How Leydig cells regulate testosterone production (fairly specific)...

Lakevillethor

Awards
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a fairly basic understanding of how testosterone is produced but I wanted to get a little more specific. Heres what I know (i am going off of memory here so I may be a little off):

Gonadatropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) is released from the hypothalumus. Once this is released, it triggers the pituitary gland to release luteinizing hormone (LH), and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). LH and FSH are released rythmically throughout the day and are not constant (I think every 6-8 hours or so; thus you have about 4 boosts of LH throughout the day). Anyway, after the LH has reacted with the cell membrane of the leydig cells, a whole bunch of **** happens (including an increase of cyclic AMP, which produces a phosphorylation of intracellular proteins by activation of a protein kinase mechanism). In the Leydig cells this protein kinase activation leads to a mobilization of steroid precursors, in particular the activation of pregnenolone synthesis from cholesterol. In short then, Pregnenolone serves as the parent compound from which testosterone is derived.

So here's where my question comes in: Do the leydig cells house the entire reaction from pregnenolone all the way down to test? Or, does some of this reaction take place in other parts of your body? Lastly, does anyone know, specifically, which step that I listed above is impacted by the negative feedback when you elevate androgen levels supplementally?