Beta Blockers on Cycle

Ruthless33

Awards
22 years old 185lbs roughly 10-12%bf.
Roughly 3 years of hard training.
I'm currently prescribed cozaar 50mg ED, and propranolol at 20 mg ED. Blood pressure and migraines.

Anyone with knowledge as to how a beta blocker will affect a cycle?

Should I have any problems with cardio?

Any extra precautions to take besides watching out for BP spikes?

Any other information would be appreciated!

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I take coreg 12.5 mg twice a day while on cycle and have no problems. I only take this while on cycle though so I can't tell you too much other than cardio and is no problem and just keep a close eye on your bp while cycling

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It should do its job and keep your blood pressure low. Oh, and also mutate your DNA.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
I'm on metoprolol which is very similar to propranolol (metoprolol has a longer half life). I've haven't had any BP problems cycling test. Had a few BP spikes when I was on SARMs in between cycles (ostarine mostly), and also when I used albuterol. They usually passed quickly and went away if I just sat or layed down and chilled out for an hour so. I would say get a cuff, check yourself frequently and learn the way your body feels when your BP is elevated. Other thing that helped me, and this may be total bro science was creatine nitrate PWO, enhanced pumps and felt like it lowered my BP even more. What is your BP like normally? (when you are taking your meds)

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
^Matthersby. What do you mean mutate your DNA? beta blocker mutating DNA? ....also @ Ruthless. I'm not sure why your doc prescribed u propranolol for HBP, it's not normally used for that anymore..although its great for public speaking and eliminating any physical symptoms due to over sensitive fight or flight adrenaline response in unnecessary situations. I also take propranolol during semesters but for HBP and public speaking because I also take adderall and gear while forced to do presentations in front of lectures etc..I've had no problems with it, just don't take close to training imo or your energy will be lower and it will effect fat burning ability due to blocked beta receptors where EPI/NE want to bind! ..obviously this is highly dosage dependent i wouldn't worry talk to ur doc

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If your body still gets over 130/80, add some coq10 and arginine AKG.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
@ universal: I also frequently use adderall XR 20mg about an hour preworkout, gives me insane focus in the gym, but sometimes I have to take some extra effort to remember to eat after lol. But I can't imagine that it would be good to take in a high stress situation if you are self conscious/don't like public speaking.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
^ I feel you. I personally don't like to take my adderall close to the gym I feel it makes me weaker and gives me less of a pump due to vasoconstriction and blood flow being concentrated more to my brain. But with that said when i do go with adderall still lingering in my system, yes, the workout is insane and ppl think I'm insane lol. I'm not self conscious I could give two ****s, but its just a thing I have with public speaking alone, its odd, no other situations do I require beta blockers. It just allows me to speak with ease and formulate my thoughts at a good pace, it relieves that added pressure! I know many students who also hate public speaking.

Didn't mean to jack this thread!

Ruthless33

Awards
I'm mainly on the propranolol for migraines with the intent to also help BP. Even on the two meds I've never really seen below 135/80.

Did notice cardio is awful on this though.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
Yeah when I first started taking beta blockers cardio (which i already hated) was really rough, but you get used to it to some degree. I switched from fasted jogging first thing every morning to short HIIT style 5 times a week later in the day and that was easier for me. Oh and stay away from orals if you can, I would definitely think twice before taking something like d bol or epi if your normal bp is that high.

Ruthless33

Awards
Yeah when I first started taking beta blockers cardio (which i already hated) was really rough, but you get used to it to some degree. I switched from fasted jogging first thing every morning to short HIIT style 5 times a week later in the day and that was easier for me. Oh and stay away from orals if you can, I would definitely think twice before taking something like d bol or epi if your normal bp is that high.
I have quite a few bottles of EPI still sitting around.

If ran what would you suggest?
Up the prescription meds?
Or just make sure I'm set on cycle support Hawthorne berry, etc and monitor closely?

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have quite a few bottles of EPI still sitting around.

If ran what would you suggest?
Up the prescription meds?
Or just make sure I'm set on cycle support Hawthorne berry, etc and monitor closely?
My bp runs about the same as yours normally. When I cycle I usually bump my dose of coreg from 12.5 mg to 25 mg a day and keep a close monitor on my bp. Usually goes back down near the end of pct and I can drop my dose. I am in no way saying you should just double your meds, simply saying that is what works for me

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I usually take bystolic since my high bp is thyroid related. I just run a slew of supps alongside it when on cycle. I don't notice a huge difference with Hawthorne, but use it anyway. High dosed coq10 and arginine akg. Potassium nitrate and a little aspirin help too. I truly believe a lot of guys could control prehypertensive bp year round with these supps.

uprightrows

Awards
  • Established
Close monitoring is always the best policy, and of course use support if you go with orals, baby aspirin is a nice addition as well. I only fooled around with epi once and I definitely had noticeable bp increases at 40mg, ended up going even higher and honestly for me it was not worth it. I used it as a 1/2 assed oral kick start to a real cycle and did not miss it one bit once the real gear started working. I don't think you should up your meds without consulting your Dr. and upping your dose might make cardio more problematic, but I'm not sure if that is a priority for you.