TRT Questions

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
I just saw a doctor today regarding low T (<300) and it looks like TRT is on the horizon. She is going to give me the option of what treatment I'd like (patch, gel, injections) and I am curious as to what everyone on here has opted for and what has seemed to work best. Also, is TRT alone enough to make significant gains in the gym or would it be beneficial to add anything to the TRT once the right dosage is established?

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need to know dose and frequency of injections/doses. Injections are generally considered the best, but you'll definitely need an AI. Patches/Gel can increase DHT a lot more.

Definitely make sure the doses aren't ONCE a month. I hear this all the time and it's ridiculous. Most guys inject twice a week. Once a week is okay. This is a huge issue, btw.

You also want to make sure you have exhausted options in terms of exercise, diet, supplmentation, reducing stress, better sleep, etc. before just hopping on TRT.

WE need to know more about you to properly help you. How old are you? Do you FEEL like you have low T?

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
The doctor mentioned either once or twice a month for the injections but warned that the levels wouldn't be as stable as the daily patch or gel.

In terms of myself, I'm 29 (5-9, 165lbs) and have had my T levels checked a few times over the past year and a half. Every test has come back with levels below 300 except for one that was only in the 360's. Part of the reason I had it checked was because of fatigue (wake up tired - sleep apnea ruled out) and lack of results in the gym. I shouldn't say that I haven't made any progress but I feel that with the work I've put in, I should be seeing better results. I've been lifting consistently for the past 2 1/2 years or so and have had my routine changed and tweaked by the gym owners (both of which have competed in BB competitions). They have also helped get my diet in check so I've been eating relatively clean. Out of everything you mentioned, stress might be the biggest issue that I struggle with. I'm not the type of person that lets things roll off my back easily so that could be an issue.

Supplements: Whey, multi, fish oil, aminos

napalm

napalm

Awards
but you'll definitely need an AI.
Not true, when done CORRECTLY an ai isn't needed. Also, few if any pcp's/endo's will prescribe one. Only the anti aging places will give you one, or there's the research chem places as well, but you take your own chances there. I want to take as few meds as possible. Op, there is a period of trial and error at the start of trt with dose/injection frequency. With frequent injections and labs, it's relatively easy to get the dose dialed in well enough that an ai is absolutely not needed. It kind of gives me a case of the red ass when guys come in here saying an ai is necessary. It's not...

A

AngryOldMan

Awards
How much has your doc looked at treating the CAUSE of your low T?

For example, low Vit D can cause low T levels. Like you said before, you're under a lot of stress, that could be the cause.

Going on TRT won't make a big difference at the gym (but will probably help), but it's a lifelong commitment that's very expensive and may have some side effects.
Don't jump into TRT until you've exhausted looking at other possible causes.

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
The doctor has run bloods a few times over the summer. What she found was borderline hypothyroidism (TSH 4.5 and trending upwards), high prolactin, low T. From what I understand hypothyroidism can cause high prolactin which in turn can cause low T. She gave me a super low dose of synthroid (25 mcg cut in half every morning) which got my TSH levels back to normal (2.4) but I still had high prolactin (17 ng/ml after starting the synthroid) and total test was 249 with Free Test at 29.69. My LH and FSH were within normal ranges.

She wants to run a Pituitary MRI to make sure there is no tumor or mass and then said treatment will follow.

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Not true, when done CORRECTLY an ai isn't needed. Also, few if any pcp's/endo's will prescribe one. Only the anti aging places will give you one, or there's the research chem places as well, but you take your own chances there. I want to take as few meds as possible. Op, there is a period of trial and error at the start of trt with dose/injection frequency. With frequent injections and labs, it's relatively easy to get the dose dialed in well enough that an ai is absolutely not needed. It kind of gives me a case of the red ass when guys come in here saying an ai is necessary. It's not...
That's actually funny you said that, my dad is doing a "TRT" dose of 500mg a week have been doing that for years and he don't need a AI, I have been in TRT for a few month at 150mg a week and I do need an AI, funny how that works.

napalm

napalm

Awards
That's actually funny you said that, my dad is doing a "TRT" dose of 500mg a week have been doing that for years and he don't need a AI, I have been in TRT for a few month at 150mg a week and I do need an AI, funny how that works.
How often are you injecting?

And 500/week isn't trt, it's a cycle...

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Once a week, I have been thinking about start doing 2, gonna talk to my Dr about in my next visit in a few month, I'm comfortable with once though. I think that I'm sensitive to estrogen.

Lol, I know 500 is not TRT but my dad think its the best ever!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Once a week, I have been thinking about start doing 2, gonna talk to my Dr about in my next visit in a few month, I'm comfortable with once though. I think that I'm sensitive to estrogen.
I would suggest if you go to 2x/week to start at 50 each injection. It's been my experience that with more frequent injections you don't need nearly as much test - as there are no peaks and troughs.

What is your e2 at 150/week?

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I would suggest if you go to 2x/week to start at 50 each injection. It's been my experience that with more frequent injections you don't need nearly as much test - as there are no peaks and troughs.

What is your e2 at 150/week?
Don't remember but it was a little over normal and way over from before TRT.

We still haven't found my "optimal" level of test yet since I only been on TRT for about 7 month. We started with 100 and now we're on 150 with Anastozol eod.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not true, when done CORRECTLY an ai isn't needed.
I agree, my definitely should have been a "probably". Even if it's done perfectly, someone might need an AI to combat estro.

And 500/week isn't trt, it's a cycle...
That is... a lot for TRT. He should really reduce it every once in awhile to give his body a break.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
60mg inject e3.5d here. If it doesn't help you gain in the gym and life a better life, then something else is wrong.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Even if it's done perfectly, someone might need an AI to combat estro.
I agree to an extent, some guys are just sensitive. BUT, IMO some guys are too impatient to play around w dose/injection freq to find out what works for THEM. There is no cookie cutter approach, well there is but it sucks.

It took me a year to figure it out. Now, 60 every 4 days, e2 in the 30's...

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
Never having run a cycle before, would it be beneficial to try to kickstart my natural test production rather than jumping into TRT?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Absofreakinglutely. You want to look at options to see if you are capable of bringing up natural numbers.

A

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
That is... a lot for TRT. He should really reduce it every once in awhile to give his body a break.
I'm sure he does sometimes but I think he enjoying being the strongest guy in the gym and having single digit bf too much, lol!

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
Never having run a cycle before, would it be beneficial to try to kickstart my natural test production rather than jumping into TRT?
Would you recommend a combination of DAA with either Clomid or Nolva?

A

AngryOldMan

Awards
DAA never worked for me either. Multiple blood tests showed no gain or a reduction taking DAA, but many people swear by it. Everyone responds differently.

H

hypnotzd27

Awards
Just wanted to bump this thread. I recently had an MRI done and it turns out that I have a small pituitary tumor (3mm). The doctor isn't concerned with the tumor and just wants to monitor it every 6 months to make sure it doesn't grow at all. She does want me to start TRT to get my T levels back to where they should be. I know gel and injections seem to be the most popular options but I'd like to avoid the gel due to having to be cautious of coming in contact with my girlfriend after applying it. Anyone have any experience with the patch?