DNA injections?

jdean321

Awards
So my physiology teacher just talked about a non testable way of getting anabolic steroid effects without steroids. She said some Olympic athletes inject themselves with DNA in order to obtain bigger and stronger muscles. I tried googling it but came up with nothing. Have you guys heard of this? And if so.. How the heck do I get my hands on some of that?!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I inject myself with gorilla DNA preworkout. It gives me gorilla like strength with a 12-14 hour half life.

Just kidding. I don't know know.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel like DNA doesn't really work like that....

Seems ridiculous....

figdaddy

Awards
  • Established
it does not. Unless there is new technology i am not yet aware of. U sure ur not thinking of gh or something like that?

jdean321

Awards
I mean DNA replicates whatever is in its transcript but honestly I don't know. I thought it sounded a little funky to me and I feel like if they were able to do something like this everyone and their mother would be talking about it. Maybe she meant GH not DNA. Is GH testable?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mean DNA replicates whatever is in its transcript but honestly I don't know. I thought it sounded a little funky to me and I feel like if they were able to do something like this everyone and their mother would be talking about it. Maybe she meant GH not DNA. Is GH testable?
She sounds extraordinarily uneducated on the topic.

jdean321

Awards
She just ended class by talking about it briefly so there wasn't much of an elaboration other than her story of an Olympic sprinter did this to get bigger quads but the muscle mass and strength was so much it broke his leg

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are currently injectable nucleotide drugs on the market, but none that I know are PEDs. They're anti-cancer small molecules for the most part.

Think your teacher is referring to genetic therapy of some sort, but as far as I'm aware, that is neither available nor able to do what she claims currently. I know there have been experimental procedures conducted on dogs and a few preliminary trials in isolated individuals in europe, but nothing like this...

jdean321

Awards
Got ya. Well dang that would be sweet if they do figure something like that out. We could all look like Arnold with no side effects!

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
She just ended class by talking about it briefly so there wasn't much of an elaboration other than her story of an Olympic sprinter did this to get bigger quads but the muscle mass and strength was so much it broke his leg
Just thought I would tell you guys the bad news jay cutler just imploded he was doing dead lifts and his muscles contracted so hard that his entire body smashed in on itself. Sounds like your teacher has a MD in bro science.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like gene therapy the broscience version.

There are methods of using dna manipulation to increase muscle mass in a way that make steroids look like tic tacs.

follistan-picture.gif

Same thing can be said about bull whipits

wendy1.jpg

Or Belgian blue cows

004.jpg

Keepitreel

Keepitreel

Awards
I wonder how much test is flowing through those animals though Like that bull must bust an 8 gallon load

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
I wonder how much test is flowing through those animals though Like that bull must bust an 8 gallon load
Not a single one of those is a testosterone abnormality.

Lhns2

Lhns2

Awards
If we could change our DNA by injecting other DNA that would completely change things in the medical field.

Sent from my super duper VS920 4G using Am.com app!

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
If we could change our DNA by injecting other DNA that would completely change things in the medical field.

You can!!!!!! Unfortunately that injected DNA is in virus form, which we use but, but, but viruses are still not the most predictable little bastards.
Shows promise but still we have a long way to go till we get to being able to screw too much with genes.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
You can!!!!!! Unfortunately that injected DNA is in virus form, which we use but, but, but viruses are still not the most predictable little bastards.
Shows promise but still we have a long way to go till we get to being able to screw too much with genes.
Not to mention they like to mutate in unpredictable ways.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
X-Men maybe? We can dream.
Sign me up for either deadpool's or wolverine's healing factor. I would even take it at the cost of deadpools psychosis and appearance.

NADDANME

NADDANME

Awards
  • Established
X-Men maybe? We can dream.
Sure everyone thinks of the positive. This is also the premise for "I am Legend" and other zombie flicks

jdean321

Awards
Hey gerbil where did you find all that info? I wouldn't mind reading more on it. Maybe even use it for an essay topic in class

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey gerbil where did you find all that info? I wouldn't mind reading more on it. Maybe even use it for an essay topic in class
Viral infection as a means of genetic manipulation is a pretty standard technique in mol/cell bio. Pubmed has tons of reviews on it - just search adenoviral gene therapy review. There are other viruses used as well, but adenoviridae is as good a place as any to start.

Those animals, however, were not originally constructed using viral infection, but through other means like micro-injection, targetted recombination or natural mutation.

Keepitreel

Keepitreel

Awards
What if you could inject something that would increase the number of ribosomes and mRNA in the cell body, since they create protein more of those = more protein synthesis= more muscle, I hope that thats what test dose

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What if you could inject something that would increase the number of ribosomes and mRNA in the cell body, since they create protein more of those = more protein synthesis= more muscle, I hope that thats what test dose
Transcription and translation are regulated on numerous levels. Simply increasing ribosomes won't necessarily increase protein synthesis, let alone muscle protein synthesis, unless the appropriate intracellular signals are made.

In any case, there are a few things that increase mitochondrial density, which results in increased ribosomal cell content. While still putative, this may actually be very beneficial, but more for energy expenditure and endurance/performance than hypertrophy from what I've read. :)

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't looked at the topic of gene therapy in a while, but last I heard, they are able to shut off the specific gene that controls myostatin production, but were unable to turn it back on.

after rats, primates are the next stop, not sure if it's made it this far yet or not though. been a few years, so maybe?

Lhns2

Lhns2

Awards
I haven't looked at the topic of gene therapy in a while, but last I heard, they are able to shut off the specific gene that controls myostatin production, but were unable to turn it back on.

after rats, primates are the next stop, not sure if it's made it this far yet or not though. been a few years, so maybe?
So it would be like not being able to turn off the hulk.