Fina question/problem

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
About a month or two ago I performed a couple fina conversions. I ended up putting both into 1 vial and it's been sitting for a few weeks. I just picked it up and when turned upside down, there is a thick, dark gel-like layer remaining on the bottom. Is that a problem? I am about to heat and filter into a new vial, just wanted some feedback. Thanks

D

duckway

Board Supporter
Awards
The same thing happenned to me my last round.. It happened gradually though - clear to cloudy. I ran it through a whataman and dry heat sterilized it in an oven. The gear was fine after that...

My suggestion.. Don't pin it. When in doubt - refilter.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I did use a pre-packaged kit. It looks like I transfered some of the 'gunk' from the early transfer process and it settled to the bottom. Can the pellet residue filter through a whatmen? I am attempting to get a pic on here. Otherwise, I still plan on re-filtering.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Could be some cellulose , did you filter hot or cold? Also, did you use a .45 or .2 micron?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Maybe it was the kit, I always do it from scratch, so I don't know who has good kits. The wrong solvents in the oil could bring it through. I'd reheat it, mix it well, let it cool to room temp, and refilter with a Whatman 0.2 mic PTFE w/ GMF. I don't even use the sterile ones, as long as it's got some BA or chlorbutanol in it, but they work well. Avoid other brands.