Getting sick mid 1st cycle - advice please

bonesaw14

Awards
I was running epi 2a3a at 30/30/30/40/40/40. I was just about to start my first week of 40's and was really enjoying my strength gains and I've come down with a nasty cold or something (starting 3/25). Normally when I feel a cold coming on I take one or two days off the gym and it passes. I'd just hit two huge PR's I decided to continue with 30/day and take two days off the gym til the cold passed.

Its now been over a week, I've only been to the gym twice and both were light days and I still feel like ****. I caved and went to the doc's and they said it was just a common cold, no cough but lots of sinus pressure and mucus. It just seemed more intense to me, don't know if the epi is making it worse. I dropped my dosage to 20/day the last three days because I felt I was wasting them. I've continued taking all my cycle supports and added in even more vitamin C.

How do people normally deal with sickness right in the middle of a cycle?
I really don't want to call it and start my pct early but I can't remember a cold hitting me this hard in a long time.

Could I possibly keep my epi dosage a bit lower til I've healed then get back on track start the 40's and just go for 2 weeks instead of 3?
That would make my total cycle a little over 7 weeks with about a week and a half with epi at 20/day.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
IMO, Anabolics can definitely contribute to getting a virus. Whether it is the mysterious "test flu" or because it weakens the immune system..I don't know but I have experienced too many "colds" during cycles for it to be a coincidence.

I'd take a pause in your cycle or just bag it and start PCT.

bonesaw14

Awards
By take a pause do you means completely stop taking the epi for a few days? I'd prefer to do that over anything if I can, I just figured it would shut my body down too much just stopping cold.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I meant stop taking it until you feel better. If you bounce back after a day or two..fire the cycle back up. If you don't feel better within a few days...bag it and start pct. A few days between the cycle and pct isn't that big of deal..It's not like you'll get more shut down.

weownyourbses

Awards
Was just sick last week mid cycle, it sucked. Just forced myself to go to the gym and did what I could do without missing a day. Sitting in the Sauna after seemed to help a little.

bonesaw14

Awards
Was just sick last week mid cycle, it sucked. Just forced myself to go to the gym and did what I could do without missing a day. Sitting in the Sauna after seemed to help a little.
Ya I took two light days and sat in the steam room which is normally all it takes, but it wasn't cutting it this time

bonesaw14

Awards
Yes, I meant stop taking it until you feel better. If you bounce back after a day or two..fire the cycle back up. If you don't feel better within a few days...bag it and start pct. A few days between the cycle and pct isn't that big of deal..It's not like you'll get more shut down.
Thanks, I'll stop taking the epi completely until Sunday and if I still don't feel well I'll start my pct

bomb

Awards
isnt it even more dangerous to workout when you are sick ?

i mean beeing sick->workout + anabolics = heart disease ?

stillchillin

Awards
Tbh I just finished a cycle exact same compound 2a3a 20/30/40/40/40 3rd week I got sick I'm one week into pct and I'm still sick as ****. Lost around 5 lbs on cycle after gaining 12 I gained 3 back before the end now I'm hovering around 176. Total shut down btw, balls ain't work in dick ain't working. Taking 50/25/25/25 nolvadex dosed at 25mg per dose. And double dragon 350 pct twice daily.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ironically, I'm not on cycle..but also sick as ****. Freakin awful flu or adenovirus has kicked my butt up and down the block all week and is now basically viral pneumonia. Needless to say..not working out.

bonesaw14

Awards
I'm feeling better today since its been almost two weeks since I got sick so I'm gonna start back up at 30 today then 40/day for the next two weeks. Won't be back in the gym til tomorrow and I'll decide to carry on with the plan or start pct Monday morning depending on how I feel. My doc said this same sickness took her 2.5 weeks and a lady at work's daughter is going on 3 weeks. The epi didn't do my immune system any favors and I think it's a bad bug going around where I live.

For pct I was planning:
nolva: 20/20/10/10
erase: 0/0/3/2/1
pct 3x vital labs: 4/day

Hoping not to shut down too hard, I thought this would be enough to cover it.

Sorry about the pneumonia, scary stuff, get better man.

Mosesport

Mosesport

Awards
I got sick about 3 weeks into my first cycle too. Seems to be pretty common. I'm willing to bet it's a combination of things. Spending more time in the gym. Huge hormone changes. The body goes into survival mode, and the immune system is probably going haywire. I had to cut my cycle short, unfortunately.

stillchillin

Awards
My plan is to quit what I was doing a lot of high volume going for the pump. I took a few days off now I'm kinda doing 5x5 but I'm doing all 6 workouts instead of 3 but still only going 3x a week. Got 2 more weeks of pct then I'm gonna stay off for 9 weeks, cycle + pct is 9 weeks total. I got an 8 week cycle of msten all ready to go by then I will switch back to hitting everything twice a week. For the time being I'm trying to focus on recovery, strength and bulking up I cut weight real easy whether on or off cycle so getting a lil chunky isn't an issue.

bonesaw14

Awards
Ya I think I just expected too much out of the epi, I was doing way more volume than I'm use to and taking most sets to failure. I'll probably run another epi cycle at the end of the summer and hopefully make it run more smoothly by controlling my volume and sets to failure. Its just hard to control yourself when you're making such crazy strength gains.

I went to the gym today and still feel pretty good so I think I'm over the worst of it and should be able to finish my next two weeks at 40/day.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
Ya I think I just expected too much out of the epi, I was doing way more volume than I'm use to and taking most sets to failure. I'll probably run another epi cycle at the end of the summer and hopefully make it run more smoothly by controlling my volume and sets to failure. Its just hard to control yourself when you're making such crazy strength gains.

I went to the gym today and still feel pretty good so I think I'm over the worst of it and should be able to finish my next two weeks at 40/day.
If you weren't getting sides at 40 and you wanted more than you where getting in gains you up it to 50. You can almost always up the dose, but you must understand it comes with risks.
I also believe there is no such thing as overtraining on gear. Rich piana agrees ;) but its a debate I don't want to have right now lol

JD261985

Banned
Awards
So do you guys usually mega dose vitamin c and zinc during cycles? Wouldn't be a bad idea to have cold eeze on hand I guess lol

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
So do you guys usually mega dose vitamin c and zinc during cycles? Wouldn't be a bad idea to have cold eeze on hand I guess lol
I haven't, but its smart to do so I guess!! Maybe ill start ;)

bonesaw14

Awards
I didn't start mega dosing vitamin C and zinc until I started feeling sick, I'll be doing it from the start of my next cycle

Mosesport

Mosesport

Awards
Be careful with the vitamin c. Read a book not too long ago that cited studies showing that increasing vitamin c intake during intense lifting periods actually inhibits muscle growth. I believe the book was "Which Comes First: Cardio or Weights?" Lots of good info.

Also read an article online today that explains why the immune system takes a beating while cycling anabolics. Apparently, AASs suppress cortisol, and cortisol suppresses the immune system, so the theory is that once your cortisol is no longer being suppressed toward the end / at the end of a cycle, it is re-introduced into your system at a higher saturation than before your cycle, so your immune system functions at less than half of its peak performance, which leaves you a a higher risk for getting sick. There are studies you can read about that explain it better than I'm able to.

jflow87

Awards
Super helpful thread, I have a largely non-existent immune system and am wrapping up week 1 of my first cycle (epi). Knew it weakend immune system so I was anticipating this....nice to know how people deal with this.

Hope you feel better dude and finish strong!!

Mystere3

Awards
8 weeks of msten??? Good bye liver.

QUOTE=stillchillin;4432646]My plan is to quit what I was doing a lot of high volume going for the pump. I took a few days off now I'm kinda doing 5x5 but I'm doing all 6 workouts instead of 3 but still only going 3x a week. Got 2 more weeks of pct then I'm gonna stay off for 9 weeks, cycle + pct is 9 weeks total. I got an 8 week cycle of msten all ready to go by then I will switch back to hitting everything twice a week. For the time being I'm trying to focus on recovery, strength and bulking up I cut weight real easy whether on or off cycle so getting a lil chunky isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

bonesaw14

Awards
Super helpful thread, I have a largely non-existent immune system and am wrapping up week 1 of my first cycle (epi). Knew it weakend immune system so I was anticipating this....nice to know how people deal with this.

Hope you feel better dude and finish strong!!
To update you, I was last in the gym 4/6 and felt great after but Monday morning was awful so I just threw in the towel and started my pct. I was wasting my time and epi trying to force it.

I wish I could offer better advice but its only my first cycle and it was definitely a failure. If I could do it again I would eat way more, I was eating maintenance level calories while hitting huge PRs every time I went in the gym, I should have seen a brick wall coming. I was expecting the epi to cover me on the recovery but it was a mistake not to eat way more.

stillchillin

Awards
I got enough for an 8 week cycle prolly won't run it 8 weeks more like 6 weeks. I'm still working out the dosage

Mosesport

Mosesport

Awards
To update you, I was last in the gym 4/6 and felt great after but Monday morning was awful so I just threw in the towel and started my pct. I was wasting my time and epi trying to force it. I wish I could offer better advice but its only my first cycle and it was definitely a failure. If I could do it again I would eat way more, I was eating maintenance level calories while hitting huge PRs every time I went in the gym, I should have seen a brick wall coming. I was expecting the epi to cover me on the recovery but it was a mistake not to eat way more.
At least you know your limits, and you know when to stop pushing yourself. That's super important.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 36
Jinsun Anabolics 13
Nutrition / Health 30
liftandeat Anabolics 4
Anabolics 2