Silica Gel Desiccants

C

cubical

Awards
I have them packet with my sotred powders. I was wandering if anyone knew if it was safe for the
Silica Gel Desiccants to be actually in the powder or should I take them out and seperate them somehow. Thanks guys

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
this pertains to the same thread i started how long do powders last without losing there efficency

C

cubical

Awards
Whats the difference? Doesnt what I have absorb o2? And does any1 knowthe answer to my origional question? Thanks

S

s.norman

Awards
  • Established
the dessicants are encased in a sack-you should be ok w/ that.there are 2 components that degrade product: h2o and o2. dessicants take care of h2o; o2 absorbers take care of o2

C

cubical

Awards
where do i get them? how long u think the powders are good for with them?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
given proper storage, (ie, cool, dark, no O2, no H2O, tightly sealed), they could last an unknown number of years.

search on "storage" here.

Last edited:
BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
an excellent combination - keep them dark & cool!

C

cubical

Awards
What is the actualy name of them? Im keeping my powder in the freezer.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
can't remember, offhand - look under 'food storage'

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
For sealing in the content & keeping out the air & moisture?
No, not your basic plastic bag.

I believe there are special, impermeable-plastic bags one could find & buy, but for safe long-term storage, glass - with a well-fitted, sealing lid - is best. IMO.

C

cubical

Awards
Im hesitant to spend another 20 bucks on my stored PHs, Im just not that certain they will last me another 3 years(when I will be able to sue them). In air tight ziplock bags, compresses to push out most all the air, and with dessicants, how long do u think they would last? Thanks for your insight Body

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
cubical - 12, maybe 18 months before you'd start to see some degradation. Not saying anything would be rendered useless, but plastic is gas-permeable over time - eventually, air will get in; eventually, your O2 eaters will get full - but most importantly, if you're freezing, eventually you'll want to thaw it out - and then you'll need to control the condensation. This is especially important if you expect to thaw & refreeze & re-thaw a package.

You'd help yourself out if you stuffed those bags in a Mason jar - then you'd only have to worry about the air in the jar, and you don't have to worry about condensation - just let the whole jar come up to room temperature, open on a dry day, get done quickly, and re-pack / re-freeze immediately. (This is being pretty retentive, but the margin of safety is unknown; you may choose to err on the side of caution, and you may not.)

As for the extra $20 - consider what you spent on what you're puttin' up.

Hope some o' this helps

Last edited: