Cholesterol and AAS

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Cholesterol and AAS

I'm sure most of you have heard about Mike Matarazzo's heart surgery. He was only 39.
    Anyways recently my dad's brother had heart surgery as well. My family has a history of bad cholesterol (my grandma's is 300) and most of the males in the family have died of heart problems and high cholesterol. This has made me reconsider AAS use.
    Is there any way that one could prevent their cholesterol from becoming out of whack (besides diet) while on?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

outside of diet?

there are some supplements that you can take
    Policosanol
    ALA (debatable)
    most liver supplents will help a little.

for drugs lipitor and preferable crestor (was told that it is the best, for now)

I also like using fuzzybol ( Furazabol ). not only will it harden you up but it also lowers you cholesterol
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  243 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.34%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Nolvadex is also purported to positively effect blood lipids when used with aas. Also using things like femara which extremely lower estrogen levels can negatively effect lipids(as a byproduct of the lowered estrogen).
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.51%

the proportion of cholesterol is more important than the levels in most cases.
    I was diagnosed with heart disease at 28 years old and I NEVER took an anabolic or pro-hormone or steroid and I didn't eat particularly bad...and certainly not as bad as the "typical american diet"

I had a tri-glyceride problem, sometimes near 1500 (200 is normal). I didn't have a heart attack. they took care of the blockage 7 years ago with two stents and an angioplasty, put me on lipitor.

The Biggest help to me was prescription Niaspan (Niacin). At only half a gram a day it brough my good cholesterol way up. and that's always been my problem as far as the cholesterol goes.

For the triglycerides...I stopped eating simple sugars period...none...no white bread, no sugar, no sugary drinks...nothing with sugar in it. Everything is whole grain.

I've been clear since then and 6 months ago completed a mild tren/test cycle and kept constant watch on my cholesterol and triglycerides. It did lower my good cholesterol a bit. No more than a month ago I completed a cardio work up with my cardiologist...It was 7 percent BETTER than two years ago.

My personal opinion is that I think so long as you keep track and stay on top of their blood work (I have mine done every two months and if I ever run a cycle again, I will get it checked every month)...

what you put in is what you will get out...the rest is genetic and you can't control anyway.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99%

heh, my ratio on my last blood test was like 1.2:1, the doctor looked at my LDL and was surprised because the lab flagged it as abnormally LOW . Total was like 125 or so, vldl was 19, ldl was ~57, HDL was almost the same. 10g fish oil/day and very little saturated fat baby

If you have high cholesterol naturally I would be careful on the gear, lipitor or something similar in conjunction with some fish oil should be of benefit. keep your fat intake and particularly saturated fats low. Also, I would limit yourself to a single cycle a year or two short cycles, rather than the two cycles a year I think is ok for most people.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.45%

Thanks alot for the information my bros. Can't be to careful with this stuff
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.26%

before we blanket endorse all statins.......... the reader should be reminded of their hepatotoxicity and how that may related to liver damage and elevation of ALT, AST, GGT during times when their liver may already be under stress
    by other hepatotoxics.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.85%

Quote Originally Posted by crazydoc1
    before we blanket endorse all statins.......... the reader should be reminded of their hepatotoxicity and how that may related to liver damage and elevation of ALT, AST, GGT during times when their liver may already be under stress
    by other hepatotoxics.
    I agree, these should always be considered before starting statins, as my doc has done with me.

I did 2 12 week cycles last year (test/EQ/winny) and by Nov. of 2004 my levels were: LDL 36 and HDL 163, total 236.

My doc wanted to put me on a statin, but found my liver values were elevated (probably due to winny and some M1T just used). I was referred to a gastroenterologist, who did more blood work and an ultrasound of my liver. Everything check out fine for my liver after a few months of healing (just had the ultrasound done yesterday). I should be getting my new lipid blood work back this week, and will post it here.

My regimen for lowering cholesterol and liver help:
    garlic tabs 3x daily
    fish oil, 6 caps daily
    citrucel soluble fiber daily
    all whole grain or mulitgrain products

We'll see how it turns out this week. I read a study stating that researchers had found simply upping your intake of soluble fiber daily can as much as double results with statin use, which again leads me to believe many should really examine their daily fiber intake.

Whatever one does with AAS, please be sure to keep tabs on your liver and lipid levels, among other things (BP, pulse, etc).
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Good advice Jweave, but I think you got the LDL, and HDL levels mixed up.

10. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%

Death is even less sexy than sub-par developement...Dim
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.28%

i use red yeast rice which is supposedly a statin-like drug. will this raise liver enzymes also? i was unaware that statins raise liver enzymes and i am using a 17aa compound presently
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.02%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Here is some info.

Red Yeast Rice extract may cause muscle cramps, weakness and fatigue. These symptoms are likely due to the extracts inhibition of CoQ10 activity, and may be relieved by increasing the dosage of CoQ10. Red Yeast Rice extract may also cause significant elevations in liver enzymes in approximately 1% of those who take it. Red Yeast Rice extract should not be taken by those with a history of liver disease unless under the supervision of a physician. We suggest that the liver enzymes be monitored periodically

13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.26%

I recommend you read the prescribing paper for the statin your put on. Most suggest monitoring
    at 3 months of AST and ALT for elevations. Not all physicians are sufficiently responsible when it comes to this follow-up lab work... and ideally a baseline to start from... (opinion)..

Lipitor's prescribing paper cites 3x the upper limit reference range for AST or ALT as reason to d/c or reduce dosage. Personally I would be very troubled by a mere doubling of the AST or ALT from the upper threshold... Its very common to hop through different statins on a patient until you find one that is better tolerated.
    Also be aware of the subtle but potentially dangerous side of pragdymyolysis... where in rare cases membranes about muscle tissue cells break releasing toxins from the cells into circulation.

Statins are wonderful things but they are not 'perfect'. Despite these risk the use of statins in overwhelming in this country.....

Quote Originally Posted by s.norman
    i use red yeast rice which is supposedly a statin-like drug. will this raise liver enzymes also? i was unaware that statins raise liver enzymes and i am using a 17aa compound presently
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.51%

I stopped using the lipitor myself completely because my LDL was not high and lipitor doesn't do anything to raise my HDL ...I switched to Niaspan which...even though it too can raise liver issues ...I feel more comfortable with. It hits the my problem area specifically and it's not as hard on the liver.

Then there is of course with any statin drug the muscle wasting effects that can lead to other bad things like kidney failure....etc...

We all can agree it's something we need to stay on top of though.
  15. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.26%

Niaspan is good... relatively expensive... I use it personally in addition to a statin.......Are you taking 500mg or 1000mg ED ?... generally you'd start with the 500 and then move onto the 1g a week later once..

above 1g ED of niacin becomes hepatotoxic ... but up to 1g ED is not enough so to be concerned with..

Quote Originally Posted by FrTimothy
    I stopped using the lipitor myself completely because my LDL was not high and lipitor doesn't do anything to raise my HDL ...I switched to Niaspan which...even though it too can raise liver issues ...I feel more comfortable with. It hits the my problem area specifically and it's not as hard on the liver.

Then there is of course with any statin drug the muscle wasting effects that can lead to other bad things like kidney failure....etc...

We all can agree it's something we need to stay on top of though.
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.51%

still got me on half a gram...apparently that does the trick even on cycle.
  17. USA HOCKEY
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.24%

Just FYI I cut my cholestrol 82 pts with Red Yeast Rice in 60 days.
    200 to 118 i think it was.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.28%

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    Here is some info.

Red Yeast Rice extract may cause muscle cramps, weakness and fatigue. These symptoms are likely due to the extracts inhibition of CoQ10 activity, and may be relieved by increasing the dosage of CoQ10. Red Yeast Rice extract may also cause significant elevations in liver enzymes in approximately 1% of those who take it. Red Yeast Rice extract should not be taken by those with a history of liver disease unless under the supervision of a physician. We suggest that the liver enzymes be monitored periodically
    now that explains why i have been feeling very fatigued along with muscle cramps especially the lower back spasms. i will stop the red rice for a while and maybe get some coeq10
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.85%

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    Good advice Jweave, but I think you got the LDL, and HDL levels mixed up.
    woops, you're right

So my newest test results after this:

Total cholesterol: 199
    HDL: 41
    LDL: 125
    Triglycerides: 166

MUCH better thanks to some PCT, fiber, garlic, and diet... no statins
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.88%
    Achievements Posting Pro

deoudes- how much red yeast were you using?

Similar Forum Threads

1. 4ad and AAS testing
    By scotty2 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 06:21 AM
  2. IGF-1 and AAS
    By ruffneck in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 09:48 AM
  3. PH and AAS effects on emotions
    By badbart in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13