Am I overreacting?

fivepaknh

Awards
This is my first post. I usually lurk for information. The reason I'm posting now is I'm questioning doing another cycle. So far I've only tried one cycle in my life and finished a couple of months ago. I was planning on another in about two months. Well, yesterday a friend of mine and the guy who also happened to get me my gear, died suddenly of heart failure. He was only 30 years old. He had flu like symptoms for a few days and one yesterday morning he was too weak to get out of bed. A friend took him to the hospital and a few hours later he was gone. Now here's the thing. He was on cycle for two years straight. He competed in bodybuilding and was far more serious about lifting than I am. I'm 48 years old and every visit to the doctor tells me I'm very healthy. Is there much risk for a casual user of AAS suffering the same fate? My wife is freaked and she's saying no more for me. I understand where she's coming from, but wanted to get the advice from people far more knowledgable about it. Thanks for any advice.

SardonicMedic

SardonicMedic

Awards
I see and treat this stuff daily so here is my take:

Most of the AAS available without shady locker room transactions are bad for you aka toxic, and even the ones that aren't usually come from grey markets. At your age it would make more sense to go the legit route and see if you can get treated for low T. This way your are under the constant supervision of a doctor and get regular blood work. You also will be dealing with drugs from known and tested sources in much more reasonable doses. You are 48, while you may be taking care of your body and nothing is breaking down, it will not cope with the stress of cycles the same as younger you.

You can see it time and time again on this board where people seem to overlook the actual meaning of the sides they are experiencing. Take for example nose bleeds from hypertension. All it takes is one massive spike to cause an aneurysm, this aneurysm will NEVER go away it will lie dormant until it burst resulting in a hemorrhagic stroke or you either throw and clot from it and suffer a MI, stroke, or PE

No i don't believe there are the same risk for the casual user as those that blast and cruise for extended periods of time, there still that inherent risk which you have to decide if you want to take.

fivepaknh

Awards
Are doctors usually pretty receptive to prescribing test boosters?

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
I thought people with low levels of test in their body are more likely for cardiac arrest than people on cycle. In some cases doesnt TRT help prevent heart issues? Or am I completely off, thanks

fivepaknh

Awards
I really don't know what my natural levels are. At 48 I'm guessing they're not that of a 22 year old. So moderate levels of test can reduce the chance of heart attack?

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
I really don't know what my natural levels are. At 48 I'm guessing they're not that of a 22 year old. So moderate levels of test can reduce the chance of heart attack?
It would be worth a shot to get a blood test to see what your testosterone levels are at currently.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd look at a blood test, too.

Heck, I had an endocrinologist talk to me about TRT and I was only 25 at the time and my test levels weren't the greatest, but still well within range (just a ways south of the median).

As for what happened to him? There are always chances that things happen and there are also flukes. I wouldn't let that scare you out of doing something you want to as long as you're well advised on the subject (i.e. you've done your homework).

MDiocre

MDiocre

Awards
Are doctors usually pretty receptive to prescribing test boosters?
Primary care physicians like Family practice or internists will likely not prescribe you T in most cases, would be my guess. However, as the condition of low T is becoming more acknowledged in the medical community, he/she would probably order the blood work necessary to diagnose the condition. You would have to express a specific concern about having low T and/or complain of the symptoms of low T. Then, if the bloodwork supports the diagnosis, the PCP would whip up a referral for an enodcrinologist (something that most insurance companies require anyway) who would subsequently treat you for low T.

As for any physician, PCP or endo, prescribing T without positive bloodwork, I dont see that happening. But thats just my opinion, theres no strict regulation on it (that im aware of).

As for your friend, a little more info would be nice. The classic picture of a younger male suddenly dropping dead from heart issues is related to Left ventricular hypertrophy, often with assymetric thickening of the interventricular septum. Although HOCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) has been associated with certain genes (suggesting that this condition is inherited) it essentially the same abnormal cardiac hypertrophy that is often associated with steroids... But the key feature is that, without warning, the athlete suddenly drops, their heart stops, and never starts back up. There is no fever, lethargy or flu-like symptoms leading up to it. Which is one of the reasons this entity is so terrifying and can only be screened for - there is no windowd for intervention.

Im a little curious about the unfortunate death of this person... If there was a fever (or any other symptoms) before arrest, that opens a different path of diagnosis. Low grade fevers can occur with the inflammation associated with MI, but high grade fever and heart failure speaks more to an infectious etiology like myocarditis. Or maybe he used a dirty needle and developed a bacterial nidus in his ventricle (endocarditis). Entities like these are just examples, but they are not associated with AAS, but are associated with fever, lethargy, flue like sx.

Just my thoughts... Good luck.

SardonicMedic

SardonicMedic

Awards
As for your friend, a little more info would be nice. The classic picture of a younger male suddenly dropping dead from heart issues is related to Left ventricular hypertrophy, often with assymetric thickening of the interventricular septum. Although HOCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) has been associated with certain genes (suggesting that this condition is inherited) it essentially the same abnormal cardiac hypertrophy that is often associated with steroids... But the key feature is that, without warning, the athlete suddenly drops, their heart stops, and never starts back up. There is no fever, lethargy or flu-like symptoms leading up to it. Which is one of the reasons this entity is so terrifying and can only be screened for - there is no windowd for intervention.

Im a little curious about the unfortunate death of this person... If there was a fever (or any other symptoms) before arrest, that opens a different path of diagnosis. Low grade fevers can occur with the inflammation associated with MI, but high grade fever and heart failure speaks more to an infectious etiology like myocarditis. Or maybe he used a dirty needle and developed a bacterial nidus in his ventricle (endocarditis). Entities like these are just examples, but they are not associated with AAS, but are associated with fever, lethargy, flue like sx.

Just my thoughts... Good luck.
My thoughts were either something related to cardiac hypertrophy or MI.

It's entirely possible that it wasn't a fever but the diaphoresis commonly associated with an MI. It sounds as if he may have had some cardiac event which caused either an embolism that caused a massive MI or left enough ischemic tissue to trigger a heart attack.

fivepaknh

Awards
I'm not privy to all the details of his death, but what I've been told was flu like symptom for a few days. The day he went to the hospital he had to be carried to the car. Thanks for the replies. I will try another cycle, but of course not stay on constantly like my friend did. He also neglected in the area of cycle support supplements.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I wonder what it would be like to be on test from a doc....

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's like not being on test if your levels are normal. I've been on trt for a couple months and I'm just starting to be able to have a functional life again. Actually gaining strength for the first time in a year.

power_house

Awards
Am I correct in saying then that TRT is a simple course of prescribed testosterone ? All be it from a legitimate source where you would expect the product to be 100% authentic ?

Would the test received from the doctor be in the form of Prop, cyp or E then ?

SardonicMedic

SardonicMedic

Awards
Am I correct in saying then that TRT is a simple course of prescribed testosterone ? All be it from a legitimate source where you would expect the product to be 100% authentic ?

Would the test received from the doctor be in the form of Prop, cyp or E then ?
Some doctors will try to start you out on the transdermal versions which can raise estrogen also and are generally ineffective. Then they usually either prescribe you an injectable form or require weekly visits for injections. Some docs are easy to get what you others aren't, helps to do your research beforehand.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It can be much more complicated than it seems. A lot people receiveing HRT have several imbalances in the body not just low T that need to be addressed. A "simple course of test" can end up making you worse off than where you started. People jump into it without ever looking for and trying correct why they have low T in the first place.

fivepaknh

Awards
I went to the wake today. It turns out he died of pneumonia. Could his use of steroids complicated the pneumonia?

SardonicMedic

SardonicMedic

Awards
I went to the wake today. It turns out he died of pneumonia. Could his use of steroids complicated the pneumonia?
Something did, 30yr old healthy people typically dont even get pneumonia, much less die from it.

fivepaknh

Awards
He did lay up in bed until it was way too late. Either way, it's a shame. Since he didn't pass do to the steroids, as least not directly, the wife isn't putting up much of a fuss with me doing one more cycle. Thanks for all the input. This site is great.