Choice of oil for injection?

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys just wondering if it really matters what type of oil I use to make injectible test products? I see a lot of guys use soy, sesame, or cottonseed but what about oils like olive, canola, etc. Does it really matter and why would you choose one over the other?

FrTimothy

FrTimothy

Awards
thinner the easier on you and easier to inject. grapeseed is my preference. Most pharmaceuticals use cottonseed.

FrTimothy

FrTimothy

Awards
Peanut?

I've heard both Peanut Oil and Flaxseed oil go rancid
fairly quickly. Flaxseed oil is relatively thin and good
for you. If it weren't for the fact that it goes rancid
easy, I'd use it just for the other benefits.

bigpetefox

bigpetefox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Grapeseed and cottonseed are pretty good.. ;)

flava

Awards
just make sure you filter the oil of choice if its not pharma. their tends to be additives in the oil like suspended flakes of vitamin E for example of the brand of grapeseed that i buy from vitamin world. you can never be to safe.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I've got the procedure down (filter, bake, aseptic technique, etc.) but wasn't sure if there was any particular reason for choice of oils. I figured it was mostly based on the viscosity of the oils and../..guess my guess was right. Thanks people, much appreciated. :)

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys just wondering if it really matters what type of oil I use to make injectible test products? I see a lot of guys use soy, sesame, or cottonseed but what about oils like olive, canola, etc. Does it really matter and why would you choose one over the other?
Yes. Grapeseed, cottenseed and the like are great for most things because there thin (I use cottonseed for most). for bases and very short esters the best I have found (for me at any rate) is Loriva canola oil. I am not sure why but after try a half dozen other this seams the best for the bases (painless)

Skye

Skye

Awards
  • Established
I've heard both Peanut Oil and Flaxseed oil go rancid
fairly quickly. Flaxseed oil is relatively thin and good
for you. If it weren't for the fact that it goes rancid
easy, I'd use it just for the other benefits.
I doubt that is a problem once you put the BA and BB into it. The BA alone will prevent any bacteria for taking hold and the BB would starve anything that tried.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Gossypol is extracted first I think, but if not, Yes. Over time, it could inhibit some people. Good point, I usually forget to mention it.

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
Just to keep everyone informed since I started this thread I decided to go with safflower oil. All seems to have went well with it so far. I have already begun the cycle with all homebrewed gear. Thanks for all the input.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I like cottonseed oil myself, and BTW I moved this here, since we have this section, lol