Commercial products

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
I'm just curious for those who are "in the know". After doing a homebrew I got to thinking how filtering is the most difficult, time consuming, and just plain monotonous part of the procedure. How do they do this commercially? Or is the gear filtered to the same extent? Maybe they only filter out large particles and autoclave it to sterilize? Just curious.

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I believe that commercial gear is also filtered but it not done manually so filtering is not such an issue like it is for us homebrew'ers...

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
They also use better and faster technology which allows for extremely fast filtering at a better rate than one using a Whatman ever could..

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure they use high volume vacuum pumps, and then sonicate

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya on it being a pain but commercial labs and such use machines to filter, nothing is done manually.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
No worries, i'm definately not going to pay the extra for pre made gear just because filtering is a bit of a pain! lol :blink:

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I find that filtering thru a 1.2 or 1.7mic first, and then filtering it again thru the 0.2 works well. It probably takes just as long after you finish both filtrations, but I get much less frustrated. :) With very dirty stuff (moooo) this helps a lot!