BLOODWORK! 10nmol/L Testosterone at 21?!?!???

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
Hi guys, so im planning to start my first cycle next week and i went to the doc to check my bloodtests. Everything came back fine except for my Testosterone which was at 10 nmol/L! The range is 8.3-29 so my doc said i am fine but that range isnt relative to my young age, only 21. Should i be worried? What are my options? Thanks guys

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Hi guys, so im planning to start my first cycle next week and i went to the doc to check my bloodtests. Everything came back fine except for my Testosterone which was at 10 nmol/L! The range is 8.3-29 so my doc said i am fine but that range isnt relative to my young age, only 21. Should i be worried? What are my options? Thanks guys
What were LH and Fsh?

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
Found out when he revealed my results that he didnt get those checked and only did my Test. so i requested to take another blood test and check the lh, free test and estradiol aswell, ill be taking it tomorrow.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
Watch layne nortons YouTube video about differences in natural hormone levels.

He has a pretty good example and uses a diagram that's easy to understand.

Basic point is that as long as you are within the normal range you are fine and most people will not see a change if they go up but remain in the normal range.
For example a guy with 300 test doesn't build muscle 3x slower than a guy with 900 test.
There's other things to consider like bound test vs free test and test to estro ratio, etc

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
Watch layne nortons YouTube video about differences in natural hormone levels.

He has a pretty good example and uses a diagram that's easy to understand.

Basic point is that as long as you are within the normal range you are fine and most people will not see a change if they go up but remain in the normal range.
For example a guy with 300 test doesn't build muscle 3x slower than a guy with 900 test.
There's other things to consider like bound test vs free test and test to estro ratio, etc
Hmmm i just watched Layne's video and it certainly was interesting and eased my concerns a bit. My concern is whether its okay i get on my halodrol cycle next week with a low testosterone that i have, would you recommend i still go through with it? Also ill have my free test, estradiol and lh tested tomorrow seeing as my doc didnt request them with my initial blood test. Maybe they can help give some insight on everything.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
i would definitely wait until you get this situation figured out before running a cycle

Hard.Gainer

Hard.Gainer

Awards
As you said, NORMAL range is 8.3-29 and you're within that range. So you're normal. Even being on the low side of normal, you're still normal.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
There is no situation, he is in the normal range.
he is on the very edge of being low, and he said hes getting more tests. He should wait until his results come back

Turbo6GN

Turbo6GN

Awards
he is on the very edge of being low, and he said hes getting more tests. He should wait until his results come back
Not a bad idea of course but people should be concerned with symptoms and not a number gleaned from a single blood draw. Your point is well taken though.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The range is set up for 18 (or 23 in some labs) to 80 years old. Yes, it is in normal range, but do you want test levels of a 70 year old man? I sure as hell wouldn't and would follow up to determine what may be causing this. It can be lifestyle issues, sleep, stress, diet, time of day the test was taken, etc.. Get a full hormone panel done as a baseline.

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
I agree with kisaj. Being in the normal range for a 90 y.o. male, is not normal at 21. Sure the bottom range might be fine for a 90 y.o. man who sits on a couch all day in a rest home lol, but certainly not a 21 y.o. bodybuilder who works out, plays sports and still needs enough test to get his willy up. Lumping all ages into the same catagory, averaging their test levels and using an elderly mans test level to say a 21 y.o. is normal, is BEYOND retarded!

Turbo6GN

Turbo6GN

Awards
The range is set up for 18 (or 23 in some labs) to 80 years old. Yes, it is in normal range, but do you want test levels of a 70 year old man? I sure as hell wouldn't and would follow up to determine what may be causing this. It can be lifestyle issues, sleep, stress, diet, time of day the test was taken, etc.. Get a full hormone panel done as a baseline.
It has nothing to do with a number, it's how you feel. If nobody told you what your "number" was would you arbitrarily say you feel bad or think you have low levels?? I'm 40 years old with 2 kids and I'm a shift worker who gets awful sleep. I feel pretty damn good though but I bet my "number" is on the low side. If you listen to half of the guys on this board then I should be begging my doctor for TRT but I don't think that's the case. All I'm saying is don't get caught up in a number.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It has nothing to do with a number, it's how you feel. If nobody told you what your "number" was would you arbitrarily say you feel bad or think you have low levels?? I'm 40 years old with 2 kids and I'm a shift worker who gets awful sleep. I feel pretty damn good though but I bet my "number" is on the low side. If you listen to half of the guys on this board then I should be begging my doctor for TRT but I don't think that's the case. All I'm saying is don't get caught up in a number.
I agree with that to a degree. Symptoms are very important, but more so when you age as numbers are expected to drop. At 21, it is important to know why it's low.

Turbo6GN

Turbo6GN

Awards
I've had lengthy conversations with my doctor and he kind of laughs at the TRT craze, you can have a guy with upper range levels who feels like garbage and vice versa. The "number" on a single blood draw doesn't mean much but guys get freaked out and convince themselves they need test shots for life in their 20's just because they see a test result they don't like, regardless of how they feel or if they plow broads left, right and center. It's junk science run amok.

Turbo6GN

Turbo6GN

Awards
I agree with that to a degree. Symptoms are very important, but more so when you age as numbers are expected to drop. At 21, it is important to know why it's low.
For sure, but it's not abnormal or hypergonadic, it's just on the low side of the reference range. Not every guy who lifts weights is blessed with above average levels, as much as we want to believe we are alpha guys on the high end of the scale

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take a more proactive approach to things and don't just accept low normal things without further understanding.

Turbo6GN

Turbo6GN

Awards
I take a more proactive approach to things and don't just accept low normal things without further understanding.
Fair enough and I'm not trying to get into a pissing match but you used the word "normal" yourself. Not everyone has high levels by some divine intervention.

Guys need to accept that sometimes it's just how it is. "Low" levels doesn't mean you can't have a good physique or plow broads or be an "alpha" type. TRT is an industry, don't forget that.

anabolix

Awards
  • Established
I agree with treating symptoms in conjunction with test levels, but no 21 y.o. is going to feel good with the average test level of an inactive 80 y.o. Yes everyone has different levels genetically and some will feel better than others with low T, however no kid is going to feel good with their test dribbling out like an elderly man. Thats why we have trt :)...obviously not saying everyone should be on trt, especially younger guys.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I also believe that "normal" is relative to each person.

Example A
Age 21: test level of 1000 range 335-1100
Age 50: test level 500 range 335-1100
Still normal
Age 65: test level 250 range 335-1100 start TRT

Example B
Age 21: test level 800
Age 50: test level 400

The drop is 50% in both examples, but does that tell us for certain that example A will grow more than example B at both ages, 21 and 50? Or that the 21 year old Example A will grow over twice as fast as the 50 year old example B?
No. There's more factors than just the "total test" level.

Like some advice said before. A full hormone panel is a great idea.

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
I agree with treating symptoms in conjunction with test levels, but no 21 y.o. is going to feel good with the average test level of an inactive 80 y.o. Yes everyone has different levels genetically and some will feel better than others with low T, however no kid is going to feel good with their test dribbling out like an elderly man. Thats why we have trt :)...obviously not saying everyone should be on trt, especially younger guys.
What about an example like this:

Example A
25 yrs 1000 test
50 years 750 test (25% decrease)

Example B
25 yrs 800 test
50 years 640 test (20% decrease)

Who would "feel" worse or "feel" a greater degree of difference?

Is it A because he lost a greater % of test?
Or is it B because his level is lower regardless of his smaller % decrease?

Honestly I don't know the answer myself! Just asking questions to get people thinking.
I believe that levels of free test and the test:estro ratio are also important numbers to have. Along with LH / FSH.

The best way for OP to go about it is to get full bloods done as a baseline.
If he wants to start hdrol after, fine, that's his choice. Let's say he decides 6 weeks of hdrol. I'd just suggest getting blood work done precycle (baseline) mid cycle (4th week) and 2-3 weeks AFTER pct to check level of recovery.

Compare recovery level to baseline.

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
Okay so i went in again to the doctors but went to see a different one so i could get a second opnion on the low test level. The new doc said that im fine and only if its was below 8 then he'd look further into it. I havent had the other test done yet to check my free test, lh and estradiol but i will do that probably on Saturday and get my results Tuesday or Wednesday. Unfortunately i have to pay the full price for this upcoming test because my first doctor didnt see a need for it but i still said i wanted it so yeah he said it'll cost $100-200!

Im thinking when i have my blood tests again after the 8 weeks of PCT for the cycle then ill just say i dont think my jimmy isnt working and they'll have to do a full test and then he'll have a reason to take the test and itll be free, just hope my jimmy actually doesnt go limp after the cycle lol but i got SERM ready, anti cortisol with Lean Extreme, Will be taking t-force and dermacrine on cycle and also have some DAA pct too :)

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH? So i was looking at the rest of my blood test and my Cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol is abnormally low and below the recommended range! I read online that this could negatively affect hormone levels and mood aswell so this might be the reason for my low test?

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
If you're in the US, google PrivateLabsMD.com. Might be cheaper than how your doing it. Might not. $200 for a full panel really ain't bad.

It wont be on your medical record though, if you go this route. Then you wont have a pre-existing condition if something were to be "off". Afaik.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH? So i was looking at the rest of my blood test and my Cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol is abnormally low and below the recommended range! I read online that this could negatively affect hormone levels and mood aswell so this might be the reason for my low test?
This can absolutely affect hormones and it goes back to my point about "normal". Your doc is telling you that everything is ok and normal, yet doesn't go over the fact that your cholesterol is below normal and how this can affect you.

Cholesterol is needed to make pregnenolone, which sits atop the hormone pathway and balances progesterone and DHEA and then moves down those two paths into estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, etc.. This plays into memory, mood, energy, libido, and overall health. It is good to have low LDL, but over all cholesterol should not be below normal. What is the range you are working with?

I would ignore anyone saying that these numbers are normal and to just keep trucking along and do your own homework. It is ridiculous to accept at your age that this is just how it is. I would also not plan on a cycle until this is resolved because what happens when it comes to PCT if you are barely in the normal levels now? In addition to a hormone panel, get a CBC as well.

If it is simply a matter of a one time test showing low results, then at least you know. But you owe it to yourself to determine that.

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
This can absolutely affect hormones and it goes back to my point about "normal". Your doc is telling you that everything is ok and normal, yet doesn't go over the fact that your cholesterol is below normal and how this can affect you.

Cholesterol is needed to make pregnenolone, which sits atop the hormone pathway and balances progesterone and DHEA and then moves down those two paths into estrogen, testosterone, cortisol, etc.. This plays into memory, mood, energy, libido, and overall health. It is good to have low LDL, but over all cholesterol should not be below normal. What is the range you are working with?

I would ignore anyone saying that these numbers are normal and to just keep trucking along and do your own homework. It is ridiculous to accept at your age that this is just how it is. I would also not plan on a cycle until this is resolved because what happens when it comes to PCT if you are barely in the normal levels now? In addition to a hormone panel, get a CBC as well.

If it is simply a matter of a one time test showing low results, then at least you know. But you owe it to yourself to determine that.
Thats exactly what ive been reading too! I think this might be the culprit for all the problems with my test levels, mood (minor depression), libido (erections arnt as hard), lethargy (i nap at least once a day) etc etc. My total cholesterol is at 3nmol/L which equates to 115mg/dL. The normal range is 3.5-5.4 which shows how low my level is. Im going in to visit my third doctor in a week, on Monday and bring this cholesterol issue with her and see what see says. What do you think about my level? I really do believe this could be the reason for the low test and the doctors who just overlooked it are just stupid in my opinion

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now we are dealing with symptoms and why you need a CBC along with hormone panel. Test can certainly be in play and it could be related to cholesterol or something else. That's between you and the doc.

I just want to emphasize not to just take their word and question them and research. You need to be proactive with your health because nobody is going to care more than you.

bennoes

bennoes

Awards
Now we are dealing with symptoms and why you need a CBC along with hormone panel. Test can certainly be in play and it could be related to cholesterol or something else. That's between you and the doc.

I just want to emphasize not to just take their word and question them and research. You need to be proactive with your health because nobody is going to care more than you.
I totally agree with being proactive. First doctor i saw on Tuesday said my test is fine and said everything else on the bloodwork was fine, didnt even mention the low cholesterol! he said im good to go. Second doctor just yesterday i told him im concerned about the low test, he said it was fine and i told him about my minor depression which could have resulted from low test but he straight away put me on some anti depressants without much thought instead of doing more tests or mentioning the cholesterol. I didnt even want any meds! I swear some doctors dont even give a proper **** aye.

These past few days ive done heaps of my own research and ive booked in another appointment with a third doctor for Monday, ill explain the sides, my research and explanation for it all, and see what she says.