because Sheppards apparently have some of the healthiest hair around. In either case, putting this stuff in your hair may help, but cover your pillows with a towel, because this will never ever wash out.

Using zinc and Magnesium and several fat-soluble vitamins will aid in maintaining healthy hair as well. But if you aren't already taking a multi-vitamin, it's high time you started since you are sabotaging your gains. And doing the ZMA to boost natural test afterwards and for most of the year can help as well. I use ZMA almost year-round. In fact all the time except when on my stack. The last way is simply to stop washing your hair and maintain some natural lanoline, but if you work in the public eye, that isn't really an option is it?

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
Designer steroids (DHT-based) and other pro-hormones and steroids that are already active androgens, and that don't convert to Test, can have a direct effect on speeding up the process of MPB. Finasteride will not be effective against these types of compounds and sometimes will increase hairloss when used in combination with them. There are certain steroids/hormones that get reduced from a very potent androgen into a weaker androgen with the help of the 5a/b-r enzyme. If you were to take finasteride with these specfic compounds, you could force the steroid have a stronger effect on hairloss than it would otherwise. One specific steroid that comes to mind is Nandrolone (referred to as Deca). Nandrolone is actually a pretty potent androgen but it gets converted into Dihydronandrolone via 5ar. If you were to take Deca and finasteride together, you may or may not see an increase in hairloss. Of course, because of this conversion, Deca is generally known to be quite safe on the hairline (when compared to Testosterone), without co-administration with finasteride.
Actually, I've been doing quite a bit of research for deca for an article I'm writing, and according to the articles, since nandrolone converts via 5AR to a weaker androgen (dihydronandrolone or DHN), taking finasteride along with it actually keeps nandrolone from making that conversion and keeping it more androgenic - making it worse for hair loss. If you really really want, I can go and try and find the study where it says that, but otherwise just take my word on it. Nandrolone would be one of the safest AAS for your scalp for those concerned.
Correct. That is exactly what I said. You just said it with different wording. Here is the full quoted text for context and reference.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Correct. That is exactly what I said. You just said it with different wording. Here is the full quoted text for context and reference.
Oh yep, you did say that! I just misread it. :)

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
Oh yep, you did say that! I just misread it. :)
No worries. I think it just comes down to writing style and sometimes saying something directly versus insinuating it and believing the reader would understand. Had I directly stated in the same sentence that DHN was a weaker andogen, it may have been more clear.

:]

linuxjon

Awards
As Toren mentioned below in depth, propecia and dutasteride will help, but only if the androgen in question actively converts to DHT. Otherwise, it's worthless.

That makes sense.

So I would imagine that if someone only ran test then, and took the appropriate dose of Fin, hairloss should be next to nonexistent then. Or at least in my wishful thinking.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That makes sense.

So I would imagine that if someone only ran test then, and took the appropriate dose of Fin, hairloss should be next to nonexistent then. Or at least in my wishful thinking.
Well, you're also decreasing DHT throughout the body. Type 2 5AR is mostly found in the scalp and prostate, but DHT is also important for strength, aggression and prevention of estrogenic side effects.

IMO, the best option is a topical one with an anti-androgen on the scalp.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards
Well, you're also decreasing DHT throughout the body. Type 2 5AR is mostly found in the scalp and prostate, but DHT is also important for strength, aggression and prevention of estrogenic side effects.

Completely agree.

linuxjon

Awards

I know people talk about DHT being important for strength, but I've never noticed any drop in strength using Fin at low (.5mg daily) doses. I was using it during my last Smolov Jr cycle and still put 25lbs on my bench in 3 weeks (not on gear).

Is there a topical that's actually proven to be as effective?

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know people talk about DHT being important for strength, but I've never noticed any drop in strength using Fin at low (.5mg daily) doses. I was using it during my last Smolov Jr cycle and still put 25lbs on my bench in 3 weeks (not on gear).

Is there a topical that's actually proven to be as effective?
Go back to page 1 and read my earlier replies.

If finasteride is working good for you and you're adding strength and not getting gyno, then I would probably continue using that. That's not the experience for everyone unfortunately.

As far as "proven" I'm not 100% sure. But spironolactone is absolutely an antiandrogen that you can apply topically. There might even be topical finasteride for all I know, I haven't kept up with the hair loss products out there since the FDA shut down Dr. Lee's minioxidil.com site.

yenohregdab

yenohregdab

Awards

If finasteride is working good for you and you're adding strength and not getting gyno, then I would probably continue using that. That's not the experience for everyone unfortunately.

As far as "proven" I'm not 100% sure. But spironolactone is absolutely an antiandrogen that you can apply topically. There might even be topical finasteride for all I know, I haven't kept up with the hair loss products out there since the FDA shut down Dr. Lee's minioxidil.com site.
Yes you can get topical finasteride but it goes systematic so works out the same.

The only choice for me is Spiro in this regard and adding Min, niz, AA.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes you can get topical finasteride but it goes systematic so works out the same.

The only choice for me is Spiro in this regard and adding Min, niz, AA.
It should go systematic in a very limited way, less so than if you take it orally. I would much rather apply it topically than take it orally.

Also what is Min and AA? I assume Niz is Nizoral.

Would you mind if I asked where you get the topical finasteride or is an rx only product? You can tell me in a PM if you wish.

linuxjon

Awards

Fair enough. I realize some people don't have good experiences with it.

It does definitely hurt my sex drive and performance. Which is why I'll probably only use it on cycle from now on (when there is so much T that it shouldn't matter anyway).

alphagainz

alphagainz

Head of Alpha Gainz
Awards
I would not be quick to recommend Fina to anyone! Fina has some nasty, and potentially unreversable side effects!

There are a lot of folks who suffer from previous use of Fina and would have preferred losing their hair.

DNkG

Awards
Thanks for all the replies. I have been on finasteride for 11 years. I've been researching 11-Kt and have a couple of questions. Is it ok to take 11-kt while on finasteride and can you bulk on this product? Thanks again!

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
11kt is a fish hormone and it lowers cortisol deffinetly not a bulker, it will make you leaner and more vascular, I just bought 2 bottles off eBay lol hopefully it's legit.

JPSwole

JPSwole

Awards
Anybody in here use stemoxydene aka neogenic it works just as good or better as minoxydil but without the side effects. I'm on my 5th box and it's doing a good job so far id recommend it.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the replies. I have been on finasteride for 11 years. I've been researching 11-Kt and have a couple of questions. Is it ok to take 11-kt while on finasteride and can you bulk on this product? Thanks again!
I've actuallly been doing quite a bit of research on 11KT recently, including how it might interact with 5aR inhibitors like finasteride. I still have more research to do but here is what I have gathered so far.

11-Ketotestosterone (11KT) is actually somewhat similar to Testosterone (T), and as such, it can be 5-alpha reduced in a similar fashion. T gets reduced via 5aR1 and 5aR2 into a more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). 11KT will be 5-alpha reduced (by the same enzymatic process), into a more potent androgen known as11-keto-dihydrotestosterone (11KDHT). Both DHT and 11KDHT are notably more androgenic than their precursor hormones. Using finasteride will block the 5aR2 enzyme from converting 11KT to 11KDHT, just as it stops the 5aR2 enzyme from reducing T into DHT. Finasteride wll not, however, block the 5aR1 enzyme from converting both parent hormones into their more androgenic metabolites. Dutasteride would prevent that reduction, but would increase potential side-effects by lowering DHT even more in the body.

* Note: T and 11KT can also be 5-alpha reduced into other androgens, but DHT and 11KDHT will be the most prominent metabolites and will also be the most androgenic.

So, we know that blocking the 5aR enzyme will slow the conversion into a more potent androgen but that isn't the whole story. Just as T can be 5-alpha reduced into a potent androgen, it can also be 5-beta reduced into somewhat inactive metabolites. One might worry that by using finasteride we are also blocking the conversion into these inactive metabolitess and thus making T more prominent. (Keep in mind that T would be far more androgenic than 5b-DHT) This is true to an extent as we know that men who take finasteride generaly see an increase in total T because less of it gets reduced by the alpha and beta reductase enzymes. Now, the rate of conversion to either a-H or b-H metabolites depends on many factors but what we do know is that using a 5-a/b-R inhibitor such as finasteride will ultimately lower serum levels of the most potent androgen in the human body, DHT. This means that finasteride will usually do more good than it will harm in the fight against hair loss, when used in combination with naturally produced or exogenously supplied T.

Now, how does this relate to 11KT? Based upon the A-ring of the11KT steroid structure, it can also be 5-alpha and 5-beta reduced. This means that the outcome of using finasteride in combination with 11KT should yield a similar result to the T/Finasteride combo. I can't tell you if the rate of conversion to alpha and beta metabolites would be the same, or more for one over the other, I can only tell you that both metabolites are produced for both T and 11KT. (I am still doing some research on this last point)

To summarize, I believe that the co-use of finasteride and 11KT should be neutral at worst. Of course, 11KT has been shown to be a potent androgen in it's own right, so using high amounts of 11KT may still accelarate the balding process more so than if you had never used it at all. Not to mention the fact that we all metabolize these hormones differently. The increase in 11KT within the body may be offset somewhat by the decrease in T that will be seen when introducing exogenous forms of 11KT.

* Note: T and 11KT share a similar level of androgenicity (in specific prostate cells), when compared to DHT, measuring an approximate AR agonism rate of 60% of that of DHT.

I will be using 11KT and finasteride in a few months so I will know for sure how it affects me. As always, the use of topical AR antagonists such as ketoconazole, and to a lesser extent spironolactone, will help locally to prevent some AR binding.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
11kt is a fish hormone and it lowers cortisol deffinetly not a bulker, it will make you leaner and more vascular, I just bought 2 bottles off eBay lol hopefully it's legit.

While 11KT is the dominant androgen in some species of fish, it is not just a fish hormone. It is also native to the human body and can be produced from Testosterone and Androstendione through a multi-step enzymatic process.

While not known as a bulking compound, it can be used successfully on a bulking cycle to help minimize fat gain.

What brand did you get off Ebay? There are some legit versions of 11KT currently on the market. I currently have 4 bottles in my stash.

Anybody in here use stemoxydene aka neogenic it works just as good or better as minoxydil but without the side effects. I'm on my 5th box and it's doing a good job so far id recommend it.
I've done some reading on it but it seems to be priced considerably higher than minoxidil (Rogaine). Have you used minoxidil before and gotten side-effects from it? Can you compare results between the two? I get no negative side-effects from Rogaine that I can see.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
On a side note, I've been contacting the research chemical sites and trying to convince them to carry topical spironolactone, topical finasteride/dutasteride and some other hair loss chemicals, but so far I haven't had any luck. A Google search took me to a site that sold topical finasteride, but they refused to ship it to the US for some reason.

I'm sure there are some herbal anti-DHT based shampoos and stuff out there, but I would really like to formulate my own based on my own research. Story of my life though, I have so many good ideas for products but don't have the means to make/produce/sell the stuff.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
On a side note, I've been contacting the research chemical sites and trying to convince them to carry topical spironolactone, topical finasteride/dutasteride and some other hair loss chemicals, but so far I haven't had any luck. A Google search took me to a site that sold topical finasteride, but they refused to ship it to the US for some reason.

I'm sure there are some herbal anti-DHT based shampoos and stuff out there, but I would really like to formulate my own based on my own research. Story of my life though, I have so many good ideas for products but don't have the means to make/produce/sell the stuff.
There are definitely sites that sell topical spiro as I've come across them in my travels. I just can't remember off the top of my head......

There are also formulas on the website to make topical finasteride products. Most combine a specific ratio of crushed finasteride tablets added to either a minoxidil preparation, a spironolactone preparation such as S5 cream, or an alcohol/propylene glycol base product.

Adding some fun reading for your pleasure. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/10837450.2014.954727?journalCode=iphd20

Not sure if you've come across it or not but this is a nice, mostly natural and ketoconazole-infused shampoo that I have been using for the last number of months. I still combine it with regular use of 2% Nizoral a few times weekly.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There are definitely sites that sell topical spiro as I've come across them in my travels. I just can't remember off the top of my head......

There are also formulas on the website to make topical finasteride products. Most combine a specific ratio of crushed finasteride tablets added to either a minoxidil preparation, a spironolactone preparation such as S5 cream, or an alcohol/propylene glycol base product.
That's interesting. I'd like to avoid minoxidil just yet as it's a lifelong commitment. If you have links to the other stuff you mentioned, could you PM to me? Btw, if you're interested, I have an article on my blog from a few years back on preventing androgenic hair loss with some other suggestions. The thing about spironolactone is I would much prefer to use it in a liquid instead of a cream because for one, it stinks, two, you can't wear a hat with it, and it's just greasy and messy stuff you have to apply twice a day.

Not sure if you've come across it or not but this is a nice, mostly natural and ketoconazole-infused shampoo that I have been using for the last number of months. I still combine it with regular use of 2% Nizoral a few times weekly.
That looks pretty decent actually. Pricey though, about how long does it last you? I'd really like to find something with Azelaic acid in it too. Where do you get your 2% keto from? I'm just using 1% from Walmart.

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
That's interesting. I'd like to avoid minoxidil just yet as it's a lifelong commitment. If you have links to the other stuff you mentioned, could you PM to me? Btw, if you're interested, I have an article on my blog from a few years back on preventing androgenic hair loss with some other suggestions. The thing about spironolactone is I would much prefer to use it in a liquid instead of a cream because for one, it stinks, two, you can't wear a hat with it, and it's just greasy and messy stuff you have to apply twice a day.
I will have to track down the links but I will PM you when I find them. I may have them somewhere on my computer.

I've been reading and researching hairloss (unfortunately - Lol) for about 15 or 16 years now so there's a good chance I may have already stumbled upon your blog post. I will take a look shortly.

What's interesting about Spiro is that I have always read that it smells worse in liquid form and that when combined with certain masking agents (creams), the smell is muted. I used a 5% topical spiro cream (S5) for the past 14 months and I will tell you that the smell is quite mild and fades as time goes by. The smell is not completely neutral though. The S5 cream also dried pretty well and wasn't all that noticeable for me. I have very short hair though so I would imagine it would be more of an inconvenience for people with longer hair.

That looks pretty decent actually. Pricey though, about how long does it last you? I'd really like to find something with Azelaic acid in it too. Where do you get your 2% keto from? I'm just using 1% from Walmart.
It is a bit pricey but it lasts longer than you would think. I'm still on my first bottle and I bought it appx. 5 months ago. I have about 3/4" left in the bottom of the bottle. I use it everyday as well, so it has ended up being a good value. I can't recall there being any Azelaic acid-based shampoos. I'm sure you can get it in a topical solution somewhere.

I'm not a US resident so I can just go and get 2% Nizoral at any store that sells it. You might try Amazon.ca and be able to get it shipped to you. I actually purchase some of my supplements from Amazon USA and it ships/delivers no problem.

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will have to track down the links but I will PM you when I find them. I may have them somewhere on my computer.

I've been reading and researching hairloss (unfortunately - Lol) for about 15 or 16 years now so there's a good chance I may have already stumbled upon your blog post. I will take a look shortly.

What's interesting about Spiro is that I have always read that it smells worse in liquid form and that when combined with certain masking agents (creams), the smell is muted. I used a 5% topical spiro cream (S5) for the past 14 months and I will tell you that the smell is quite mild and fades as time goes by. The smell is not completely neutral though. The S5 cream also dried pretty well and wasn't all that noticeable for me. I have very short hair though so I would imagine it would be more of an inconvenience for people with longer hair.

Can you tell me where you get your spiro cream too? Or is that a Canadian rx thing?

It is a bit pricey but it lasts longer than you would think. I'm still on my first bottle and I bought it appx. 5 months ago. I have about 3/4" left in the bottom of the bottle. I use it everyday as well, so it has ended up being a good value. I can't recall there being any Azelaic acid-based shampoos. I'm sure you can get it in a topical solution somewhere.
Sounds good, I think I'll invest in a bottle of that. Does it have the % listed of nizoral anywhere on the bottle of it?

I'm pretty sure there are Azelaic acid out there somewhere. I just don't want to end up washing my hair with 5 different things and rubbing 10 different gels into it afterwards. lol.

I'm not a US resident so I can just go and get 2% Nizoral at any store that sells it. You might try Amazon.ca and be able to get it shipped to you. I actually purchase some of my supplements from Amazon USA and it ships/delivers no problem.
I might check into that. Shipping might be an extra $. I've read 1% is actually good enough though, so might not be worth the trouble.