Aspiration

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just curious as to what you guys do. I have never pinned myself before, but being in nursing school and having a cousin who juices, im wondering if you guys aspirate with steroids

uniifirex

Awards
Of course, you should always aspirate.

If not, injecting into the vein= 5-20minutes of feeling like theres a boulder on your chest.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the reason i asked is because in many hospitals, at least the main ones in houston, are now leaning towards not aspirating an IM injection, as it can "cause harm". this is in debate right now in the nursing field

uniifirex

Awards
I don't see how it would cause harm, i just tap it back slightly til i see a rise of a bubble, and then good to go.

Pharaoh

Awards
I always aspirate half a second could save a lot of trouble

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
how the f*ck can aspirating lightly cause harm? is this just a case of idiots being too ham-handed or something?

Pharaoh

Awards
As barstool sports would say just another example of the pussification of America

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
how the f*ck can aspirating lightly cause harm? is this just a case of idiots being too ham-handed or something?
lol ham handed?

I've always heard ham-fisted

that's funny.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I gotta tell you....If I have 3cc in one syringe? I'll aspirate to begin with, then aspirate after each cc to see if I'm drawing back blood after each cc....sounds odd but why not? better safe than sorry. But to the point of the medical community saying aspirating is not safe or what have you, It is kind of an oddball thing to be doing, feels "wrong" pulling back like that....but its really the only way to find out if your in a vein, and I can't see any harm coming of it despite it being a strange practice....

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ill talk to my instructors and get you an answer. they told us this before we started clinicals but really didnt say why

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your teachers are probably referring to vaccine injections.

http://www.texaschildrens.org/carecenters/ImmunizationProject/HowtoAdministerInjections.pdf

This does not apply to the adminstration of medication via IM. Aspiration is a safety precaution that takes literally 2 seconds to do. As far as I know, there is no reason to just not do it. The CDC is only saying that it "might" not be needed due to the site of the injection (not that it is dangerous) but again it is a safety precaution so the question then becomes, why not just do it?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'd appreciate it R1, I just hate when the medical community goes on something more akin to bro-science than actual science :D

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your teachers are probably referring to vaccine injections.

http://www.texaschildrens.org/carecenters/ImmunizationProject/HowtoAdministerInjections.pdf

This does not apply to the adminstration of medication via IM. Aspiration is a safety precaution that takes literally 2 seconds to do. As far as I know, there is no reason to just not do it. The CDC is only saying that it "might" not be needed due to the site of the injection (not that it is dangerous) but again it is a safety precaution so the question then becomes, why not just do it?

nope. its not only vaccine, although i have heard that as well. its site dependent on an IM injection as it can "do more damage than good"