Diet on cycle

alex25

Awards
Hey all, I've only done a cycle of halo a couple of months ago and had a question concerning diet while I plan for my next cycle around August.

When on cycle, I think it's reasonable to adjust your diet to take as much advantage of the anabolic steroid as possible within reason with regards to fat gain. Without taking anything, cutting is a pain in the ass, but I've never had issues with strength loss as long as I cut slowly. On the other hand, you're always going to be limited when you're trying to gain muscle.

A friend and I tried out halo with keeping calories about 500 above maintenance. After PCT, we both agreed that there was pretty much a recomp effect, some modest gains in size, modest fat loss, and definite gain in strength. I'm guessing that the steroid effectively raised our maintenance calories so we didn't eat at much of a surplus.

I never want to go out on a dreamer bulk or anything, but I'm not concerned with fat loss while I'm on cycle. I've decided on trying out DMZ-15 at 30 mg/day. This leads me to my question:

In your experiences, what has been a caloric surplus range you guys have tried while on a bulking cycle that you've felt has had minimal fat gain, but not necessarily fat loss? Pretty much just looking for a range that'll give the steroid something to work with without putting on fat.

Mystere3

Awards
500-750 surplus, up to 1k, just keep it clean.

stann123

stann123

Awards
500-750 surplus, up to 1k, just keep it clean.
keeping is clean wont make much of a difference if you meet your macros for the day. What defines a "clean" food anyways?

Mystere3

Awards
Of course it matters. There's a ton of evidence discussing quality of calories rather than quantity.

Low glycemic index slowly digestible carbs in the AM, protein throughout, cla, omega-3 fats, lots of veggies and fiber.

You could meet your macros with protein shakes, high fructose corn syrup and lard, but that wouldn't be good for your nutrition or training.

omar924

Awards
Its calories in vs calories out. If it fits your macros is whats important in my opinion.

alex25

Awards
Calories in vs calories out is a good rule of thumb for when you're off cycle, but it can't be as simple as that on cycle, just consider how many people shed fat and gain strength on tren with a caloric surplus to give an example.

If I had been eating at a 500 caloric surplus naturally instead of on halo, I'd be willing to bet that I would have gained quite a bit more fat. I'm willing to admit the possibility that the increase in muscle while on halo might have led to the current fat I had before cycle being better hidden or something, but either way I find it hard to believe it could be as simple as calories in and calories out. I've been wrong before though, so I'm willing to hear other explanations.

(Obviously calories in vs calories out will still hold on cycle if you stretch to a large deficit or a huge surplus, but I'm talking within moderation here)

Anyways, as for eating "clean", I've gotten used to eating relatively clean out of habit to the point where I kind of crave those foods anyways. My diet is sort of a mix between IIFYM and clean eating, where I just care about filling macronutrient needs corresponding to my goals but with the addition of trying to get in fiber with every meal.

omar924

Awards
Calories in vs calories out is a good rule of thumb for when you're off cycle, but it can't be as simple as that on cycle, just consider how many people shed fat and gain strength on tren with a caloric surplus to give an example.

If I had been eating at a 500 caloric surplus naturally instead of on halo, I'd be willing to bet that I would have gained quite a bit more fat. I'm willing to admit the possibility that the increase in muscle while on halo might have led to the current fat I had before cycle being better hidden or something, but either way I find it hard to believe it could be as simple as calories in and calories out. I've been wrong before though, so I'm willing to hear other explanations.

(Obviously calories in vs calories out will still hold on cycle if you stretch to a large deficit or a huge surplus, but I'm talking within moderation here)

Anyways, as for eating "clean", I've gotten used to eating relatively clean out of habit to the point where I kind of crave those foods anyways. My diet is sort of a mix between IIFYM and clean eating, where I just care about filling macronutrient needs corresponding to my goals but with the addition of trying to get in fiber with every meal.
Ive actually never actually been "on" so your probably right. Im currently putting together my first cycle but plan to follow iifym. I have always had great results with simply tracking my calories and macros. In my opinion your body is like one of those coin machines that counts your money. the machine doesn't care how "shiny" the coins are, it just knows quarters, dimes, pennies. Your body knows carbs, proteins, and fats, and disregarding micronutrients, thats all that matters. Again this is all my two cents.