1. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.68%

possible to keep gains once you quit steroids/prohormones

Hi.

I'm a 100% natural lifter.. at the moment. I'm not interested in using them ATM but I'm pretty sure once the gains start slowing down I will.

I have a question. If you use steroids, for I dunno say 5 years and then decide to quit. If you continue to eat enough and lift enough, will you keep all the gains you made while on the anabolics?

Something I have always been interested to find out. I know a lot of the old lifters (Arnie ect) lost their gains but most of them didn't continue to lift afterwards cos their lives took them in different directions.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

No.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.68%

Interesting. I have no interest in getting super huge tbh. Thanks for your advice tho guys. Repped
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.39%

It depends on how long of a period of time you are wanting to keep them. Your whole life? No. 5-10 years if you keep calories up to maintain the new muscle and keep working out hard? It'd say it's very possible.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.53%

AAS use maximises your muscle mass beyond what you can hold naturally, you will lose muscle mass once you come off AAS, but you will have a awesome lean body mass.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.74%

Quote Originally Posted by Sulor32 View Post
    AAS use maximises your muscle mass beyond what you can hold naturally, you will lose muscle mass once you come off AAS, but you will have a awesome lean body mass.
    Assuming you were at your natty limit when you started aas, many are not
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24%

Also depends on if you're on trt or going to go through pct. No matter how good a pct plan, it is still difficult to keep gains while your body is restarting it's internal test production. Guys that are on trt have an advantage in this area as their test never drops too low.
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.16%

Quote Originally Posted by jerrysiii View Post
    Also depends on if you're on trt or going to go through pct. No matter how good a pct plan, it is still difficult to keep gains while your body is restarting it's internal test production. Guys that are on trt have an advantage in this area as their test never drops too low.
    Yes but the vast majority are not on trt. We do have the advantage because test levels are at our discretion, but no sense in comparing.
    TRT should not be the goal, as forever means a really long time... I think about when I'm 85 years old with test levels in the 500's. I wonder what that will be like, how it affects the normal aging process vs. men that age with test levels <200
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24%

I agree. Didn't mean to suggest it should be a goal.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.81%

Everyone keeps asking this question and the answer is yes and no.
    Genetics def play a role but also anabolics are not the only thing affecting this equation. Growth hormone, IGF, insulin, digestive system, thyroid, diet they all play a role in keeping up with how much muscle mass you can carry around. Also, it depends how much weight you want to keep too. If you want to go from 190lbs 6ft tall to 220lbs it's much easier to control that weight. Once you jump over 220 and up it's much harder and it does put stress on your body in all the ways I mentioned earlier. Age also affects these hormones.
    So the answer is not all that cut and dry but the main take away from this is that as you get older it's wise to start droping weight anabolics or not. Dont put weight on, that your body cant really carry because upon anabolics cessation it all will come crushing down prob worse than it was before anabolics. If you have a temporary goal then go for it, but long term is another story.
    That's why I advise ppl to take it easy on the anabolic dosages and the amount of weight they pack on at any particular time. Too much too quick can sometimes work against you.

Most of the old time bodybuilders all kept saying the samething....they started lifting without anabolics built a base then used anabolics to polish off their physique. That formula I believe is right and the way to go for most of us willing to play around with anabolics. Today's bodybuilders are out of control and a bad example of what not to do for the average folks.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.8%

Quote Originally Posted by vassille View Post
    Everyone keeps asking this question and the answer is yes and no.
    Genetics def play a role but also anabolics are not the only thing affecting this equation. Growth hormone, IGF, insulin, digestive system, thyroid, diet they all play a role in keeping up with how much muscle mass you can carry around. Also, it depends how much weight you want to keep too. If you want to go from 190lbs 6ft tall to 220lbs it's much easier to control that weight. Once you jump over 220 and up it's much harder and it does put stress on your body in all the ways I mentioned earlier. Age also affects these hormones.
    So the answer is not all that cut and dry but the main take away from this is that as you get older it's wise to start droping weight anabolics or not. Dont put weight on, that your body cant really carry because upon anabolics cessation it all will come crushing down prob worse than it was before anabolics. If you have a temporary goal then go for it, but long term is another story.
    That's why I advise ppl to take it easy on the anabolic dosages and the amount of weight they pack on at any particular time. Too much too quick can sometimes work against you.

Most of the old time bodybuilders all kept saying the samething....they started lifting without anabolics built a base then used anabolics to polish off their physique. That formula I believe is right and the way to go for most of us willing to play around with anabolics. Today's bodybuilders are out of control and a bad example of what not to do for the average folks.
    Very true in my opinion

Similar Forum Threads

1. PCS + Nolva good enough to keep gains?
    By NoFinishLine in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 11:57 PM
  2. How To Keep Gains From Gear
    By gten79 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
  3. How hard is it to keep gains?
    By ripped22 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:02 PM
  4. able to keep gains?
    By spoofy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 11:22 PM
  5. Best way to keep gains after a T1 pro cycle?
    By jminis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:28 AM