OT: Trying to cut up --- jump rope instead of running...

Lakevillethor

Awards
Ladies and germs,

I have had the best results with jumping rope for cutting versus any other form of cardio --- I think this is because jumping rope is really like HIIT training. I have kept almost all of my strength and lost about 15 pounds --- I am not taking anything either. I started at 195 and I am now about 180. at 195 (I am 5'5''), I thought I was the man because I could do 315 for 10 on incline. Well, now I can still do 295 for 10 after losing 15 pounds. This is significantly better than how I used to do when I would cut weight using running as my cardio source.

I just thought I would sahre my experience for those of you tryign to shed some weight. Maybe a lot of you already knew this...

I do 1 min ON, 1 min OFF for 10 cycles. Takes me 20 minutes.
-AT

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
Jumping rope may be the most efficient form of cardio in terms of caloric burn.

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
How many times a week do you do this? I've been meaning to start jumping rope instead of running, I can't stand running.

Lakevillethor

Awards
How many times a week do you do this? I've been meaning to start jumping rope instead of running, I can't stand running.
4 days per week. I don't do it on leg day (wed). Weekends off too.

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hehe, I happen to have ordered a jump rope just last night from iron minds. I saw three of our school's basketball players doing it at the gym, so I figure I should be too (our program was one the best back in the day).

Lakevillethor

Awards
hehe, I happen to have ordered a jump rope just last night from iron minds. I saw three of our school's basketball players doing it at the gym, so I figure I should be too (our program was one the best back in the day).
Where do you go to school?

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Georgetown, we suck at BBall now, but they just hired Thompson's son to coach and fired the current coach, hopefully he will bring back the glory days :)

Lakevillethor

Awards
Georgetown, we suck at BBall now, but they just hired Thompson's son to coach and fired the current coach, hopefully he will bring back the glory days :)
I went to Marquette -- Jesuit too, brotha. I would highly recommend getting a rope. It is reallyhard when you start and you get frustrated easily.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Is this a Heavy Rope your talking about? If it is they are very good for cutting and building endurance.

Lakevillethor

Awards
It is a "weighted rope," I don't like the regular ones.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1381&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

I am hoping all the jumping won't be too hard on the knees.
You might get shin splints --- I got em bad --- I had to get new shoes. that looks like a decent rope.

Take more flaxseed oil if you have knee problems (7 tablespoons daily) --- my knee pain is just a memory now.

Also, I eat more frequently when i diet than when I bulk so that may have a lot to do with it as well.

-AT

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
7 tablespoons daily?

Holy overkill.

Jo Daddy

Awards
I've found swimming to be very good for cardio as it also works the whole body.....

Lakevillethor

Awards
7 tablespoons daily?

Holy overkill.

Nah. Being as strong as I am, I used to have terrible joint problems from lifting heavy so frequently. Now they are just a memory. Don't take my word for it:

I did a thread on bb.com like 2 years ago about it. Since their server is so fucking slow I cannot locate the link. Tons of people have confirmed these findings. The thread is entitled "flaxseed oil --- take it and rid yourself of joint pain"

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know of the thread and I have had joint along with knee and back problems for the past 4 years. Flaxseed oil effects on joints (fats in general) will help but it doesn't take 7 tablspoons a day. Most likley it will take 1-2 along with other adjustements. Will you recover more from 7 tablespooons? Probasbly because your adding 98g of fat into your diet and an extra 882 calories per day. Anyone will recover faster with that but its not some special property of flaxseed oil, excpet its energy content. Anytihng high in Omega 3's will have the same benefit since they have been shown to have anti-inflamatory effects but its doesn't take anything close to 7 tablspoons.

Manwhore

Awards
I used to jump rope for 30min when i boxed. I never ran,but my couch always told me that i needed to,so i went out for a 4 mile run one day. When i was finished my run,i felt like i didn't run at all. Jumping rope is way better for endurance than running,and it's also alot easier on the knees. When you run you hit your heel to the ground,but when you jump you hit the ball of your foot to the ground. It can get very frustrating at 1st,when the rope keeps hitting your feet,but after awhile you won't even have to think about it. I guess that's like everything else
I can't remember if i had shin splints from it.

Lakevillethor

Awards
I know of the thread and I have had joint along with knee and back problems for the past 4 years. Flaxseed oil effects on joints (fats in general) will help but it doesn't take 7 tablspoons a day. Most likley it will take 1-2 along with other adjustements. Will you recover more from 7 tablespooons? Probasbly because your adding 98g of fat into your diet and an extra 882 calories per day. Anyone will recover faster with that but its not some special property of flaxseed oil, excpet its energy content. Anytihng high in Omega 3's will have the same benefit since they have been shown to have anti-inflamatory effects but its doesn't take anything close to 7 tablspoons.
yeah. You're probably right. It's a calorie game. Made a big difference in my physique though. 7 tablespoons in my shake at night slows the absorption down and helps create an anti-catabolic affect all night. Not only that, but I feel like I have a pump all the time.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It won't slow down absortion that much since its still in a liquified state and gatric emptying wont' be slowed much compared to whole foods. It certainly will be anti-catabolic because of its energy content but can easily cause a good amount of fat storage if your not careful. (thats a LOT of calories)

Manwhore

Awards
Is there a specific brand of Flax oil everyone here buys? I'm looking at natures way. I'm pretty sure that's a good brand

Lakevillethor

Awards
I am not sure how much fish it would require. At my dosage, which bobo discourages but I do not, that is 98 gams of fat. 14 grams/tablespoon x 7 tablespoons = 98 grams. 7700 mg is 7.7 grams.

So you're not even close.

Manwhore

Awards
I am not sure how much fish it would require. At my dosage, which bobo discourages but I do not, that is 98 gams of fat. 14 grams/tablespoon x 7 tablespoons = 98 grams. 7700 mg is 7.7 grams.

So you're not even close.
i was just saying how much each tablespoon had,not how much you were taking. I don't eat fish(well maybe once every 2 months)so i thought this would be good for me. There was a guy on another board saying he gained alot of solid muscle from eating... it was something like half a bottle of olive oil/day. I guess everyone thought he was joking and said not to believe him but i think he was serious. I wish i knew where that post was. He either said half a bottle or a whole bottle. Now that's alot of fat and calories. Does anyone have any liturature on different fats and benefits. I'm not sure which are better mono poly.... I know saturated isn't good. I see olive oil has more Mono fat in it than flax oil does,even though it has 1g more sat fat per serving. Isn't Mono the best fat? Yes,i am dumb :) I have to go get some food now.

Harland

Harland

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well thanks to this thread, i bought me a jump rope, 5 bucks from wal-mart, the 1stop shop :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Workout Logs 8
Weight Loss 12
Weight Loss 6
Weight Loss 37
MsHulk Training Forum 28