Hypertension meds on cycle?

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
Does anyone use prescription hypertension meds with their cycles? Do they work? Are there sides? Which medications are most effective or liked on here? Shouldn't they always be used?

I'm on my 8th wk of Turinabol only @ 40mg...I'm thinking about transitioning onto a test then var cycle but I'm worried about my blood pressure because I'm currently taking 10mg of adderal IR from time to time for exams..also preworkout, I try to space them apart.

I'm running cycle assist for bp now.

Mystere3

Awards
Yes, I personally do use them.

Lisinopril 5 mg or hctz 25 mg are good choices. Sides are rare but you should make sure your water intake is sufficient. Don't dose more than that at least initially. If it's not sufficiently controlling bp you can move up a lil.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
Sweet thanks man I'm asking my doc for a script asap

Mystere3

Awards
chlorithalidone (hygroton) would be the best option if you're getting a script. Get 25 mg. It treats htn the best and has essentially no side effects. Like hctz it's a diuretic so it'll prevent water retention; you will have to drink a bit more water than usual as I said before.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
Ok thanks for the info. I just did a quick search on Hygroton it has a lot of pros to it...I read because its a diuretic it can excrete your electrolytes or prevent uptake of electrolytes like potassium or something? and potential kidney toxicity? I'm guessing this is just a possible side effect they are required to list but how do you deal with this?

Mystere3

Awards
Usually at low doses (25 mg) the potassium isn't an issue, but to be on the safe side you can take 10 meq/day K if you want. Kidney issues aren't typically an issue in healthy ppl, but any diuretic makes your kidneys work harder, so if you have poor kidney function it can make it worse. Keep in mind most ppl are intended to take these meds forever and you're taking them only while on cycle so the chances of chronic problems are rare.

Lisinopril is good too but can cause a cough in some ppl and also affects the kidneys. In general chlorithalidone is one of the best tolerated medicines out there and it's the most effective for lowering bp. It only recently became generic so it's been prescribed much more of late.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
True that makes sense. I'm going with the chlorithalidone @ 25mg..great info. thanks mystere3

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, if you need hypertension meds to control bp on cycle you have some other health issues to deal with, and probably shouldn't be using aas.

Mystere3

Awards
I'd agree that you shouldn't take AAS if you have htn while not on cycle.

Some ppl get blood pressure spikes only while on, though. Saying you shouldn't take meds to control BP is like saying you shouldn't take an AI to control gyno. High blood pressure is a side effect of the AAS just like gyno is.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bp if your healthy won't get out of pre hypertension ranges even on harsh compounds like m1t an sd.

Now, if your stacking redonkulous high dosages of injectables, it could be an issue.

But 40mg of tbol even with amphetamines and caffeine shouldn't put a healthy adult male into high bp.

Mystere3

Awards
Idk, I've seen ppl who run half marathons and are 23 spike into the 150-160s on epi or halo. I mostly take them to prevent crazy spikes during workouts. My resting bp while on is usually 130 or less, but I get more headaches while working out on cycle then when off and the bp meds help.

Btw the dude asking wanted to use test and var as well.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My resting hr while on pretty much n e oral from m1t to hdrol is 70-74bpm

134/70 is my typical on cycle bp, when running no supports.

Mystere3

Awards
Are you talking about HR?

Normal bp is 120 mm Hg systolic / 80 mm Hg diastolic.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If he's been on for 8 weeks, there is no point on continuing besides addiction.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you talking about HR?

Normal bp is 120 mm Hg systolic / 80 mm Hg diastolic.
Fixed
Normal? Normal for who? Healthy is 120/60 60bpm

My normal bp is in that range
Around 120's sys an 60's for dia

Mystere3

Awards
Normal bp for anyone is 120/80 with hr 60.

Anything over 120/80 is prehypertension, anything over 140/90 is hypertension. People typically use the systolic number although one could argue the diastolic may be more important.

That's sort of an arbitrary guideline, though, as in reality we'd never do anything about someone with bp 121/81 or whatever. Typically even bp in the low hypertensive range is treated with diet/exercise and lifestyle modification anyways before starting meds.

That being said in my experience it's easy for healthy ppl to have very high bp on AAS. My buddy had bp in the 160s on epi and is very healthy with <10% bf and bp in the 100s/50s and resting HR in the high 40s off cycle.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I must be an exception.

Edit: went to look it up.

Normal is for regular people.

Athletes and those in good physical conditioning will have a bp in the low normal range of 120/60 area.

I cant speak for others but I am far from the "normal" people I train.
It's why I lift. Cause I don't want to be in the normal population.

Mystere3

Awards
In my experience in treating thousands of patients with hypertension many of those proclivities ARE genetic. This isn't an excuse like the obesity thing, there's ppl who run 6 mi a day and are shredded but have high or borderline bp. There's also morbidly obese ppl with bp of 90/50.

We don't understand all the factors that regulate blood pressure, as of yet.

I find it really interesting that a lot of BBs will take AAS and serms/AIs, clen, t3, etc with proven negative side effects, take who knows what from underground labs or supplement companies, yet have an aversion to taking medicines that have been shown to be the most benign with millions of ppl taking them.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't have a need for bp meds, that is why I don't take them. I didn't consider myself special in any sense, but I can agree on the genetic thing.

I still stand if you need bp meds on cycle, you probably shouldn't be using steroids.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my experience in treating thousands of patients with hypertension many of those proclivities ARE genetic. This isn't an excuse like the obesity thing, there's ppl who run 6 mi a day and are shredded but have high or borderline bp. There's also morbidly obese ppl with bp of 90/50.

We don't understand all the factors that regulate blood pressure, as of yet.

I find it really interesting that a lot of BBs will take AAS and serms/AIs, clen, t3, etc with proven negative side effects, take who knows what from underground labs or supplement companies, yet have an aversion to taking medicines that have been shown to be the most benign with millions of ppl taking them.
Yeah, when I was 17 I was 5'10 ~150 pounds. Ran track, played football, and was in very good physical condition.

Failed my physical because my BP was something like 135/87. It was always tough to pass physicals throughout high school because it was always in that range (even at 15).

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
I am the OP. I'm 25 and healthy. I have 10% bf. But yes my bp seems to spike when dosing tbol (10mg 4x a day but it is the 8th wk). I also feel it spike when I take my daily 10mg adderall and pre-workout assault too. This bp spiking is expected of both tbol, adderal, and preworkouts then going onto a pct would also elevate bp. Which is why I figured having a temporary bp med could only be beneficial during a longer cycle like mine. As for transitioning onto pct or another cycle of just test...I am not addicted or abusive of aas's and take many precautionary measures before, during, and post use along with lengthy recoveries..although I am addicted to the gym:( but value my health which is why I'm posting on here now! This would be my first ever transition onto test from a previous cycle (I would run the test at 250mg a wk then end with the var)..I don't really feel like stopping because I've made great progress with tbol and I don't want to have to start recovering during pct now while at school with fluctuating hormones (nolva, clomid, hcg etc)...I want to be the most ripped I've ever been this coming summer...Is this over kill? I'm already shut down from the tbol..

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is no point in using aas past 6-8 weeks.

Research it.

Universal23

Universal23

Awards
Haha I'm not arguing with you online so I respectfully disagree. But I find that to be an unscientific number (8wks for aas's is the absolute limit for cycles or they're ineffective?) Do you mind posting the study? If you search for something online your most likely going to find it but it doesn't mean its legitimate research.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha I'm not arguing with you online so I respectfully disagree. But I find that to be an unscientific number (8wks for aas's is the absolute limit for cycles or they're ineffective?) Do you mind posting the study? If you search for something online your most likely going to find it but it doesn't mean its legitimate research.
I guess I'm not as well known on the boards as I thought.
What about Patrick Arnold? Would his word hold n e more weight?
I have posted on this subject a number of times, as well as others. It's also well documented in the literature on supraphysiological dosages of anabolic/androgenic steroids. And don't forget to take into account the esters which make a steroid inactive until removed by enzymes in the blood when thinking v about the subject.
Orals though, are fully active upon ingestion
I'm on my phone, but when I get home, ill post the research, and statements from experts on the subject.
If you find it an post it first, ill put you back in the green.
Deal? :thumbsup:
( hint, google search cycle length Patrick Arnold or jbryand101b)