Oral Anabolics and GI Distress

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Duywayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    37218

    Oral Anabolics and GI Distress


    Pat,

    I have done several short cycles of oral AAS (mix between methylated and non methylated).

    I noticed with every single cycle, I have had more and more GI issues during and post cycle. Even after coming off cycle, the symptoms were reduced however never disappeared. After each cycle I would say there has been a cumulative effect on my GI system. Issues I have:

    -Bloating
    -Gas
    -Excessive Belching
    -Abdominal Distension (my stomach is never flat anymore)

    Is there any reason why you think that oral steroids would cause this? blood work checks out fine, shows no issues with gallbladder, bilirubin slightly high in the AM, liver values all good, no food allergies found (however I am becoming more intolerant to dairy and wheat).

    Also I notice it with non anabolic hormones as well.. such as 6-OXO, 11-OXO (low dose), etc. None of my cycle have ever been more then 4 weeks.

  2. Registered User
    kenpoengineer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  158 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mentor, OH
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,984
    Rep Power
    2351802

    Is it possible that you have a food allergy? I bloat with dairy, high carbs and with some types of Creatine.
  3. Registered User
    Duywayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    37218

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Is it possible that you have a food allergy? I bloat with dairy, high carbs and with some types of Creatine.
    Bloodwork showed negative to all food allergies we tested for (it was a 4 page list). However I do think there is some intolerance's there.
    •   
       

  4. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    i dont know the answer to this
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  5. Registered User
    coolbreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    167

    maybe orals somehow lead to hypertrophy of the smooth muscle (via elevated IGF levels perhaps?)
  6. Banned
    bossman523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    422
    Rep Power
    0

    maybe try some probiotics (greek yogurt, miso)
  7. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    maybe orals somehow lead to hypertrophy of the smooth muscle (via elevated IGF levels perhaps?)
    that wouldnt lead to cramps and gas
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  8. Registered User
    Duywayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    37218

    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    maybe orals somehow lead to hypertrophy of the smooth muscle (via elevated IGF levels perhaps?)
    Cant imagine that causing it.

    My inclination was something out of whack with intestinal flora. Did a 2 week run of Xifaxin (non-systemic antibx, used to treat SIBO) but that did nothing for me. Still trying different strains of propboitics to see if there is any shift there but not finding any help with those either. Or its possible i have not found the right one..
  9. Registered User
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,211
    Rep Power
    140358

    I had a similar experience following a few cycles. That was maybe 3 yrs ago and the dairy/wheat intolerance hasnt really improved.

    I now monitor my diet to some extent. And i have to be very consistent with probiotics and lactase enzymes, which helps a bit.

    I wish I had more to offer other than a related subjective experience. Just know that I share ur frustration.
  10. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    i am having gut issues that came out of nowhere myself. its a mystery
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  11. Banned
    bossman523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    422
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i am having gut issues that came out of nowhere myself. its a mystery
    do you eat bread? i found that when i gave up bread and eliminated dairy my stomach issues went away. i have since re-introduced dairy (although less than i was consuming) and my stomach problems have gone away. the only time i have a little stomach distress is when i drink too much coffee or eat too much at once.
  12. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by bossman523 View Post
    do you eat bread? i found that when i gave up bread and eliminated dairy my stomach issues went away. i have since re-introduced dairy (although less than i was consuming) and my stomach problems have gone away. the only time i have a little stomach distress is when i drink too much coffee or eat too much at once.

    i dont eat bread
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  13. Banned
    bossman523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    422
    Rep Power
    0

    good job. i hope your gi distress clears up soon!
  14. Banned
    JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,704
    Rep Power
    0

    Dude just chalk it up as a side effect from the PH/DS you use. I mean its not the biggest deal in the world lol
  15. Banned
    bossman523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    422
    Rep Power
    0

    I am worried about Pat.
  16. Registered User
    Duywayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    37218

    Candida overgrowth? possible?
  17. Registered User
    Beejis60's Avatar
    Stats
    6'9"  4 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    206
    Rep Power
    25403

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i dont eat bread
    P28 be mad at you now.
    E-Pharm Nutrition Representative
    WARNING: I tend to speak my mind and will verbally assault you if you are a tool. My words do not necessarily represent the official opinion of E-Pharm, but most likely, they do.
  18. Registered User
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,211
    Rep Power
    140358

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    I mean its not the biggest deal in the world lol
    I encourage u to think this through again. A critical component of bodybuilding, sport training, and health is diet, no? Take away 10-20% of ur normal daily caloric options and u have a massive lifestyle adjustment on ur hands.
  19. Banned
    bossman523's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  179 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    422
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by RH2012 View Post
    they discussed this on dr. oz a couple of weeks ago. to test it, ur supossed to spit into a glass of water, first thing in the morning. if there is yeast overgrowth, it will look stringy in the water with white discoloration. probably has pics or the episode itself on the web site or hulu. they recomended probiotics and avoiding simple sugars to treat it.

    love Dr. Oz!!
  20. Registered User
    goat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    418

    I believe and it's total bro science your body holds onto any carbs and they don't get digested thus the belly! Happens to me every cycle and 2 weeks into pct it's gone, on cycle your body needs a **** load more carbs. Lol least my misses puts up with me farting : ) I know it's the juice cause I've kept my macros exactly the same into pct this time and the belly is gone
  21. Registered User
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9326

    This also has happened to me when I took SD, Pmag and epistane, but for some reason the old Pheraplex or Xtren never caused these issues. I do not think it is carb related because i eat low carb all year. It would be great if someone knew a definite way to control this........
  22. Registered User
    goat23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    418

    Meth related then maybe???
  23. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by goat23 View Post
    I believe and it's total bro science your body holds onto any carbs and they don't get digested thus the belly! Happens to me every cycle and 2 weeks into pct it's gone, on cycle your body needs a **** load more carbs. Lol least my misses puts up with me farting : ) I know it's the juice cause I've kept my macros exactly the same into pct this time and the belly is gone
    well at least you are aware its bro science
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  24. Registered User
    jbryand101b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Your moms house
    Posts
    14,540
    Rep Power
    1590225

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    i dont know the answer to this
    This is not the question your looking for...waves hand...
  25. Registered User
    jbryand101b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Your moms house
    Posts
    14,540
    Rep Power
    1590225

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    well at least you are aware its bro science
    At least you understood what he was talking about.
  26. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by jbryand101b View Post
    At least you understood what he was talking about.

    i didnt
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  27. SPS
    SPS is offline
    Registered User
    SPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    33605

    I always thought GI disress on cycle was caused by your liver not producing enough bile which screws up your intestines ability to digest fat. Is that not right?
  28. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    I always thought GI disress on cycle was caused by your liver not producing enough bile which screws up your intestines ability to digest fat. Is that not right?

    AAS can screw with bile elimination from liver, not bile secretion. Bile builds up in liver, and thats not healthy

    and correct me if i am wrong but bile is produced in gall bladder no?
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  29. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Rep Power
    336127

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post

    AAS can screw with bile elimination from liver, not bile secretion. Bile builds up in liver, and thats not healthy

    and correct me if i am wrong but bile is produced in gall bladder no?
    Yeah it is.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  30. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Rep Power
    336127

    I would cut out all dairy, and bread people complain about it at first but once you start you really start to realize how little you miss it. I used to drink a gallon of milk ever two days, and every day I felt like crap while at the gym. I chalked it up as stims and supps causing gas and stomach aches, but now I feel great every day focused on my training and not holding gas in on this lift cause of the chick right behind me.

    Also I don't really see ph/sd'd being the issue I think it's diet over all. How most of us eat isn't how are bodies were designed to eat. Most lifters eat crap loads of protein ( my self included) tons of processed foods, and poor quality/ small amounts of veg. All this reeks havoc on our bodies. I now have acid reflux because how I ate when I was younger, but now that I have changed my diet I have it for the most part under control.

    Enough rambling though if I were you I would try cutting out all dairy, bread and processes food from your diet. If within a month or two you don't notice anything by all means switch back but I would almost guarantee you will notice a difference.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  31. Registered User
    crgsander's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    122

    Bile is produced in the liver by pulling cholesterol out of the blood. The gallbladder is the storage tank for bile. When you eat the gallbladder will contract and squeeze bile into the intestine for digestion.

    Back on subject, I would have mentioned gallbladder and or liver, but since you have had tests it doesn't make sense. I would ask are you on any SSRI's and drinking alcohol while taking them? That will cause the symptoms you are describing also. SSRI's can cause stomach issues even without alcohol.
  32. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Rep Power
    336127

    Quote Originally Posted by crgsander View Post
    Bile is produced in the liver by pulling cholesterol out of the blood. The gallbladder is the storage tank for bile. When you eat the gallbladder will contract and squeeze bile into the intestine for digestion.
    Oops my bad, thanks.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  33. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    Quote Originally Posted by crgsander View Post
    Bile is produced in the liver by pulling cholesterol out of the blood. The gallbladder is the storage tank for bile. When you eat the gallbladder will contract and squeeze bile into the intestine for digestion.
    .
    and this is why i phrased my statement as a question!!

    thx
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  34. Registered User
    crgsander's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    122

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    and this is why i phrased my statement as a question!!thx
    You are correct that with AAS use, the bile ducts in the liver will start to clog, so to speak, and the build up becomes very unhealthy for the liver.
  35. SPS
    SPS is offline
    Registered User
    SPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    33605

    Quote Originally Posted by crgsander View Post
    Back on subject, I would have mentioned gallbladder and or liver, but since you have had tests it doesn't make sense. I would ask are you on any SSRI's and drinking alcohol while taking them? That will cause the symptoms you are describing also. SSRI's can cause stomach issues even without alcohol.
    I don't think the op stated if bloodtests were done on cycle or after.
  36. Registered User
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9326

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
    I would cut out all dairy, and bread people complain about it at first but once you start you really start to realize how little you miss it. I used to drink a gallon of milk ever two days, and every day I felt like crap while at the gym. I chalked it up as stims and supps causing gas and stomach aches, but now I feel great every day focused on my training and not holding gas in on this lift cause of the chick right behind me.

    Also I don't really see ph/sd'd being the issue I think it's diet over all. How most of us eat isn't how are bodies were designed to eat. Most lifters eat crap loads of protein ( my self included) tons of processed foods, and poor quality/ small amounts of veg. All this reeks havoc on our bodies. I now have acid reflux because how I ate when I was younger, but now that I have changed my diet I have it for the most part under control.

    Enough rambling though if I were you I would try cutting out all dairy, bread and processes food from your diet. If within a month or two you don't notice anything by all means switch back but I would almost guarantee you will notice a difference.
    I don't think it can be solely diet related and has moe to do with the oral ph/ds since on cycle is the only time it happens. Also I almost never drink milk products or eat bread except for maybe one cheat meal a week.
  37. Featured Author
    Patrick Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,119
    Rep Power
    554323

    its possible that some steroids have anti-microbial effects of some sort. I have seen patents on steroids which are anabolic and are stated to have such activities. thats kind of a long shot explanation but its not unfeasible. theory being they would disrupt intestinal flora
    Anabolicminds.com Featured Author
  38. Registered User
    Bigcountry08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    665
    Rep Power
    336127

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Arnold View Post
    its possible that some steroids have anti-microbial effects of some sort. I have seen patents on steroids which are anabolic and are stated to have such activities. thats kind of a long shot explanation but its not unfeasible. theory being they would disrupt intestinal flora
    Lol, I seem to remember a csi episode where a guy was taking steroids. he came into contact with a bacteria that ate bone and they said the roids he took destroyed his immune system. So his body couldn't fight back. If I remember correctly he just got punched like once in the face and his head caved in.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  39. Registered User
    Duywayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    37218

    Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    I don't think the op stated if bloodtests were done on cycle or after.
    Blood test were done post cycle. Have had multiple blood test (did one while one) and everything is generally within range.

    I do notice with fatty foods it is much worse, but that is expected. I dont believe it is necessary bile related.. when you have a fatty meal it will naturally sit in your stomach for a longer period of time, which will make the bloating issues worse.

    The frequent belching is the worse.. my heart rate is constantly elevated until i belch out my meal (this can take hours sometimes).

    Not an alcoholic.. drink in moderation socially, so maybe 1-2 times a week.
  40. Registered User
    crgsander's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    122

    Quote Originally Posted by RH2012 View Post
    lol, so his problem may be that he's a depressed alcoholic?
    It sounds kind of funny when you say it! Lol
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 06-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  2. IP Oral Tren and Cyclo test susp??
    By pogue in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 09:11 AM
  3. Article-Boiling up the facts about pasta and GI
    By windwords7 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in