Why did you decide to hand in your natty card?

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
Just curious about your guys reasoning/story behind going enhanced? Was it for a competition? Your friends did it? Felt like it?

pillsRgood

pillsRgood

Awards
  • Established
Playing college football... much funner when you are bigger faster stronger than most you play against...incidentally steroid use also led to a blown out knee, since my tendons couldn't keep up w the muscle growth, so that sucked

Guido1983

Guido1983

Banned
Awards
Trained naturally for 5 years. Was sick of ****ty supplements when my friends were bowing up.

Now when I'm on. It's feels awesome. I feel better eat better **** better so now there is no stopping

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I hated my physique. Figure they'd make it better. Still hate my physique.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
lmao it reminded me of one of the broscience vids, dom was like "the day you started working out is the day you became forever small, cuz you will never be as big as you wana be"

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
Haven't got on steroids yet (haven't found a source I could trust), but my reasoning for wanting to is basically this:

I'm 25. I have about 5 years of youth until I'm expected to "settle down." I can spend 3+ years working out and achieve my natty max then, or I can do it in a year with AAS.

It's not like I am "natural" with a lot of things. I am completely in favor of, say, using caffeine or adderall to help studying, so it seems weird to be okay with this and not AAS.

But the biggest thing that made me disown any confidence I had in the "natty" label was when DMAA was banned from competitions and therefore people who took it could not be considered natural. The things that one considers "natural" seem arbitrary.

Anyway, yeah, those are my reasons as someone who is natural-but-not-for-long.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
I'm 25. I have about 5 years of youth until I'm expected to "settle down." I can spend 3+ years working out and achieve my natty max then, or I can do it in a year with AAS.
I'm in the same boat brother. And outside of skewed competition rules and such, I'm sure most of us consider being natural as not altering your hormones.

I'm not sure I truly buy into "genetic potential" even though I'm aware you can't attain a certain look without help. I'm nervous of the dependency I could form. I don't want to be "on" for life, but I also don't want to deal with the mental mind**** of pct.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just curious about your guys reasoning/story behind going enhanced? Was it for a competition? Your friends did it? Felt like it?
because I was too impatient to take the time to do it. my first cycle was just a testing for the stuff, when I saw the potential, I went all in and BOOM!. don't regret it, but do wish I had waited longer.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in the same boat brother. And outside of skewed competition rules and such, I'm sure most of us consider being natural as not altering your hormones.

I'm not sure I truly buy into "genetic potential" even though I'm aware you can't attain a certain look without help. I'm nervous of the dependency I could form. I don't want to be "on" for life, but I also don't want to deal with the mental mind**** of pct.
it is addicting mentally. cause when you are "on cycle" you feel like king kong (even though you know you aint the only one on) and that same feeling is damn near impossible to achieve naturally.

if you can get lucky an find the right combo of prob about 4-6 different supps, you could achieve it, but it still wont be constant like when you are on.

but it's tough to not want it all the time.

pro520roost

pro520roost

Awards
because I was too impatient to take the time to do it. my first cycle was just a testing for the stuff, when I saw the potential, I went all in and BOOM!. don't regret it, but do wish I had waited longer.
Pretty much sums it up for me

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm "natural" in that, my body makes testosterone, and then I add some extra. Doesn't fix any problems with my diet or training though. Anyways, I have no hate, but bragging "natty" is the same in bodybuilding as it is in childbearing. It makes no sense to me to brag your "natty" when there's an epidural and drugs 40 feet from you, just for the sake of bragging.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
I'm "natural" in that, my body makes testosterone, and then I add some extra. Doesn't fix any problems with my diet or training though. Anyways, I have no hate, but bragging "natty" is the same in bodybuilding as it is in childbearing. It makes no sense to me to brag your "natty" when there's an epidural and drugs 40 feet from you, just for the sake of bragging.
my fault man, really not trying to brag or anything, got nothing to brag about. just curious how people came to the conclusion it was time.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Generalized statement, bro. No disrespect to anyone that stays natural. I've just never had that 'pride' of all natural. I saw a way to make faster progress and had no second thoughts about it.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I plan to compete someday.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
My only competition is myself. But I definitely agree that there is no replacement for eating well and resting.
I will say some people call creatine un natural. So I've been unnatural for a while

I say as long as you're not an ass hole and/or mentally ill its your choice. Lets face it. Bad press around steroids involes sports and mentally ill people. Anger issues are not a mental illness nor can they make you put your hands on someone. Thats your choice too. This is me saying this as someone with anger issues.

Your body your rules. Afterall we bodybuilders choose to train. Nobody put a gun to our head.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Super skinny all my life so I started to lift after a rough breakup. Got great results but slooooowly came to realize genetics rule ALL... so it begins.

I'll never be considered "big" unless you knew me before, there's not enough steroids on planet earth. If you have skinny wrists and ankles, you get it. Most people say it doesn't matter and anyone can get big. Total bs and straight up toxic to tell some people that. Yes, I got big.... for a genetic beanpole.

So now I just want to be "big-ger"...

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So now I just want to be "big-ger"...
I'm big, but Imma be swole... walk sideways through doors.... -Pain and Gain.
I think you will enjoy your skinny wrists and ankles once you've got beefslabs for forearms and calves.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I think you will enjoy your skinny wrists and ankles once you've got beefslabs for forearms and calves.
Ha no doubt.

The flip side to my genetics is that when it comes time to cut I shed it like snakeskin if I'm strict. Vein city

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
i love drugs and i love working out. it just made sense.

i'm glad i did. since i started juicing, i stopped drinking (like i used to).

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm in total agreement w Slappy here. I only cycle 20% of the year and dream/read/think about cycling the other 80%. Better than boozing and pilling like I used to, especially done responsibly.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
That's a great point... Hard to notice that I don't even drink anymore or do any other drugs really, even still playing in a band.

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
I realized that being "natural" was somewhat arbitrary, and that my wants and desires were beyond reach naturally. I've spend years and thousands on supplements, I could cut cost and time in half with the sauce, and get better results. Still haven't touched any PH/AAS yet, but this bulk I'll be doing a PH run. I'm an ecto, I've ate and lifted my way up 40lbs since I started. I put my time in, now its time to get "real".

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
Another point, is that (as far as I know) AI/hormone modulators like aromisin and erase pro are "natural". I use those. When they become "banned" do I then become a "dirty" lifter? It all seems silly.

I want to be bigger, stronger and more aesthetic, the juice is just another tool in our arsenal (like dieting or compound exercises IMO)

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
how does this play in TRT as I age more and my T levels don't decrease?

napalm

napalm

Awards
Shortly after I started competing in the APF I realized I didn't stand a chance.....hello TRT...

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I was to impatient after a few years of lifting and got something not realizing what it actually was... I didn't care though once I found out I used it anyway and have cycled a few times since then. I don't regret it but as others have said I wish I had waited a bit longer.

kdeome

kdeome

Awards
My natural test is low/mid 400s but I'm too young for prescribed trt apparently.

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
Another point, is that (as far as I know) AI/hormone modulators like aromisin and erase pro are "natural". I use those. When they become "banned" do I then become a "dirty" lifter? It all seems silly.

I want to be bigger, stronger and more aesthetic, the juice is just another tool in our arsenal (like dieting or compound exercises IMO)
i don't know too many people who would claim that RX drugs are natty. just because you won't get popped on a test doesn't make it natural.

i think this brings up a good point though. where is the line of "natural" drawn? if you use a pre with a sh!t ton of stims, is that natural? i've got a friend that has some power lifting records (best in texas) and he literally consumes no supplements except protein. he is all about being natty. but i probably would too if i could bench 400 lbs.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
i don't know too many people who would claim that RX drugs are natty. just because you won't get popped on a test doesn't make it natural.

i think this brings up a good point though. where is the line of "natural" drawn? if you use a pre with a sh!t ton of stims, is that natural? i've got a friend that has some power lifting records (best in texas) and he literally consumes no supplements except protein. he is all about being natty. but i probably would too if i could bench 400 lbs.
Exactly, there is no line. Except for a "social" line. What you do to excel at your sport unnaturally is limited by your training, diet, knowledge, talent, etc. Does anyone care what Lance Armstrong did to win? Especially after finding out they couldn't give his title to the 2nd, 3rd or 4th place winners? I don't. Think about how seldom he was even able to get away with aas, doping, epo, etc. 5-10% of the time at best? The other 90% he was busy training harder than everyone else.... naturally. Same goes here. 20-30% of the time "unnatural" typically. This is a sport nobody really cares about and suspects aas use anyways. Trust me, nobody cares. I doubt anyone will come to my NPC show outside of immediate family/gf. If you want "real" natty, anything other than food is not natural. So I'm natural right now. Now November-January is a different story.....

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established

Some people just are strong! There's a family of 3 brothers and a dad where I live. The dad whom hasn't lifted in about a year, comes in and does 315 x 10+ one day and just leaves for another 4 months... like dang.

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
i have a really hard time remembering back to when i didn't want to used gear. i know there was a point when my opinion shifted from "opposed" to "in-favor", but i just can't remember when.

i guess it was when i started learning about steroids, that i was able to see them for what they really are. to me, they are nothing more than a tool like pre-workout or protein.

i can understand my friends stance on being natty, because he doesn't use any extra tools. but man, i know there will be a day that he will, and **** will get epic.

can you imagine what would happen to someone who can bench 400 lbs natty if they hopped on the tren train?

tinytony

tinytony

Awards
Yeah I think small diameter bones nake you look bigger.. as long as you dont have narrow shoulders and a big waste small bones play to any bodybuilders advantage. Think jay cutler versus phil heath. Jay is just wide from top to bottom while phil has big muacle bellies and little bones.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Juice or not, there is no substitute for good eating and hard training

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Some people just are strong! There's a family of 3 brothers and a dad where I live. The dad whom hasn't lifted in about a year, comes in and does 315 x 10+ one day and just leaves for another 4 months... like dang.
Blew my ****ing mind the other day. Dude was probably 15 years old really scrawny looked about 135 and he's repping out 8 reps on the incline bench with 225 no spot

Iceman72

Iceman72

Awards
Blew my ****ing mind the other day. Dude was probably 15 years old really scrawny looked about 135 and he's repping out 8 reps on the incline bench with 225 no spot
I know I got a buddy of mine who weighs 155 and he reps 235 on bench no problem... Now that's not a lot compared to my other buddy who's about my size (225-230) and easily reps 375 (dude is a MONSTER) but just from those two I agree genetics is a big part

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
Height has a tremendous amount to do with how much people lift, also.

I wish there was a mathematical formula to determine a height + weight comparison when performing a lift. I only bench 260 or so but if I were 6" shorter at the same weight I know I could put up 80+ more. Every inch makes a huge difference.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Playing college football... much funner when you are bigger faster stronger than most you play against...incidentally steroid use also led to a blown out knee, since my tendons couldn't keep up w the muscle growth, so that sucked

^^^ this. Put on a solid 15lbs of muscle summer of my senior year. Played at 225 and kept my speed and strength. Nothing like playing linebacker at 225 with increased testosterone and a screw loose upstairs. :)

Sigh..... I miss those days :(

tinytony

tinytony

Awards

I wish there was a mathematical formula to determine a height + weight comparison when performing a lift. I only bench 260 or so but if I were 6" shorter at the same weight I know I could put up 80+ more. Every inch makes a huge difference.
Yeah but short guys do half the work because the stroke is only 8 inches long.. I know some guys who are short and a little xhunky and can benchpress 260 and they dont work out but they have short arms compared to a lot of us so there's no glory in it.. id rather push it and do 400 at 5'11"

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yeah, but if you were six inches shorter AND the same weight you'd also be significantly more muscular.

More muscle = more weight moved.

So that doesn't really prove your point at all.

With what you said it's possible you could move the extra weight by (gasp) putting on more muscle.

tinytony

tinytony

Awards
Yeah, but if you were six inches shorter AND the same weight you'd also be significantly more muscular.

With what you said it's possible you could move the extra weight by (gasp) putting on more muscle.
Yep

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards

I understand your logic and yes, more power will get you there. But, if you think about the physics of a lever you can't argue that an identical amount of force (i.e. same size muscle) used to move and object will be more efficient at a shorter length of the lever arm.

Hold a baseball bat at its base with a normal swinging grip. Then lift a tire up off the ground with it. Pretty hard to get leverage with a full length bat.

Now cut the bat in half (i.e. shorter arm segments) and lift the same tire up.

All I'm saying is that at the same exact muscular force, if you have shorter arms... you can lift more weight, period.

And that doesn't even dip into the whole increased ROM discussion

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I understand your logic and yes, more power will get you there. But, if you think about the physics of a lever you can't argue that an identical amount of force (i.e. same size muscle) used to move and object will be more efficient at a shorter length of the lever arm.

Hold a baseball bat at its base with a normal swinging grip. Then lift a tire up off the ground with it. Pretty hard to get leverage with a full length bat.

Now cut the bat in half (i.e. shorter arm segments) and lift the same tire up.

All I'm saying is that at the same exact muscular force, if you have shorter arms... you can lift more weight, period.
I'm not even talking about whether it's easier to lift a weight when you're shorter or not.

I'm talking specifically about your comment that if you were six inches shorter AND the same weight you'd lift more.

Which is obvious because you would have more muscle of you were 6 inches shorter and weighed the same, which would allow you to apply MORE force to the bar due to the sstronger muscular contraction.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
I'm not even talking about whether it's easier to lift a weight when you're shorter or not.

I'm talking specifically about your comment that if you were six inches shorter AND the same weight you'd lift more.

Which is obvious because you would have more muscle of you were 6 inches shorter and weighed the same, which would allow you to apply MORE force to the bar due to the sstronger muscular contraction.
Ok well then if I had the exact same amount of muscle then I'd still lift more weight. The decrease in ROM alone would accomplish that.

Thanks for letting me know that if I have bigger muscles i can lift more. You changed my life, Jim!

I'd technically have more muscle mass because of bone weight (I suppose) but seriously, dude... I meant if I had the same LBM as I do now, not weight. I figured it was inferred.

tinytony

tinytony

Awards
Ok well then if I had the exact same amount of muscle then I'd STILL lift more weight. The decrease in ROM alone would accomplish that.

Yes,
My brother is 5'6" and 170-175 . He can bench press 300. Im 5" taller and hit 425 for 1RM. Im not bragging. Im making a point. Shourt guys may have less range of motion and a short untrained guy versus a tall untrained guy maybe the short guy wins. But maybe not. Its largely how you train and genetic advantage. Technically longer muscles have more room for contraction so if you train right you shoyld hit much bigger weights.. plus at 6'6" you shoulf be training as heavy as possible or you will miss all your potential.

6andaHalf

6andaHalf

Awards
My brother is 5'6" and 170-175 . He can bench press 300. Im 5" taller and hit 425 for 1RM. Im not bragging. Im making a point. Shourt guys may have less range of motion and a short untrained guy versus a tall untrained guy maybe the short guy wins. But maybe not. Its largely how you train and genetic advantage. Technically longer muscles have more room for contraction so if you train right you shoyld hit much bigger weights.. plus at 6'6" you shoulf be training as heavy as possible or you will miss all your potential.
Totally agree man. I'm really tall but honestly a realist in saying I don't have the genetics for big unless I make it my life goal with plenty of gear. I'm happy comparing myself to myself though. I have to be or I'd kill myself haha