The Truth in Reporting--Except with Steroids

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I've been looking at all the You Tube videos that have medical professionals crying that the sky is falling and how horrible steroids are. Their claims are highly exaggerated, and out-right false. One of our leading sports columnists commented on Costas' remarks regarding gun control and during his editorial he brushed upon Bonds, a steroid issue. I wrote him in response to his defense of Costas and politely challenged him and any medical professional to debate steroids and the exaggerated claims on usage and effects. I doubt he'll even respond, but I really get tired of all the false statements made by so-called professionals. I saw one such doctor claim that he has seen athletes using up to 6000mgs of test per week and that the average male has only an average of 25mgs. Well, I won't even go into the obvious ignorance of such a statement. But this is what is being spread out there by otherwise responsible doctors. Fact is, the average body builder on AAS knows more about AAS than 99% of the doctors out there. And any doctor who is honest (mine is) readily admits that they were never schooled on AAS and that they learn a lot from us.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I've been looking at all the You Tube videos that have medical professionals crying that the sky is falling and how horrible steroids are. Their claims are highly exaggerated, and out-right false. One of our leading sports columnists commented on Costas' remarks regarding gun control and during his editorial he brushed upon Bonds, a steroid issue. I wrote him in response to his defense of Costas and politely challenged him and any medical professional to debate steroids and the exaggerated claims on usage and effects. I doubt he'll even respond, but I really get tired of all the false statements made by so-called professionals. I saw one such doctor claim that he has seen athletes using up to 6000mgs of test per week and that the average male has only an average of 25mgs. Well, I won't even go into the obvious ignorance of such a statement. But this is what is being spread out there by otherwise responsible doctors. Fact is, the average body builder on AAS knows more about AAS than 99% of the doctors out there. And any doctor who is honest (mine is) readily admits that they were never schooled on AAS and that they learn a lot from us.
So true DH! We need more people like u out there. My father in law is a doc and evr since I got back into bbing I've gone rounds with him on just diet/nutrition. Same with my GP. I'm 31 and when I went in for bloods I asked him for a full panel. He said " you don't need your estrodial or thyroid etc check its a waste of money". I said BS he still wouldn't do it. My total test came back around 360 which is almost the bottom of the scale. He said its just a part of getting older and that I'd never have a flat stomach again. Told me I was eating too much protein on and on, I went back for a checkup a couple months later after dieting down to around 8-9% and said how's this for a flat stomach?

Needless to say I'm still looking for another doc.
I can't wait till I have enough knowledge on AAS to debate these guys.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always preached the idea we as supplement users need to create our own organization in order to help fight this type of gross ignorance to supplement and steroid dangers and use.the only downside I've had with this is how many guys out there are willing to put themselves out there like that once your pegged as a supplement or steroid user due to the general public's views your pretty well screwed for the most part

get guys on board like John Romano,Patrick Arnold, Rick Collins just to name a few

DetroitHammer

DetroitHammer

Awards
  • Established
I have thought, many times, about starting a magazine that doesn't hide steroid use but in fact helps sift through the BS and present facts so guys and girls can make informed decisions. Two things have stopped me so far: one, I don't want to be on anyone's radar screen; and two, I'm not sure I can get enough contributors to sustain a publication. Also, not sure advertisers would support a magazine that openly talks about steroids. Otherwise, I have the means to put a publication in motion, since that's what I do anyway.

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I have thought, many times, about starting a magazine that doesn't hide steroid use but in fact helps sift through the BS and present facts so guys and girls can make informed decisions. Two things have stopped me so far: one, I don't want to be on anyone's radar screen; and two, I'm not sure I can get enough contributors to sustain a publication. Also, not sure advertisers would support a magazine that openly talks about steroids. Otherwise, I have the means to put a publication in motion, since that's what I do anyway.
I'd buy that magazine. To be honest man I think it's time that someone spoke out about the truth behind steroids. They have such a bad stigma that comes from years of misinformation.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this is the biggest hurdle people dont want to be on anyone's list and with good reason look how they screw around with Patrick Arnold.

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
This is very true DH. You are right and I have gone rounds against medical proffesionals. My parents for example were always against steroids. I have always been honest with them and once I had read enough to be able to knowledgeably speak on the use of AAS I broke the news to them.

They were against it at first of course but I am my own grown azz man and will do what I want anyways. I taught them and they saw me getting bloods, coming off, doing a pct, getting back on. They grew to the idea and actually support it now. Hell my dad went and had his test levels checked.

If people actually KNEW and got TAUGHT from someone other than a politician with a agenda, public media or a doctor with his head so far up his a$$ he can see his tonsils, the world might be different for the AAS user.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is very true DH. You are right and I have gone rounds against medical proffesionals. My parents for example were always against steroids. I have always been honest with them and once I had read enough to be able to knowledgeably speak on the use of AAS I broke the news to them.

They were against it at first of course but I am my own grown azz man and will do what I want anyways. I taught them and they saw me getting bloods, coming off, doing a pct, getting back on. They grew to the idea and actually support it now. Hell my dad went and had his test levels checked.

If people actually KNEW and got TAUGHT from someone other than a politician with a agenda, public media or a doctor with his head so far up his a$$ he can see his tonsils, the world might be different for the AAS user.
I'm sure if we could convince them the money that could be made off of it like they are doing with weed they would all change their tune.money talks

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
It really does amuse me how the truth only applies to certain things, and not to others...

seclureon

Awards
the misinformation out there is ridiculous
i have heard that steroids do everything from making you blind, causing intestinal tumors to bowel cancer to making you finger-nails fall off
its a shame really
movies like bigger faster stronger were a help in showing people some truth but the movie wasnt particularly popular and was watched mostly by people who already knew at least something about steroids

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I deff want an editorial job :) or field story writer :) lol nice DH it's sad how I remember on natgeo they said "the natural athlete with perfect diet and perfect training won't even come close to a person on steroids who doesn't eat right or workout" what a bunch of **** that is

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I deff want an editorial job :) or field story writer :) lol nice DH it's sad how I remember on natgeo they said "the natural athlete with perfect diet and perfect training won't even come close to a person on steroids who doesn't eat right or workout" what a bunch of **** that is
yea i remember that line.the bs thats spread is beyond awful.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
the misinformation out there is ridiculous
i have heard that steroids do everything from making you blind, causing intestinal tumors to bowel cancer to making you finger-nails fall off
its a shame really
movies like bigger faster stronger were a help in showing people some truth but the movie wasnt particularly popular and was watched mostly by people who already knew at least something about steroids
First time I saw it I was still natural, and didn't really understand that all of the biggest/strongest guys use & use it a part of the sport. Definitely still believed steroids were terrible for you and you could achieve similar results naturally. A friend who had been using for a few years always said it was a good film so another friend and I watched it. It opened our eyes to the reality of usage within the weightlifting world, and we gained a lot of respect for the guys that use. We eventually began researching more and more until we got on the wagon.

Point being, the general public often simply believes what they hear, and the misinformation pressed upon them is staggering. Nobody weighs anything; if you hear it it's assumed it's true. I honestly don't believe a publication would change anything. There could definitely potentially be a readership to support it, and it could do a lot to educate users. But no chance will it change the societal stigma, IMHO.

I'd buy a subscription though :usa2:

Mack555

Awards
Told me I was eating too much protein on and on, I went back for a checkup a couple months later after dieting down to around 8-9% and said how's this for a flat stomach?

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Look man, society NEEDS people that they can feel superior to and look down upon. Society also has a NEED to prove it's "worth" by CONTROLLING what it considers to be "low lifes".

- If you're a tobacco user (I'm not) - you are in the crosshairs of society.

- If you're a drug user - you're in the crosshairs of society. This includes steroids.

- If you're a prostitute or a dude who pays for sex - you're in the crosshairs of society.

- If you are between the ages of 18 and 21, you are in the crosshairs of society for EVERYTHING - WTF are you walking around on this planet?!

Alcohol users used to be in the crosshairs of society, before and during prohibition. When it was over - society told all the "temperance types" to sit down and STFU - now everyone drinks.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
It really does amuse me how the truth only applies to certain things, and not to others...
Just found out under random drug testing I am required to list all meds taken and they are allowed to do a blood draw to verify the amount taken. If it's greater than the prescribed dose...they can fire me on the spot. The FOP is fighting it now...my son told me it's in force now at his dept. I'm waiting on the answer from my union if I have to give blood....before now it has always been a urine test. There just trying to backdoor anything they can as fast as they can. Oh by the way...heres our new policy, on PED, prescribed medicines...and such.! I wonder what is next ?

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
Don't need magazines when we have forums if you're talking pure information.

What I do like is the idea of un-demonizing steroids. I also like the idea of banning roided up pros selling worthless supplements too ;)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's the muscletech stuff that makes the difference to be a Mr. Olympia, didn't you know? All natural baby

Captn_the

Captn_the

Banned
Awards
It's the muscletech stuff that makes the difference to be a Mr. Olympia, didn't you know? All natural baby
I had to spike my nanovapour with a-bombs to get the desired results ;)