Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I was talking to a few friends and asked the following: at the end of the 90's era when the homerun chase was at a climax, Mark McGwire comes forth with information that he was taking andro. This obviously set the wheels in motion and opened the gates for every sup company to start selling anything they could with Andro in it. Andro chews, Andro pills, lotions whatever; GNC finally came around and started selling it.

To those who didn't exercise or take lifting weights seriously enough immediately came forward and expressed their disgrace with Mark and the use of PH. Baseball enthusiasts couldn't bare the fact that Roger Maris's single-season record was broken because of AAS/Ph use and already the talk of putting an asterisk next to his name was being considered. Lets not forget about Bonds who in 2003 testified he didn't know Balco or use any type of AAs. We know the rest with Patrick and the how the case played out.

The ASC began behind the scenes and for those of us who were around and able to use those products before the ban were lucky; like me. anyway, my thought is, if the PH/AAs were not in the lime light because MLB players were using them, would the ASC would have come around? Remember, health store commercials that promoted a new product showed someone swinging a bat; not lifting weights. The pictures of pro BB were shown in mags, not on TV.

It almost seems that between the balco case, the homerun chase and reports of parents pushing andro kits (for the life of me, I cant remember the company that had a kit in a cardboard cut out, with doses and the recommend days they were supposed to be used, kit was not intended for teens) with unknown side effects, it appears the abuse of the PH made a huge mockery of the American values.

Even after the ban, loop holes opened up to create and sell diff versions of PH that almost seemed to just as strong or stronger than the first ones. Now with the latest ban, sup companies are again scrambling to find the next new thing. The latest that has made headlines, Ostra. One sup company being sued by another sup company clearly shows the gloves are off and its every man for themselves.

IMHO this ban has created more problems ever since 2004. If the homerun chase was not in question, do you think the first ban would have taken place?

Tiocfaidh

Tiocfaidh

Awards
  • Established
simple answer, no. it was a total cave to public pressure and ignorance.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
On one side, people will say that if they didn't ban it - the companies would have kept pushing anyway and things would be even more out of hand. I had a supplement company when I was in college and all of this was going on - and when Andro was out, very few people talked about PCT, etc. People just didn't get it. The industry has changed, some for the good, some for the not so good.

I always tell people the FDA was NEVER intended to protect consumers. It was actually the meat industry that lobbied to get the "watchdog" that would eventually become the FDA to be created. After tainted meat (one of our largest exports) stopped Europeans from buying our meat, the meat company lobbied to get a "watchdog" created so the Europeans could feel safer about the products and start buying again. That watchdog grew into the FDA and now does the SAME THING for the pharma companies.

Remember Triax? Tiratricol was pulled from the market despite having at least some safety data available - but drug companies had spent a fortune researching the compound and didn't want it OTC. On the other hand, GBH never really saw any hard scrutiny despite basketball players collapsing while on it and evidence that it caused seizures - but no drug company was really interested in it. The media and the drug companies interests can definitely change the direction of things.

Look at the way we want to legalize pot, and smoking is OK, and drinking is rampant - but if you use steroids you are just evil. Dorian Yates actually put it well - he abused steroids for 10-12 years at doses well above the recommendations and he hasn't seen any long-term health issues from it. If someone did that with Tylenol, they'd be in the hospital or dead.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It may have sparked it, but straight up DS were being sold through a legal loophole. Once the 17a and transdermals came out, it was only a matter of time.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
good points. I also believe pharm companies had lobbied hard to help push bans. After last years ban, did you notice how many commercials came out for Test by dr script or new drugs to help with trt? again, as Rodja said, it was only a matter of time.