GW501516 and cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So, I noticed the Wikipedia entry on GW501516 mentions that this compound was abandoned as a research chemical by the mfg because it caused cancer in the animals they were testing it on. Thoughts on this?

GW501516 (also known as GW-501,516, GW1516, GSK-516 and on the black market as Endurobol[1]) is a PPARδ receptor agonist that was invented in a collaboration between Ligand Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline in the 1990s, was entered into clinical development as a drug candidate for metabolic diseases and cardiovascular diseases, and was abandoned in 2007 because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.

By 2007, GW501516 had completed two phase II clinical studies and other studies relating to obesity, diabetes, dyslipidemia and cardiovascular disease,[9][10] but GSK abandoned further development of the drug in 2007 for reasons which were not disclosed as the time.[11] It later emerged that the drug was discontinued because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.[12][13][14]
From the references:

Despite these promising early results, the further investigation and development of GW501516 was discontinued after observations in animal studies of its association with the rapid induction of cancers in several organs (liver, stomach, tongue, skin, bladder, ovaries, womb and testes

I can't post the URLs but its on the Wikipedia entry.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Search out Q&A thread and your answers there

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I noticed the Wikipedia entry on GW501516 mentions that this compound was abandoned as a research chemical by the mfg because it caused cancer in the animals they were testing it on. Thoughts on this?

From the references:

I can't post the URLs but its on the Wikipedia entry.
I think they used enormous amount on the lab animals, that's why it caused cancer.
but hopefully someone with more knowledge can elaborate more

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Search out Q&A thread and your answers there
Can you elaborate as to where I can find this?

I think they used enormous amount on the lab animals, that's why it caused cancer.
but hopefully someone with more knowledge can elaborate more
That seems to be what I'm reading on the talk page of Wikipedia, there is a lot of back and forth about the dosage used, etc. But, I think it boils down to the question of: why would a major pharmaceutical company abandon research and usage of the compound and why would they do this specifically after studies showed it caused cancer in lab animals?

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was thought that cancer was only caused in larger doses, but there were studies showing it can cause cancer at any dosage. That is why they dropped the drug and stopped the studies.

Chrisko

Chrisko

Banned
Awards
If it does case cancer at any dose, why would anyone want to take it? **** that.

There has to be a good reason why research companies abandon a compound. Pharmaceutical companies are all about making money. Think about it. The value of the drug is no where near the cost of the side affects to them. Hence why some go on to be patented and others don't.

Chrisko

Chrisko

Banned
Awards
Unless someone else can explain better reason to drop research on a compound other than funding.

aovereem

Awards
  • Established
Its beyond me why anyone would even gamble with this ****

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it does case cancer at any dose, why would anyone want to take it? **** that.

There has to be a good reason why research companies abandon a compound. Pharmaceutical companies are all about making money. Think about it. The value of the drug is no where near the cost of the side affects to them. Hence why some go on to be patented and others don't.
Just because it can cause cancer, doesn't mean it will. A lot of things can cause cancer. Doesn't mean they WILL cause cancer.

Chrisko

Chrisko

Banned
Awards
Yeah, you can bang a chick or dude(whatever anyone is into) with a condom that has hiv or AIDS. It doesn't mean you will get it but do you want to take that chance?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are studies that show too much creatine can cause cancer. Enough vitamin C can cause cancer. It's all about staying under super human dosing.

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
It was thought that cancer was only caused in larger doses, but there were studies showing it can cause cancer at any dosage. That is why they dropped the drug and stopped the studies.
Exactly. So even at a reasonable HED GW has the very real potential to be unsafe. Given its sketchy & inconsistent benefits it is far from a compound worth using IMO.

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exactly. So even at a reasonable HED GW has the very real potential to be unsafe. Given its sketchy & inconsistent benefits it is far from a compound worth using IMO.
can you clear your inbox man!

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
my experience was this stuff is fake, and havent read a log yet where someone said it worked as advertised. I suggest you spend your hard earned dollars on clen

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
my experience was this stuff is fake, and havent read a log yet where someone said it worked as advertised. I suggest you spend your hard earned dollars on clen
Maybe you should check some logs on here bro.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a very generalized statement. I could link multiple logs right now to gw users that will say that it does work as advertised. Looks like you need to do some more research next time before spending your hard earned dollars

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
That's a very generalized statement. I could link multiple logs right now to gw users that will say that it does work as advertised. Looks like you need to do some more research next time before spending your hard earned dollars
actually its an opinion based on my experience and I feel it makes a valid point, you rum a pretty good risk at getting bunk chems, I did thats a fact. I will never purchase GW again

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
actually its an opinion based on my experience and I feel it makes a valid point, you rum a pretty good risk at getting bunk chems, I did thats a fact. I will never purchase GW again
When you say "this stuff", people will tend to assume you mean all GW. Your statement comes across as generalized and non-specific. If you had said 'my stuff was fake' or, 'the GW I took was fake', then yates would have given you the leeway you are suggesting you should have gotten. No one is debating the fact that you had a negative experience with the stuff you took. Nobody is suggesting that all GW on the market is legit. The way you worded your statement could sugggest that you think all GW supps are fake. I'm just giving you some perspective from a neutral party.

I have been on GW since Aug. 13 and I can tell you it does what it is supposed to do. There is no doubt the variance on that result will be dependent on so many factors. It is by no means a miracle worker though. I view it not as a staple supplement but as an addition to a supplement and training program. Nothing will outwork hard work!

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
I hear what your saying bro, I'm just not fond of peptides in general, seems like I got scammed by 2 different labs. I think that for the same money there are other products that perform as .

Toren

Toren

Awards
  • Established
I hear what your saying bro, I'm just not fond of peptides in general, seems like I got scammed by 2 different labs. I think that for the same money there are other products that perform as .
Fair enough. We all make decisions based upon our past experiences.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really haven't seen a lot of positive posts about GW. Well maybe a few with someone taking 5 other things. Much better safer things you can spend your money on.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
I'd run an I.V. tap of Cardarine if I could; the stuff is too good to be true. The problem I have is when you give 400 times the dosage of LGD, Osta, MK, etc to mice they don't develop cancer. With Cardarine they did. I also used to chewed tobacco for 15 years so take it for what it's worth.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Too good to be true because it doesn't deliver on the results claimed. Well maybe it does, if it's a sponsored log....

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Too good to be true because it doesn't deliver on the results claimed. Well maybe it does, if it's a sponsored log....
All I can say is I noticed a difference in my physique within a week of adding cardarine into my regimen. Today my gf told me I look really lean. She's been calling me fat (only 50% jokingly) for the past year.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All I can say is I noticed a difference in my physique within a week of adding cardarine into my regimen. Today my gf told me I look really lean. She's been calling me fat (only 50% jokingly) for the past year.
She is suppose to tell you you look good. That's what makes her a good girlfriend. I wouldn't judge anything within a week. You can look more lean or more bloated and fat depending on the time of day, what you eat, after exercise....So many variables...It could also be that you've been working harder in the gym since taking GW, thinking, "I don't want to waste this...". The results could be and probably are more from hard work and less if anything from the GW.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
She is suppose to tell you you look good. That's what makes her a good girlfriend.
True, BUT she also is the type to tell it how it is, and she was right. I have had extra body fat on me compared to when we met. Today was the first time I've heard her call me skinny in a long time lol

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
She is suppose to tell you you look good. That's what makes her a good girlfriend. I wouldn't judge anything within a week. You can look more lean or more bloated and fat depending on the time of day, what you eat, after exercise....So many variables...It could also be that you've been working harder in the gym since taking GW, thinking, "I don't want to waste this...". The results could be and probably are more from hard work and less if anything from the GW.
That's fair, but I'm honestly pretty consistent with my intensity in the gym. Maybe it's not ALL due to the GW but I think it definitely is having an effect on me.
And I don't often say that about a supplement. Often I am suspicious of the effectiveness of something on my body personally. This is why I use creatine off and on because even when I am consistent with it I really don't notice much.

StanleyG

StanleyG

Awards
GW , IMO, is absolute garbage even with cancer study aside. Ive used it with and without aicar and it didnt do a damn thing.
In fact on most forums where it isnt shilled so heavy like it is here it is pretty much accepted as useless for bodybuilders. Yes useless, in fact even on a forum where road cyclists are head over heels for endurance boosters they do not care for GW. Thats just is what it is so someone can chime in and say they love it and it did xyz for them all I am saying is this place is the exception not the norm when it comes to GW and one can only wonder why that is. Or one can look at GW and call it for what it is, a perhaps well marketed (if you call such tactics good marketing) yet very ineffective supplement.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
GW , IMO, is absolute garbage even with cancer study aside. Ive used it with and without aicar and it didnt do a damn thing.
In fact on most forums where it isnt shilled so heavy like it is here it is pretty much accepted as useless for bodybuilders. Yes useless, in fact even on a forum where road cyclists are head over heels for endurance boosters they do not care for GW. Thats just is what it is so someone can chime in and say they love it and it did xyz for them all I am saying is this place is the exception not the norm when it comes to GW and one can only wonder why that is. Or one can look at GW and call it for what it is, a perhaps well marketed (if you call such tactics good marketing) yet very ineffective supplement.
Do you ever have anything positive to say or do you just stalk this forum to complain about the PEDs everyone else is using?

Parad0x

Parad0x

Awards
  • Established
Breathing causes cancer, but I wouldn't recommend not doing that

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Do you ever have anything positive to say or do you just stalk this forum to complain about the PEDs everyone else is using?
Stan's dropped some good knowledge on AM, for me anyway, and been helpful via PM. People give opinions (and anecdotal experience) on discussion boards - some will agree, and some will disagree. My .02

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stan's dropped some good knowledge here, for me anyway, and been helpful via PM. People give opinions (and anecdotal experience) on discussion boards - some will agree, and some will disagree. My .02
Yeah but disagree every post?

IronMind

Awards
I wouldn't trust any retailer that sells GW. The fact that it caused cancer in animals is enough for a responsible retailer not to sell it.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I wouldn't trust any retailer that sells GW. The fact that it caused cancer in animals is enough for a responsible retailer not to sell it.
Are you for real ? Are you hopping on the bs band wagon here ? Know your facts . Did you read the study ?
:bsflag:

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you for real ? Are you hopping on the bs band wagon here ? Know your facts . Did you read the study ?
:bsflag:
Definitely a major facepalm

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BS bandwagon? So, it's false that GW research was discontinued? Source?
I think you need to catch up on some of the gw studies before you make such rediculous comments

IronMind

Awards
I think you need to catch up on some of the gw studies before you make such rediculous comments
I asked for a source. I'm posting my opinion on using something that was abandoned due to cancer causing effects in animals. If I am wrong, please provide proof so that I can edit my post and move along. Thanks!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
I asked for a source. I'm posting what I know so no one gets cancer. If I am wrong, please provide proof so that I can edit my post and move along. Thanks!
When i get off work ill find it . Until then realize that humans and mice are a different genetic material .

Status
Not open for further replies.